Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criticwatch 2003
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Criticwatch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENE SHALIT
Bio
(The Today Show)
(2003 – 22 Quotes)

The Hunted – The superior new thriller pits Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro in a confrontation of ferocious intensity…It pulsates with chaser and racer – consummate actors consuming the screen. William Friedkin has directed with a vivid eye, a racing pace and a laser insight into the film’s combatants who had me nailed to my seat.
A Mighty Wind – Flows with wit and laughter…will blow your blues away.
Holes – Wholly enjoyable! Adventure, surprises, mystery, humor, and plenty of spunk. (EW!)
Bruce Almighty – “Uproarious” should be held back for comedies worthy of it. And Hallelujah, it has come in Bruce Almighty. Wildly funny. I haven’t heard such an uproar of seat-shaking laughter in years.
Finding Nemo – Spectacular animation, sophisticated wit and dazzling, dizzy characters!
The Italian Job – A captivating joy ride. It cascades with treats: double crosses, triple steals and wil getaway stunts. It’s a high-spirited high in high-life heists.
Hulk – Amusing, rousing and hugely enjoyable. Smart story. Slick script. Sharp cast. One of the season’s happiest surprises.
Pirates of the Caribbean – Three cheers for the rip-roaring Pirates of the Caribbean
Johnny English – Let’s have some fun! Johnny English is a tip-top comedy. Atkinson combines a twist of Inspector Clouseau and a dash of James Bond with his own bumbling ditsy self. Refreshingly silly.
Seabiscuit – Seabiscuit will have you cheering a champion – a movie that’s a winner across the board. This handsomely crafted movie, written and directed by Gary Ross, is enriched by some of the most fabulous racing scenes ever filmed.
Dirty Pretty Things – This mystery thriller is as tight as a knot! No word is wasted, no moment misspent. Brilliantly directed by Stephen Frears.
Winged Migration – No other film this summer matches the sublime serenity of Winged Migration. The almost miraculous odyssey of millions of birds. A triumph!
Anything Else – Cascades with laughter…before you see anything else, see Anything Else.
Secondhand Lions – Secondhand Lions is One Of The Year’s Happiest Movies.
Intolerable Cruelty – Smartly entertaining! Clooney is most appealing, while Zeta-Jones exudes a classy dazzlement.
Runaway Jury – A runaway hit with powerhouse performances! A thriller whose outcome is a walloping surprise!
Radio – This is Gooding’s most artful, most accomplished portrayal.
The Human Stain – The Human Stain is a majestic film! Nicole Kidman is a triumph! She’s today’s most spectacular combination of beauty, sexuality and acting artistry. Superbly directed by Robert Benton
Brother Bear – Brother Bear is a spirited, grand adventure that will delight!
Looney Tunes: Back In Action – Jubilant…Inspired. I give it a 21-fun salute. Quick like a bunny, duck into Looney Tunes: Back In Action
In America - A heart-vaulting film that's a cinch for my 10 Best list.
The Last Samurai – An epic adventure of vast proportions, a spectacle marvelous to behold. Every performance enriches the film. Flawlessly directed by Edward Zwick, a transfixing, majestic experience.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:59 am; edited 13 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOEL SIEGEL
(Good Morning America)
Bio
Movie Reviews
(2002 Whore Ranking - #3)
(2003 - 27 Quotes)

The Hunted - The Hunted is William Friedkin’s most entertaining and thrilling film since To Live and Die in L.A. Tommy Lee Jones – I’ve never seen him like this in a film. He’s absolutely captivating to watch. These characters are very much physical creations by two outstanding physical performers. Breathless…the climax is just great.
Head of State – Chris Rock wins in a landslide of laughs
A Mighty Wind – One of the most brilliant films of the year.
It Runs in the Family – It makes you laugh, it makes you cry. What more can you want from a movie?
Spellbound – It’s a H-I-T!
The Matrix Reloaded – An incredible ride
Finding Nemo – One of the year’s best films, animated, live action or underwater!
Rugrats Go Wild – It’s too much fun! I had a good time. Fun for grown-ups.
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas – Spectacular, breathtaking and funny. This is the most fun, the most exciting action film I’ve seen this summer. (opened July 2)
Pirates of the Caribbean – The most fun I’ve had this summer at the movies! Johnny Depp is just great! (opened July 9)
Johnny English – Funny! A film you can take your kids to.
Seabiscuit – Two hours of gloriously beautiful filmmaking. Oscar-caliber work that combines to make your heart race – a great movie.
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life – The rare summer sequel that’s more fun than the first.
American Splendor – One of the finest films of the year.
Dirty Pretty Things – A near perfect film! One of the best of the year.
The School of Rock – Who’d a thunk this’d be a great movie? Raise the goblet! Jack Black makes the joy, the passion, even the innocence of rock and roll just a little bigger than life. The band rocks, and so does this movie.
The Rundown – One of the year’s biggest, most fun movies!
The Concert for George – A perfect concert film.
Intolerable Cruelty – This is a classic Hollywood screwball comedy made brand new, hysterical gags, slapstick moments, perfect timing, dialog so sharp it leaves teeth marks. George Clooney really is a 21st century Cary Grant and Catherine Zeta-Jones is, of course, a 21st century fox.
Mystic River – Mystic River is the first great film of 2003. Told so simply by director Clint Eastwood, the only special effect is genius. Nothing gets in the way of the story Eastwood and this incredible cast is telling except, maybe, your tears. I’m glad I’m not an Oscar voter, I don’t know how I could decide between Tim Robbins or Sean Penn for a Best Actor nomination.
Scary Movie 3 – Funnier than the first two! I fell down laughing…This is funny, funny, funny! The third time’s the charm!
Elf - Giant-sized family fun.
The Cat in the Hat – It doesn’t get much better than this. A perfect marriage of Mike Myers mayhem and Dr. Seuss silly. A little bit of our childhoods live again.
Bad Santa – One of the funniest films of the year.
Timeline - Pure popcorn fun at the movies!
Something’s Gotta Give - …I loved it. Diane Keaton, an Oscar nomination, she could go all the way. The film is that good, it is that much fun.
Cheaper By The Dozen – Out of a possible 10 it gets a 12.
Calendar Girls – A sheer delight!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:52 pm; edited 12 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEONARD MALTIN
(Hot Ticket/Playboy)
Bio
(2002 Whore Ranking - #8)
(2003 - 31 Quotes)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-man/sho-sunday-ebert21.html
Roger Ebert’s Answer Man Column (09/21/03)
Q. I've been soaking up the screenings at The World 3-D Film Expo in Hollywood, at the Egyptian Theatre, and loving every minute of it. Last night I went to see the film "Charge at Indian River," and knowing nothing about it, I looked it up in my handy-dandy Leonard Maltin guide. He gave it two and a half stars. Fast-forward to the screening, and Leonard Maltin is in front of me for popcorn. I asked him about the film, and he said he hadn't seen it. Is it acceptable for critics to lie in their movie guides simply to make it seem like they've seen everything? Travis Baker, Calabasas, Calif.
A. No, but Maltin was not lying. He was being scrupulously honest. No single human being could see all 19,000 titles in the invaluable Maltin guide, and he is up front about using an expert staff of editors and contributors. And now you know that in the next edition the review of "Charge at Indian River" will be his.

The Recruit – Genuinely exciting! Watching Al Pacino is always a treat, and Colin Farrell matches him move for move.
Daredevil – Great fun!…Moviemaking done right.
The Hunted – The Hunted is one of the first bright spots on the movie horizon this year, an action thriller that’s genuinely exciting. All of the promise of this intriguing script is realized by director Friedkin, who hasn’t made hearts pump this hard since his unforgettable street chase in The French Connection. An action thriller that pulls you in and won’t let you go. Gritty and exciting!
The Core – Hot! Fun to watch! An entertaining ride!…Genuinely exciting!
Assassination Tango – Hot! I loved watching Duvall at work…the tango scenes are fascinating.
X2: X-Men United – In your face excitement with an unbeatable cast!
Finding Nemo – Unlike any movie you’ve ever seen! Disney/Pixar have topped themselves again! You could be 5 to 95, and you’ll enjoy this film.
The In-Laws – Albert Brooks and Michael Douglas are terrific together.
The Italian Job – Hot! I hope the rest of the summer movies are this good. A rare film where the action and the characters are both completely satisfying. Incredible car chases like you’ve never seen before. All the action you could possible want in one movie and then some.
Together – A beautiful, moving film.
The Hard Word – Sexy, funny and suspenseful!
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – Hot! High-octane entertainment
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas – Adventure, fantasy, romance and comedy all in one package…a lot of fun.
Freaky Friday – Hot! Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan couldn’t be better.
The Battle of Shaker Heights - Hot! Fresh and Original! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Matchstick Men – The first bull’s-eye of the fall season.
Under the Tuscan Sun – Diane Lane's never been better. What a charmer!
The Fighting Temptations – Hot! Hard to resist!
The School of Rock – This is the very definition of a feel good movie! Jack Black has never been so engaging, Joan Cusack is gloriously funny, and the kids are wonderful. Great fun!
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – Absolute dynamite! Unlike any movie you’ll see this year! Quentin Tarantino is a true original.
Mystic River – Hot. Sean Penn proves again that he is one of the finest actors alive…and he’s matched by a peerless cast of co-stars.
Runaway Jury – Hot! What a treat to watch this cast in action.
The Human Stain – One of the best films of the year! I was captivated…it’s exceptional every step of the way!
Brother Bear – The moose are hilarious, and Phil Collins’ music is terrific! An entertaining film in the tradition of classic Disney storytelling.
Love Actually – Hot! An incomparable cast…some of the most charming and appealing actors in the world.
Bad Santa – John Ritter is so funny! It’s wonderful watching him give such a good comedy performance.
The Barbarian Invasions – The best film I’ve seen so far this year!
Something’s Gotta Give - Nicholson and Keaton are incomparable. What a privilege to watch these two consummate comedy actors at their best.
Cold Mountain – One of the best pictures of the year! It’s moviemaking at its very best. There’s no one connected with this movie who isn’t worthy of being honored.
House of Sand and Fog – Devastating... not a false note or a wasted moment. Connelly and Kingsley are superb.
Paycheck – Double Hot!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:28 pm; edited 14 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOYCE KULHAWIK
(Hot Ticket)
Bio
Movie Reviews
Hot Ticket (website)

(2003 - 11 Quotes)

Final Destination 2 - It will scare the pants off you…Bring an extra pair!
Phone Booth – Keeps you hanging on until the last second!
The Shape of Things – A very smart, provocative film with a continual string of surprises and an ending that shocks!
Daddy Day Care – Hysterical
Down with Love – Smart!
Rugrats Go Wild – Hot! Bruce Willis’ performance is brilliant and so funny! Delightful! I had a good time. Great for kids, and a wonderful time for adults too.
How To Deal – A refreshing movie that celebrates life’s wonderfully messy, out-of-order moments.
Matchstick Men – Deeply satisfying emotionally and intellectually. It works on every level and is anchored by the three remarkable performances in Cage, Rockwell and Lohman.
Intolerable Cruelty – George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones dazzle us with their white-hot chemistry.
House of Sand and Fog - (Quoted on TV Ads)
Paycheck – Double Hot!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:30 pm; edited 7 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THELMA ADAMS
(US Weekly)
Bio
(2002 Whore Ranking - One to Watch in 2003)
(2003 - 26 Quotes / 1 Home Video)

Quote from Miss Adams in the CNN piece on Criticwatch (08/28/03): "The expectation [of the studios] is that [reviewers will] come up with something quotable in one sentence," says Us magazine reviewer Thelma Adams. "It's part of the give-and-take." There are also the reviewers who "will say anything to get their name in the paper," she continues. "They won't go out of their way to write a positive review, but ... they'll play ball" for the glory of their own words in extra-large type, publication duly noted. "It's free advertising for your publication," she adds. “

Dark Blue – The first great movie of 2003.
What a Girl Wants – A warm-hearted comedy.
The Good Thief – A mart, tart, satisfying heist movie loaded with sexual tension..You’ll leave the theater on a high.
Malibu’s Most Wanted – Big laughs in a plain white rapper.
Laurel Canyon – Absolutely pitch perfect!
X2: X-Men United – X-citing! X-traordinary! Director Bryan Singer aces an ambitious combo of character development, narrative muscle and mind-bending action.
Blue Car – A sensitive sexual duet!
The Matrix Reloaded – Amazing
The In-Laws – A rollicking ride. Hilarious!
The Italian Job – Full-throttle entertainment…This ‘Job’ is sheer pleasure.
2 Fast 2 Furious – A ‘Lethal Weapon’ combo of action and humor, resulting in a sequel that’s more fun than the original.
Rugrats Go Wild – We are just wild about Rugrats!...Almost more fun for the parents than it is for the kids.
28 Days Later – Chilling and fulfilling
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life – It’s totally, totally fun! Better than the original, this cradle rocks!
Uptown Girls - Uptown Girls just want to have fun! Exuberant Murphy radiates a generous,
contagious spirit and Fanning is clearly the child star to watch.
Matchstick Men – A genuine, feel-good flick.
Lost in Translation – Getting Lost Never Felt So Good!
Wonderland – Wonderland is wonderful!
Intolerable Cruelty – Huge laughs! The antic screwball comedy has an ideal love match in Clooney and Zeta-Jones, a sexy power duo down to the last perfectly arched eyebrow. A comedy made in heaven.
In the Cut – A killer thriller!
Beyond Borders – A sweeping romance like Doctor Zhivago…a global affair to remember.
Pieces of April – Witty and wise! An awesome ensemble. April showers us with joy.
The Human Stain – A high-water mark in American movies 2003. Screenwriter Nicholas Meyer’s Oscar-worthy adaptation of Philip Roth’s novel is flat-out great storytelling. Anthony Hopkins gives an intellectually rich, emotionally subtle performance. Wisely directed by Robert Benton.
The Cat in the Hat – Purr-fect!
Gothika – A total scream!
Stuck On You - 2003's funniest comedy!
(Credited to US Weekly)
It Runs in the Family – Funny, searing and satisfying!
Spellbound – See it now!
(Home Video)
The Jamie Kennedy Experiment: The Complete First Season DVD – …The Jamie Kennedy Experiment is a hit…

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:56 am; edited 14 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICHARD CORLISS
(Time)
Bio
Columns (Time Magazine)

(2003 - 20 Quotes)
(After The Matrix Reloaded Early Review Debacle – You Are Officially On Watch, Rich!)

Man on the Train – For a retreat into luminous, ageless film craft, queue up now for Patrice Leconte’s Man on the Train. It’s rare to see a film so at ease with its size, so effortless in its charm and poignancy.
The Matrix Reloaded – Strap yourself in
Finding Nemo – An astonishment! Refreshingly different with unmatched graphic elegance.
Together – Superb!
Pirates of the Caribbean – Buy a ticket, take a seat, have a ball!
Dirty Pretty Things – A sharp, smart film!
Buffalo Soldiers – Cool and alert, Joaquin Phoenix gives a performance worth savering.
Open Range – It’s a real and rare pleasure to see Costner and Duvall together – They make a terrific pair.
September 11 – Ambitious & provocative!
Matchstick Men – A winner.
My Life Without Me - Sarah Polley shines! The Toronto Film Festival could esaily fill its own
Best Actress Oscar Category... Consider Sarah Polley.
Intolerable Cruelty – Witty! This is a farce with chic repartee, devious twists and a cheerfully sardonic take on the human need for greed.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – Exhilarating, daring and fun! An A+. Kill Bill is about the motion, emotion and very movieness of movies. It plays like a non-stop compilation of Jackie Chan’s best fights. Tarantino expands movies into a new dimension. There’s an exhilarating spirit to the fights…in this sense Kill Bill is the greatest dance film since West Side Story. An A+
Veronica Guerin – Inspiring! Blanchett illuminates every moment onscreen.
The Human Stain – Haunting, elegant and thoughtful!
Love Actually - An epic romantic comedy. You will leave the theatre with your heart humming happily.
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World - For all the movie's perfect storms and burly skirmishes, its art is in the creation of people the audince comes to know so well after two hours that it can read their thoughts. So 'M&C' is to movies what Russell Crowe is to acting. With subtlety and power, it explores the complexities of men at war,
even with themselves. It puts passion into action, and the thrill into thought."
Tupac Resurrection – This artful assembly of photos, film outtakes and TV clips is all the more fascinating for being…true. This fine, persuasive movie will have to serve as his testament, and it’s a fitting one.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Here is an epic wioth literature's depth adn opera's splendor. The film celebrates old-fashioned martial virtues: honor, duty, comradeship, sacrifice. Peter Jackson is the true lord of these Rings. He chose and directed a perfect cast and orchestrated the smashing visual effects.
The Fog of War - Spellbinding!
Cold Mountain – The year’s most rapturous love story! A grand epic! The acting is full of satisfactions and surprises. As for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, Renne Zellweger should take it by acclamation.
(Time Magazine)
Bend It Like Beckham - One of this year’s brightest, funniest, and most refreshing films. Bend It Like Beckham scores!
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World – Is to movies what Russell Crowe is to acting. It puts the passion into action.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:37 pm; edited 14 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAREN DURBIN
(Elle)
(2003 - 16 Quotes)

Gerry – Exhilarating. Spectacularly scenic.
The Safety of Objects – Worth every searing minute!
Bend It Like Beckham – Exhilarating!
Stevie – A gripping, startingly honest portrait! Has all the heartstopping, will-the-kid-make-it drama
The Good Thief – Witty, romantic entertainment with a sophisticated heart…
A Mighty Wind – Christopher Guest mines comic gold. Hilarious.
Swimming Pool – The perfect summer treat
Le Divorce - A deliriously stylish new comedy from Merchant-Ivory... rich comic
filmmaking.
Thirteen – A riveting, razor-sharp portrait of the way women live now…with superb performances by Holly Hunter, Nikki Reed and Evan Rachel Wood! …A fearless script, action-movie pacing.
Don’t Tempt Me - Intricate and delightful. A smoldering Penelope Cruz steals the movie.
Lost in Translation - A smart, terrific new comedy with a surprisingly emotional core. Chief among the pleasures is a great performance by Bill Murray.
Matchstick Men - Ridley Scott has a wealth of tricks up his sleeve in this twisty caper comedy
My Life Without Me - Smart, funny and absolutely heartwrenching! The indie answer to 'Terms of
Endearment'! Sarah Polley is superb!
Veronica Guerin – A powerful thriller!...Blanchett hasn’t been this electrifying since Elizabeth.
Elephant – Exhilarating! More than any other director working today, Gus Van Sant understands what a deadly business youth can be.
The Cooler - Passion, wit and heart-in-mouth suspense... with a trio of terrific performances!
(Credited to Elle)
Buffalo Soldiers – Slick, sexy and wickedly smart!
The Secret Lives of Dentists – Must see!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:36 am; edited 9 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEAH ROZEN
(People)
Bio
(2003 – 29 Quotes)

Final Destination 2 – Playfully diabolical.
The Jungle Book 2 – Jungle fun and plenty of humor!
Bringing Down the House – House of laughs
Bend It Like Beckham – A winner! Hugely enjoyable!
The Core – Escapist fun
Phone Booth – Engrossing!
Raising Victor Vargas – Victor Victorius! A rare film about teens that gets them right.
Spellbound – EX-CELL-ENT!
Swimming Pool – An elegant mindbender! Take the plunge! Keeps you guessing about what’s really going on right up until the final scene! Not since Memento has there been a film that so successfully keeps you guessing!
Legally Blonde 2 – Witherspoon is a wonder.
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – T3 is the most welcome surprise so far this summer.
The Secret Lives of Dentists – A secret worth sharing.
Thirteen - …impeccably acted.
Passionada – A feel good love story.
American Splendor - Truly splendid
Lost in Translation - ****! Once in a long while, a film comes along that is different from anything else out thesre and yet perfect in its own singular way. Funny, moving and profound all at the same time!
Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star – There’s fun to be had here.
Under the Tuscan Sun – This Tuscany earns its place in the sun.
Mystic River – A powerhouse cast and Robbins is possibly the best of all.
School of Rock – Jack Black rocks!
Pieces of April – Katie Holmes, Patricia Clarkson and Oliver Platt are all terrific!
Love Actually - Get ready for fun.
Master & Commander – Hollywood filmmaking at its smartest and most satisfying. Crowe again proves he is that rarity: a major movie star who can actually act.
Bad Santa – A hilariously nasty, for-adults-only Christmas treat!
In America - ****
Big Fish - A brilliantly fantastical film. 'Big Fish' end up hooking a viewer emotionally as few movies have this year. Don't miss it.
House of Sand and Fog – Superb. Long after the credits have rolled on this saga, the characters and their fates will continue to haunt you. House dazzles with something better than special effects: character and story.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – Visually spectacular

(Only attributed to People Magazine. Is that you Leah?)
Hulk – All hail the conquering the Hulk.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:28 pm; edited 15 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

NEWSWEEK
(Yes, the whole magazine)
(2003 - 1 Quote)
(They don’t like to name their critics in most ads. Ever wonder why?)

Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle – The perfect encore. More action, more jokes, more skin – and more Moore.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

JULIA DAHL
(Marie Claire)
(2003 - NO Quotes)

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEPHEN HOLDEN

Movie Reviews (Rotten Tomatoes)
(2003 - 31 Quotes)

Till Human Voices Wake Us – A romantic ghost story! The movie bases much if its imagery on the mellifluous lines of (T.S. Eliot’s) Prufrock.
Spun – A tour de force…
Autumn Spring - A soothing comedy.
Spider – A cinematic maze…Brilliantly realized. Miss Richardson executes an extraordinary feat!
Rivers & Tides – Ravishingly beautiful!
Laurel Canyon – Superbly acted! Further evidence of Frances McDormand’s exceptional dramatic range…she emits the sparks of a sultry screen siren.
Winged Migration – Breathtaking! Winged Migration transports you to an exalted realm!
The Sea – An amusing comedy that recalls The Celebration. The film’s flamboyant portrayals of characters…have a malicious comic edge.
Bruce Almighty – A rambunctiously funny comedy!
The Italian Job – Impeccable timing, steady kinetic drive and superbly choreographed chase sequences…Feels like a smooth, exciting whoosh down a ski slope.
Finding Nemo – Endlessly inventive. The humor bubbling through Finding Nemo is fresh and sophisticated.
Respiro – Bursts with such pulsing vitality! Valeria Golino radiates a free-spirited vitality that recalls the young Sophia Loren
Jet Lag – Juliette Binoche gives a beautifully detailed performance!
Washington Heights – Teems with life, and its star, Mr. Perez, has charisma to burn.
The Housekeeper – A tasty French soufflé
Camp – Drop dead funny! Irresistibly Effervescent
Carnage - A viscerally unsettling comedy... of astonishingly originality. The find of
his year's Rendez-vous With French Cinema!
Marci X – Damon Wayans gives a performance of immense charm…has the tone, attitude and choreographed buoyancy of a broadway musical.
Stoked – Skillfully organized! The clips of Gator in his glory days are thrilling demonstrations of youthful bravado and agility.
The Other Side of the Bed – A warmblooded Spanish sex comedy that leaves you smiling.
Demonlover – Singular & Provocative. Bold. A diabolical techno thriller.
Cabin Fever – A tempting teens-in-the-woods bloodbath!
Casa de los Babys – Resonates with truth!
School of Rock – Jack Black gives a roaring, star-making performance. His incandesecent comic energy should establish him as the screen’s most popular rock-fueled wild man. School of Rock is a hilarious cotton-candy fantasy with a beat.
Scary Movie 3 – Scary Movie 3 has been given a shot of adrenaline by the original spoof-meister, David Zucker!...The evil genius who pioneered the comic genre…with Airplane.
Luther – Ravishingly beautiful
In My Skin - Inescapably gripping!
Die Mommie Die – Charles Busch exudes a genuine screen charisma
The Fog of War - If there is one movie that ought to be studied by military and civilian leaders around the world, it is 'The Fog of War.
Carnage – A comedy of astonishing originality!
Monster – Unforgettable…recalls Hilary Swank’s Oscar-winning turn in Boys Don’t Cry.

(Credited to New York Times)
Party Monster – Seductive!
Cold Creek Manor – Cold Creek Manor belongs to the Cape Fear tradition of thrillers. Director Mike Figgis is a master at conjuring atmosphere charged with sexual paranoia.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:31 pm; edited 14 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOU LUMENICK
(New York Post)
(2003 - 19 Quotes)

Stone Reader – ***1/2! Don’t miss this one! This is the finest, most poetic, entertaining and moving documentary since the very different Bowling for Columbine.
Dreamcatcher – A creepy supernatural thriller
The Good Thief - **** The year’s first must-see movie!
The Dancer Upstairs – An intense thriller!
Manic – A gritty teenage version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
X2: X-Men United – X-cellent!
Together – Irresistible!
Seabiscuit - **** The summer’s finest movie!
Camp - ***1/2 Miss this sleeper at your peril
Freaky Friday – A surprisingly hilarious comedy with winning performances by Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan!
American Splendor – One of the year’s best movies.
Lost in Translation - ****! A must-see movie!
Mambo Italiano – You don’t have to be gay or Italian to enjoy Mambo Italiano!
School of Rock – A hip & Consistently hilarious comedy. Jack Black goes to the head of the class in School of Rock
The Cooler - Alec Baldwin gives his best performance in years!
The Triplets of Belleville – An eye-popping saga! The year’s best animated movie!
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – This masterpiece takes its rightful place among such classics as Gone with the Wind and Lawrence of Arabia.
Cold Mountain – A total achievement!
House of Sand and Fog – Brilliantly acted, a remarkable directing debut by Perelman…House of Sand and Fog will amply reward audiences willing to go along with its ride into the depths of its characters souls…Kingsley’s best work since Gandhi, Connelly is at the top of her game…Shohreh Aghdashloo gives the year’s most searingly unforgettable performance.
(Credited to New York Post)
9 Dead Gay Guys – The most offensive movie of the year.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:38 pm; edited 10 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLAUDIA PUIG
(USA Today)
(2003 - 18 Quotes)

Agent Cody Banks – Combine the cool gadgetry and exciting special effects of Die Another Day with the derring-do of Spy Kids, spice it up with a little comedy and romance, and you get a movie to delight Tweens.
Bend It Like Beckham - ***1/2
XX/XY – The honesty exposed in revelatory.
Holes – An action-adventure family film with heart as well as humor.
Together – The soundtrack alone is worth the price of admission. Celebrates music and the bonds of love and family.
Finding Nemo – An undersea treasure. Breathtaking, mesmerizing…a vibrant and epic adventure.
Whale Rider – Contemporary and timeless!
Pirates of the Caribbean – Humor, action and thrills…Pirates is the summer blockbuster we’ve been waiting for!
Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over – Delivers action and excitement. A vivid fantasy world that’s all the more alive in 3-D
Once Upon a Time in Mexico – Antonio Banderas is perfect for the role.
Intolerable Cruelty – A deliciously good time! The drop-dead gorgeous duo Catherine Zeta-Jones and George Clooney are in the classic mold of larger-than-life movie stars, something current cinema rarely provides.
Love Actually – Love Actually is irresistible. You’d have to be Ebenezer Scrooge not to walk out smiling!
Brother Bear – Brother Bear is a sweet celebration
21 Grams - ****! A triumph! Uncommonly exhilarating in its honesty. One emerges extraordinarily moved. This is cinematic art in its highest form.
In America – Touching…uplifting and hopeful…In America is a classic…
Stuck On You – Very funny! A hoot!
Girl with a Pearl Earring - ****! Mesmerizing! A gem! Oscar voters should recognize Scarlett Johansson
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - **** An unprecedented achievement. The third film vaults into the stratosphere of classic movies.
(Credited to “USA Today”)
It Runs in the Family – Worth watching!
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life – One of the most jaw-dropping stunts in this summer’s crop of action films isn’t a stunt at all, people actually fly in Tomb Raider!
Freaky Friday – Belly laughs aplenty and a rollicking good time!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:30 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTHER NEWSPAPERS

WILLIAM ARNOLD
(Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

The Core – Exciting…Imaginative…The pace skillfully builds to a definitive climax. ([i]What? It’s not EXHILARATING!?[[i])
X2: X-Men United – X-hilarating!
The Matrix Reloaded – Exhilarating
Together - ****! Epic! Sweeping!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The San Francisco Examiner

JEFFREY M. ANDERSON
(2003 - 7 Quotes)

Head of State – Very funny…Every red-blooded American owes it to himself or herself to see it.
The Good Thief – An all-time great performance by Nick Nolte!
Identity – The most satisfying and accomplished thriller in recent memory.
Lost in Translation - ****! A Masterpiece!
Under the Tuscan Sun – Pure bliss! If one of the functions of movies is to take us away for two hours, Under the Tuscan Sun succeeds gloriously.
Looney Tunes: Back In Action – A hugely entertaining ride.
Bad Santa – The year’s funniest film!

JOE LEYDON
(2002 Whore Ranking – One to Watch in 2003)
Bio
(2003 - NO Quotes)

The San Francisco Chronicle

MICK LaSALLE
(2003 - 8 Quotes)

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days – A laugh machine!
Laurel Canyon – McDormand’s best showcase since Fargo! There’s a world here that audiences may well want to experience more than once.
Confidence – A very smart thriller!
A Mighty Wind – The best comedy so far this year!
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen – The League is a movie to enjoy! It comments on the anxieties facing the world today…with cleverness and a sense of fun.
Dopamine – There’s a beauty to this movie.
Veronica Guerin – A smart, brisk thriller!
In the Cut - ****

C.W. NEVIUS
(2003 - 3 Quotes)

Better Luck Tomorrow - ****! A tour de force.
The Lizzie McGuire Movie - ****!
Rugrats Go Wild – Bruce Willis as Spike the wise-cracking dog, NOW THAT’S FUNNY!

RUTHE STEIN
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

The Other Side of the Bed – The most sex-infused movie musical ever made
My Life Without Me - Sarah Polley is luminous!

ED GUTHMANN
(2003 - 2 Quote)

Autumn Spring - Bordsky is adorable and cunning.
The Sea – Fearless!

PETER HARTLAUB
(2003 - 1 Quote)

Once Upon a Time in Mexico – Excellent…

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:43 pm; edited 10 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ELEANOR RINGEL GILLESPIE
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

Dreamcatcher – A king-sized scare. Brings you to the edge of your seat.
X2: X-Men United – Stands so well on its own, you don’t need to have seen its predecessor

SONIA MURRAY
(2003 - 1 Quote)

2 Fast 2 Furious – Races along at an engaging, radar-busting pace…

SARAH BETH RICE
(2003 - 1 Quote)

Holes – It’s a great, great movie!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOX-TV

Shawn Edwards
Jim Ferguson
Bill Zwecker

OMAR LINARES
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

Bringing Down the House – Hilarious!
Finding Nemo – Adults will go back and see this movie again, even without their kids!
Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle – Full Throttle is twice as fun and twice as sexy…
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – Arnold is back and better than ever

FRED SAXON
(2003 - 9 Quotes)

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days – Hudson & McConaughey light up the screen in a sparkling romantic comedy.
Dysfunktional Family – Shakes it up and rocks the house!
The In-Laws – Will have you in stitches.
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – Hold on to your seat and get ready for the ride of your life!
Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star – Lots of laughs and surprises!
Matchstick Men – Three of the best performances of the year!
Beyond Borders – Powerful and passionate. Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen are extraordinary together.
Scary Movie 3 – Outrageous to the third power!
Looney Tunes: Back In Action – Brilliant! You’ll want to see it again!

STEVE OLDFIELD
(Fox Orlando)
(2003 - 9 Quotes)

Willard – Crispin Glover does an amazing job. A captivating film, reminiscent of Hitchcock.
Ghosts of the Abyss – Don’t miss it! Director James Cameron deserves another Oscar for his amazing work.
Pirates of the Caribbean - **** The must-see movie of the summer!
Veronica Guerin – One of the year’s best films. Cate Blanchett is brilliant. An Oscar-caliber performance!
Radio – Cuba Gooding Jr. and Ed Harris are terrific!
Beyond Borders – One of the year’s best films. This movie has it all: gripping drama, heart-pounding action and a beautiful love story. Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen give Oscar-caliber performances
The Missing - Ron Howard delivers a powerful film.
Bad Santa - Hilarious! Wickedly funny! The guilty pleasure of the year.
Timeline – A wild ride back in time.

BILL McCUDDY
(Fox News Channel)
(2003 - 3 Quotes)

Basic – Travolta’s best performance in years.
Head of State – Hail to the chief of comedy – Rock rules!
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas – Sensational…this summer’s action packed thrill ride.

BRETT MARTIN
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

View from the Top – A first class comedy!
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – The best summer movie I have seen in years.

DAVID VIGGIANO
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

Rugrats Go Wild – Adults and kids alike will “go wild” for this wacky adventure. Bruce Willis as the voice of Spike? Inspired!
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life – Twice the action! Twice the adventure!
(Notice TWO quotes for Paramount films)

BOB SHAW
(2003 - 1 Quote)
Johnny English – The funniest film I’ve seen this year. Johnny English is the Inspector Clouseau for a new generation.

DIANA JORDAN
(2003 - NO Quotes)

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:44 pm; edited 9 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS-TV

David Sheehan
Jim Svejda

PATTY SPITLER
(2003 - 5 Quotes)

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days – What a terrific, fun, insightful, witty work.
The Life of David Gale – Emotional!
Dysfunktional Family – Wow! Be ready to be shocked!
Identity – Hold on – this is one incredible ride.
S.W.A.T. – Powerful performances shake your senses in S.W.A.T. Colin Farrell is fabulous.

JOHN PROCACCINO
(Kiro-TV (CBS), Seattle)
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

Daredevil – A summer blockbuster in the dead of winter.
The Core – Grab your tickets now and get set for the wildest trip you may ever take. A dynamite cast heads a dynamite sci-fi adventure that will rattle you to the core.
Assassination Tango – It is erotic, dangerous and strangely sweet, just like the tango! Robert Duvall is simply amazing! He is electric and so is Assassination Tango.
Hulk – Simply astonishing!

SANDIE NEWTON
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days – Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey’s on-screen chemistry absolutely lights up the screen-they are an irresistible combination.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen – A mind-blowing adventure that’ll keep you captivated from beginning to end. One of the most imaginative films I’ve ever seen.
Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over – The most FUN you will have with your family this summer!
Gigli – Sexy and fun.

LISA PETRILLO
(WFOR/CBS (Miami)/Extra)
(2003 - 1 Quote)

Basic – Totally mesmerizing.

ROBYN CARTER
(2003 - 1 Quote)

The Magdalene Sisters - ****! The Oscar race has begun! The most powerful film of the year!

PATRICK HARWOOD
(2003 - 1 Quote)

The Fighting Temptations – I laughed a lot. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBC-TV

Jeffrey Lyons

SARA EDWARDS
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

Daredevil – Sexier than Spider-Man, Daredevil takes you to places you’ve never been before.
Down with Love – Delightfully clever!
Rugrats Go Wild – A perfect family film – full of fun and plenty of laughs!
Runaway Jury – Watching Hackman and Hoffman face-off is the ultimate prizefight you’ve been waiting to see.

SAM HALLENBECK
(Daytime on NBC-TV/Tampa)
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

The Recruit – Pacino is flawless in what’s certainly the year’s first great film. Colin Farrell is the industry’s next superstar.
Finding Nemo – An all-ages treat that’s funny, touching and downright dazzling.
Beyond Borders – Beyond Borders is a thought-provoking and emotional film.
Brother Bear – A fun, heartwarming adventure for kids AND adults.

MICHELLE SOLOMON
(NBC-TV, Detroit)
(2003 - 1 Quote)

Legally Blonde 2 – I laughed so hard, I fell out of my Jimmy Choo shoes!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC-TV

Jeffrey K. Howard
Joanna Langfield

MIKE CIDONI
(ABC-TV)
(2002 Whore Ranking – #15)
(2003 - 8 Quotes)

Bringing Down the House – A crowd-pleasing comedy! Not since There’s Something About Mary has a film delivered laughs as loud, long and hard.
Holes - ****
X2: X-Men United – X-traordinary!
The Italian Job - **** The sleeper smash of the season: An instant crime-caper classic! A suspenseful, side-splitting sensation!
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – This film is amazing.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen – LXG is in a league of its own. The epitome of cool
Kill Bill Vol. 1 - ****! Outrageously entertaining!
Runaway Jury – Powerful. Provocative. Perfection.

BILL DIEHL
(ABC Radio Network)
(2003 - 3 Quotes)

X2: X-Men United – Dazzling. Mind-blowing. Thrilling.
Finding Nemo – Dazzles and delights. An exciting and enchanting underwater adventure that takes moviegoers to new depths.
In America - Jim Sheridan has given us a wonderful tale of a family's strength, courage and resilience. Samantha Morton's Oscar-worthy performance is a gem.

BUCK WOLF
(ABCNews.com)
(2003 - 1 Quote)

Down with Love – Smooth and cool! (just like his name)

GARY COGLIT
(ABC-TV, Dallas)
(2003 - 1 Quote)

Down with Love – Sexy!

GEORGE PENNACCHIO
(KABC-TV, Los Angeles)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

Daddy Day Care – Eddie Murphy and his comedy cohorts deliver fun for the whole family.
Secondhand Lions – You’ll leave the theater feeling good about what you just saw.

HELEN RAPTIS
(ABC-TV)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

It Runs in the Family – Touches your heart and makes you laugh!
Out of Time – Sultry, sexy and full of surprises!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:34 am; edited 5 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTHER TV

PAT COLLINS
(WWOR-TV)
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

Head of State – Chris Rock has never been funnier. It brings down the house. Uproariously funny.
The Guys – An extraordinary movie about extraordinary heroes! The best new movie of the year!
Bad Boys II – Will Smith and Martin Lawrence have never been funnier.
Mystic River – The year’s best film. Worthy of several Oscars.

PAUL CLINTON
(CNN)
Bio
(2002 Whore Ranking – One to Watch in 2003)
(2003 - 10 Quotes)

Confidence – Will keep you guessing and laughing from beginning to end!
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – Utterly spectacular. The best action film of the year. T3 is best in the series.
Under the Tuscan Sun – Watching Unde the Tuscan Sun is the next best thing to being there! Diane Lane has once again given an Academy-Award-worthy performance.
Duplex – Deliciously funny!
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – A must-see!
Beyond Borders – Beyond Borders is an epic love story. A powerful, deeply moving film that takes you on a stirring journey straight to your heart. Angelina Jolie is brilliant. She gives another Oscar-worthy performance.
Looney Tunes: Back In Action – This is a holiday treat for kids of all ages.
Bad Santa – One of the best adult comedies ever. A must-see for anyone who loves to laugh. Billy Bob Thornton is a national treasure! Side-splittingly funny!
Calendar Girls - The most heartfelt and heartwarming film of the year... It celebrates the human spirit!
House of Sand and Fog - Stunningly powerful. Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connelly both give Oscar-caliber performances in one of the best movies of the year.

ANDERSON JONES
(E! Online)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

As a critic, the last thing you want to do is give away the twist or the ending of the movie," said E! Online movie columnist Anderson Jones. "It dilutes the movie-going experience, which can occasionally be filled with surprises."

"Tons of fan sites think it's clever and fun to blow the endings of movies," Jones said. "It's a dumb, dumb thing to do." Filmmakers are fighting back, but only by doing the same thing as the gossipmongers. "Now what you're seeing is producers and directors going on the counterattack and giving away their own spoilers," said Jones. For his part, Jones doesn't write about crucial plot points — unless he deems it newsworthy or thinks it will entice people to see the film. "I would be willing to reveal a spoiler that makes the movie worth seeing, but not one that ruins the whole movie," he said, adding that he includes a warning in his column if he's going to reveal a plot-turn.

Identity – One of the best whodunits ever.
Hulk – A spectacular achievement in filmmaking.

SCOTT PATRICK
( Hollywood One-on-One/Starz)
Patrick’s Russell Crowe Interview (Read the first question - The typical junket question)
Bad Boys II – Best action, best comedy, best summer movie.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:11 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE FAMILY FRIENDLY CRITICS
According to them, EVERY family film is good. Wrong! Here’s a good idea people – if you want to find some true recommendations for family-friendly viewing – visit Nell Minow (The Movie Mom) or www.ScreenIt.com. Don’t listen to these tools.

ELAINE BLYTHE
(Film Advisory Board)
(2003 - 3 Quotes)

The Jungle Book 2 – Delightful and entertaining!
Rugrats Go Wild – Bruce Willis as Spike the ‘die-hard’ dog is a perfect fit! An exciting, colorful, doggone good, non-stop family adventure!
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas – Fasten you seat belts for heart-stopping, jaw-dropping fun. Phenomenal…
Johnny English – (Stamp of Excellence)

TED BAEHR
(Movieguide)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

The Calling – A wonderful surprise!
Finding Nemo – Captures your heart – hook, line and sinker.

MICHAEL MEDVED
(KRLA and SRN Radio Network)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)
Secondhand Lions - A delightful film that offers first-class family entertainment! Exciting,
funny and richly satisfying!
Radio - ****

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STUDIO EMPLOYEES?

PARAMOUNT
Be sure to keep an eye on these names for the upcoming Paramount films (The Fighting Temptations & The School of Rock). Think we’re kidding? They haven’t been quoted ANYWHERE else but with Paramount! (Also See: Earl Dittman and Mark S. Allen who practically make a living on getting into Paramount’s ads.

VICTORIA SNEE
(KDAF-TV (WB) Dallas)
(2003 - 3 Quotes)

The Core – A fantastic journey that audiences will love.
The Italian Job – A fantastic thrill ride you shouldn’t miss.
Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star - David Spade is a riot in this funny, light-hearted comedy!

MARGARET A. McGURK
(The Cincinnati Enquirer)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

The Lion King (IMAX) – Now even more of a thrill to see and hear.
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days – Truly funny.
Rugrats Go Wild – Bruce Willis delivers fresh laughs speaking for the Rugrat dog Spike.

GUY FARRIS
(Northwest Cable News)
(2003 - 1 Quote)

The Core – A fantastic cast on a fantastic voyage!

AMY LONGSDORF
(Allentown Morning Call/Camden Courier Post)
(2003 - 1 Quote)

The Italian Job – Fasten your seat belts for the summer’s wildest ride! The Italian Job is a smart and sexy heist film. It’s jam-packed with non-stop twists and turns. It grabs you from the first scene and doesn’t let go.

BUENA VISTA
Look out for these three on any Buena Vista titles.

NEIL ROSEN
(NY-1)
(2003 - 11 Quotes)
(5 of his 6 quotes in 2002 for films associated with Buena Vista. 6 so far this year.)

Hollywood Elsewhere 2/4/03 (Movie Poop Shoot)
"I nominate Neil Rosen, a walrus-moustached cretin on a New York cable channel whose taste gives new dimensions to the word 'pedestrian' and whose critiques are among the most unimaginative ever written or delivered. His customary construction almost always relies on the words 'overall,' 'found' and 'quite,' as in 'Overall, I found the film quite entertaining.' The fellow's also a sniveling coward. He hated LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS, but wouldn't say it on his own channel, a Time-Warner subsidiary, and instead unloaded his scorn as a guest on Bill McCuddy's show on the Fox New Channel."New York magazine film critic

Kangaroo Jack – Kids will have a hopping good time!
Holes – Lots of fun!
X2: X-Men United – X-hilarating!
Finding Nemo – Fun, funny, fabulous! Both kids and adults will love it!
Buffalo Soldiers – A modern-day M*A*S*H!
The Magdalene Sisters - ****! Brilliant!
Freaky Friday – Freaky Friday is a winner! A guaranteed good time for the entire family. Curtis rocks! Lohan rules!
Runaway Jury – John Cusack shines!
Elf - ****! The best holiday film in years.
The Cooler - One of the best films of the year! A trio of Oscar-worthy performances!
Calendar Girls - Julia Roberts, Kirsten Dunst, Julie Stiles and Maggie Gyllenhaal all give Oscar worthy performances.

COLUMBIA
(They lost the fictional "David Manning". Have they found a replacement?)

PRAIRIE MILLER
(NY-1)
(2003 - 4 Quotes, 2 for Columbia)

Identity – Utterly mind-blowing!
Hollywood Homicide – Ford and Hartnett are terrific together with plenty of attitude and style
Grind - Grind is a breathless and euphoric ride. High flying poetry in motion.
Bad Santa - This is easily the best comedy of the century so far! I haven't laughed somuch at a movie in quite a long time.

JOHN URBANCICH
(Sun Newspapers, Cleveland)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

WARNER BROS.

THOMAS CHAU
(Cinema Confidential)

Grind - The coolest, hippest movie of the summer.
Love Don’t Cost a Thing – Milian and Cannon are awesome together.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:15 pm; edited 10 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARE THEY OR AREN’T THEY?
The word is still out. Let’s see what they have to say.

JOHN ANDERSON
(Newsday)
(2003 – 17 Quotes)

Stone Reader – Eccentric, abrasive, absorbing – Much like a good book!
The Core - …The best cast assembled this year, or last.
Onmyoji – An audacious entrée into costume drama, horror-fantasy and martial-arts adventure
Spellbound - ***1/2
Capturing the Friedmans – The summer’s best psychological thriller!
Dirty Pretty Things – Stephen Frears’ best film in years.
The Magdalene Sisters - ****! Unforgettable!
Once Upon a Time in the Midlands – The acting is superb!
American Splendor - ****!
Lost in Translation - ****! Breathtakingly New! Remarkably Honest! Consistently Hilarious and very real.
Mystic River - It is a masterpiece. Eastwood navigates his actors toward the best performances of their careers.
Duplex – Ben Stiller does what he does best!
School of Rock - ****! Easily the funniest film of the year!
Out of Time – Stylish. Washington, Mendes and Lathan set off sparks.
Girl with a Pearl Earring – Breathtaking…Brought to the screen with lushness and golden light by cinematographer Eduardo Serra
Bad Santa – One of the best comedies of the year.
House of Sand and Fog – One of the most important films of 2003…a beautiful thing to look at, and maybe cry over. Connelly’s performance is a tour de force…
(Credited to Newsday)
Honey – It’s easy to be sweet on Honey.

DENNIS DERMODY
(Paper)
(2003 - 5 Quotes)

The Safety of Objects – Remarkable!
The Shape of Things – Think My Fair Lady as written by the Marquis de Sade, from the formidable Neil LaBute.
Ichi the Killer - … An outrageous gore-apalooza… This is Miike at his most gleefully shocking… and should not be missed at any cost.
So Close – Chinese cinema at its most sublime! Delicious fun!
Cabin Fever – Outrageous, gory, outlandishly funny and scary as hell!

MARSHALL FINE
(The Gannett Journal News)
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

Daredevil – Daredevil hits on all cylinders. A dazzling action-adventure. The thrills can truly thrill.
Winged Migration – I found myself blown away! One of the most amazing films I’ve seen.
Whale Rider – Moving and captivating!
Love Actually – The funniest film this year! An irresistible Christmas gift! Intelligent, heartfelt and truly funny, Love Actually is pure pleasure and immerses you in waves of warmth and laughter.

CLINT O'CONNOR
(The Plain Dealer)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days – A first-class comedy that both man and woman will like.
Identity – John Cusack and Ray Liotta have never been better.

JEFF STRICKLER
(Minneapolis Star-Tribune)
(2003 - 2 Quotes)

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days – Hudson and McConaughey add up to a winning combination.
The Lizzie McGuire Movie – Lizzie McGuire is the new gidget!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:49 pm; edited 7 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELEBRITY PIMPING?

Robert Altman
Lost in La Mancha – Heartbreaking and emotionally satisfying.

Darren Aronofsky, director of Requiem of a Dream
Irreversible – Prepare to be moved! Gaspar Noe is by far the most daring voice working in film today. Irreversible will leave you spinning for days.

Wes Craven
May – Startling compelling and truly original!

Tobe Hooper, director of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
House of 1000 Corpses – An outrageous, go-for-the-throat thrill that grabs you from the first frame and won't let go. One hell of a great horror movie!

Richard Pryor
Dysfunktional Family – Eddie Griffin is the funniest man alive!

Laura Hillenbrand (Author of Seabiscuit)
Seabiscuit – Thrilling. It is everything I hoped it would be and more.

Frances Mayes (author of Under The Tuscan Sun)
Under the Tuscan Sun - Audrey Wells' brilliant script and direction, and the stellar, stellar
performance by Diane Lane hasmade the film of my book a great joy for me."

Peter Jackson, director of The Lord of the Rings
Cabin Fever - Brilliant! Fantastic! Horror fans have been waiting years for a movie like
Cabin Fever. I loved it!

Michael Almereyda, Film Comment, director of Hamlet with Ethan Hawke
In This World – Brave and beautiful

Star Jones, The View
The Fighting Temptations – The Fighting Temptations is so much fun. Go see it!

John Waters
Porn Theatre – One of the year’s ten best.

Stephen King
Mystic River – Mystic River is one of the best three or four pictures I’ve seen in the last thirty years.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:50 pm; edited 5 times in total
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Criticwatch All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: