Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kid Stays in the Picture, The: It's been a long time coming.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: It's been a long time coming... Reply with quote

This is such a good book, please please please, someone let me know how good the flick is. Unless it sucks, in which case I don't wanna know.

Oz - Nothing if not unpredictable
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw it today. (***) out of (****)

Now, I have not read the book, so I have no idea how to compare it, but as a documentary, it mostly works. The film uses Robart Evans' audiobook recording as narration, so it doesn't sound all that natural, but that didn't bother me that much. The way in which the filmmakers made still photographs come to life was wonderful and the movie moves like gangbusters.

The problem...(don't read on if you don't want to hear problems)...is that by the film's end, I felt as though I still hadn't learned much about Robert Evans except what was on the surface. It seemed pretty self-serving (which is an adjective I've heard used to describe the book, so I guess that makses sense). So, I guess if people want to have a surface knowledge of Robert Evans and why he was one of the most important moguls in Hollywood history, then definitely have a look. In fact, if you're just a film fan and you wanna see an entertaining movie about the business, then go and have fun. It's very entertaining. But if you want to know what makes this guy tick and about his personal life (growing up, growing old, changing with the times, etc.), than maybe the book would be better.

But make sure you stick around for the credits to see one of our best actors give his impression of "the Kid" himself. Hilarious!

Collin
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not read the book, but am looking forward to the doc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: