Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criticwatch 2003
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Criticwatch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROGER EBERT
(Chicago Sun-Times, Ebert & Roeper)
(2003 - 67 Quotes)

All the Real Girls – A lovely film! David Gordon Green has a gift for moments of acute observation, for dialogue both naturalistic and uninflected for mood over plot, for poetry over prose.
Gerry – Your fellow moviegoers will be talking of nothing else. Affleck and Damon achieve something in their performances that is existential grandeur.
Daredevil – Daredevil is the thinking man’s superhero.
Stone Reader – A great movie about reading and books. I love it!
Poolhall Junkies – Thumbs Up
The Hunted – Thumbs Up! A pure and rather inspired example of the one-on-one chase movie.
Bend It Like Beckham – Thumbs Up! Pure exuberant fun! Makes you feel good and laugh-out-loud. If you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, You’r egoing to Love Bend It Like Beckham
View From the Top – ***! Really enjoyable! A lot of fun! It’s charming! What more do you want from a movie?
Assassination Tango – Intriguing. A fascinating effort!
Raising Victor Vargas – Terrific! I loved this movie! One of the best movies this year.
Holes – I love everything about Holes. It’s filled with surprises, invention, imagination and originality.
Charlotte Sometimes – Uncannily realistic, fascinating and illuminating.
Xx/xy – A real discovery.
Stevie – Impossible to forget.
Confidence – Dustin Hoffman is brilliant! He deserves an Oscar!
Better Luck Tomorrow – A brilliant film!
Owning Mahowny - ****! Hoffman’s performance is a masterpiece.
Winged Migration – Awesome
Man on the Train - **** The Best Film of the Year!
Capturing the Friedmans – Remarkable. An amazing film.
The Italian Job – …Fresh and funny…
2 Fast 2 Furious – Thumbs Up! I’m grinning…it’s made with skill and style and, boy, is it fast and furious
May - ****! Amazing!
Respiro – A triumph! It is a film with its feet in the sand and its fancies flying free.
Whale Rider – Wonderful and inspirational! Amazingly, amazingly emotional!
Gloomy Sunday – A movie wartime love story!
28 Days Later – A tough, smart, ingenious movie.
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – Wall-to-wall action
Swimming Pool – A sensuous and deceptive new thriller! After it is over you will want to go back!
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life – Thumbs Up! Better than the first. It’s fun! I’m there for this movie all the way
Northfork - ****! A masterpiece! A visionary epic! Here’s even more evidence that the Polish Brothers are the real thing.
Seabiscuit – In a summer of superheroes, my favorite hero is a horse. Jeff Bridges and Tobey Maguire fit perfectly into their roles. Chris Cooper is wonderful as Tom Smith.
The Housekeeper – Wise and subtle – poignant!
I Capture the Castle - ***1/2 Castle Triumphs!
Uptown Girls – The theory is that Brittany Murphy is trying to channel Marilyn Monroe, but as I watched Uptown Girls another name came to mind: Lucille Ball. Murphy has a kind of divine ineptitude that moves beyond Marilyn’s helplessness into Lucy’s dizzy lovability.
The Medallion – Thumbs Up
Thirteen – Fabulous
Madame Sata – Electrifying!
Lost in Translation - ****! I loved this movie! Certainly one of the year's best movies!
Matchstick Men – Ingenious. A wonderful, wonderful movie.
Party Monster – Thumbs Up!
The Fighting Temptations – Thumbs Up!...A great, funny movie and audiences are going to love it. If you skip this movie, you’re going to be missing a really great comedy with a lot of human nature in it.
In This World – Astonishing!
The Station Agent – The Station Agent is a treasure. Original & intelligent.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – Quentin Tarantino is at the top of his form. Brilliant and stylized! Pure action filmmaking!
Mambo Italiano – Lots of warmth and laughter! Tarantino is so effortlessly in command of his technique that he reminds me of a virtuoso violinist racing through Flight of the Bumblebee. It’s brilliant.
Dopamine - ***1/2
The Singing Detective – Robert Downey Jr.’s performance is remarkable!
Elephant – Fearless!
The Human Stain - It's likely to win lots of Oscar nominations!
Bubba Ho-Tep – Wicked, observant and truthful!
Radio - Radio is a treasure...
The Matrix Revolutions – Sensational action!
Elf - A charmer with a heart and a sense of humor.
Love Actually - Writer/Director Richard Curtis knows what he's doing, and he does it wonderfully, in a movie that has a little of everything. Actually, it has a lot of everything. There's slapstick, pathos, passion, warmth, sentiment, brutal honesty and political satire.
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World - 'M&C' is just plain gorgeous! It creates convincing and intriguing characters. It is more about adventure and strategy and personality than simply about action, and it's endlessly absorbing. Patrick O'Brian's fans, and I am one of them, must have thought his stories could never be captured on film. But "Master and Commander" proves they can be, intelligently and thrillingly. Russell Crowe gives a magnificent performance. It's just a wonderful movie.
Anything But Love – Anything But Love has charm and a light-hearted grace, made in the same great classic spirit as the glorious Technicolor musicals.
Shattered Glass – A very smart movie.
Tupac Resurrection – This is an A-level, first-class documentary about American life. Let’s assume you are a person who never intends to see a documentary on rap music, but might have it in you to see one. THIS IS THE ONE.
The Barbarian Invasions – It’s a masterpiece! Warm and bracing... filled with grace, truth and humanity.
21 Grams – Movie acting doesn’t get any better than this.
In America - ****
Bad Santa - ***1/2! Unreasonably funny! I liked it because it makes no compromises & takes no prisoners.
The Last Samurai – This isn’t a one-note action movie. It’s exciting, but also sensitive and perceptive and Cruise wonderfully evokes this soldier’s transformation.
The Cooler – Alec Baldwin is electrifying! This is one of his best performances
The Fog of War - Splendid! A masterpiece! An extraordinary performance! Errol Morris is one of the most distinctive filmmakers in America!
Monster – One of the best performances in the history of cinema

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:32 pm; edited 11 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICHARD ROEPER
(Chicago Sun-Times, Ebert & Roeper)
(2003 – 39 Quotes)

The Life of David Gale – Thumbs Up!
Old School – A raucous comedy that’s consistently hilarious.
Laurel Canyon – A very sexy movie!
Manic – Unrelenting and insightful…Don Cheadle…brings great passion and authenticity.
The Matrix Reloaded – Much more than a first-rate action epic. We’re in that rare territory where the sequel is a triumph over the original.
Bruce Almighty – Carrey made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes.
The Italian Job – It’s the total package. Just a hell of a ride and we have a great time with it. It’s a real marvel of filmmaking. I really, really enjoyed this film.
Jet Lag – A light and breezy romantic comedy! Thumbs up! Smart and sweet.
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – One of the best movies of the summer.
Swimming Pool – Wickedly delicious. I loved every inch of this movie.
How To Deal – Mandy Moore is on the verge of becoming a full-fledged movie star. Allison Janney is terrific.
The Secret Lives of Dentists – Big Thumbs Up! Yeah, brilliantly done.
Seabiscuit - …writer/director Gary Ross has done a magnificent job of bringing the mythic tale of Seabiscuit to life. It’s also a great action movie.
Dirty Pretty Things – Sergi Lopez is brilliantly evil! There’s a lot going on in every inch of this movie.
S.W.A.T. - A solid action movie with a lot of heart and soul
Passionada – Could have been called “My Big Fat Portuguese Romance”. It’s a gem.
The Magdalene Sisters – One of the year’s best films! Magdalene is wonderful
Matchstick Men – A masterpiece. Cage delivers certainly the best lead male performance I have seen so far this year.
Lost in Translation - Bill Murray is nothing short of great. Scarlett Johansson is wonderful. There's some hilarious physical comedy
Underworld – Thumbs Up!
The Rundown – I don’t care what the calendar says; This is the best summer escapist film of the year! This wildly inventive bang-up adventure marks the arrival of The Rock as a bona fide movie star. Not just an awesome physical specimen and creatively destructive fighting force, but a charismatic and very funny leading man. The Rundown is a great action ride that’s funnier than most pure comedies.
Mystic River – Definitely one of the best films of the year.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – It’s amazing!
School of Rock – School of Rock is a great big ball of entertainment.
Wonderland – Breathtaking and astonishing! One of the most unforgettable films of 2003!
In the Cut – Meg Ryan’s performance is absolutely flawless.
My Life Without Me – A powerful piece of work!
The Matrix Revolutions – Visual poetry!
Love Actually - I loved every bit of 'Love Actually.' It's done with such intelligence and grace. It's just a terrific film. Richard Curtis is the best writer of romantic comedies working today.
Tupac Resurrection – It’s amazing stuff.
21 Grams – One of the most powerful movies of the year.
In America – It’s one of the best movies of the year…a work of art that I’ll remember forever.
The Cooler – Alec Baldwin deserves a supporting actor nomination, he’s that good in this film.
Gothika – A stylish thriller.
The Last Samurai – An intelligent action film. In scenery, spirit and story, this is one of the most beautiful films of the year!
Honey – Jessica Alba lights up the screen.
Something’s Gotta Give - ...just the two fo them walking along the beach having a conversation is thrilling cinema in its own way.
The Barbarian Invasions – A masterpiece! It will make you walk out of the theater and embrace life!
Stuck On You – Stuck On You is hilarious, but it’s also sweet.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:32 pm; edited 10 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MICHAEL WILMINGTON
(Chicago Tribune)
(2003 - 27 Quotes)

The Hunted – Brainy, exciting. A showcase for formidable talent.
Spider - ***1/2 Finely crafted and intelligent!
The Dancer Upstairs – A strong debut, showing care and intelligence in all categories and boasting an impressive lead performance by Javier Bardem.
Winged Migration - ****! A movie of awesome beauty and innovation. Stunning!
The Sea – Hilarious and rowdy! Lurid and sexy!
Man on the Train – Sophisticated! Simply pure and powerful!
Chi-Hwa-Seon: Painted Fire - ****
The Italian Job – Starts off with a spectacular rush…one of the more exciting and gorgeously shot action scenes of any recent movie…An amazing sequence. It’s an entertaining picture, classy and well executed…
The Man Without a Past - ****!
Swimming Pool – Mesmerizing! Rampling and Sagnier make Swimming Pool a fine sinlit noir, oozing sensuality and menace.
Bad Boys 2 – Every camera angle is flashy. Every cut explosive, every joke a screamer.
Seabiscuit - **** Sleek, beautiful and packed with emotion, it is a tour-de-force of populist storytelling.
Passionada – Seductive! Milos and Issacs are hugely appealing. Rossum is dazzling.
Madame Sata – Dazzling and sumptuous!
Thirteen - …it’s an emotional powerhouse. The film moves you, angers you and tears apart your preconceptions.
Demonlover – An erotic shocker. Unlike almost every other sexy modern thriller, this one gives you a lot to think about.
The Rundown – It’s a big, rowdy, high-spirited contemporary action movie with laughs.
Mambo Italiano – Funny and infectiously high-spirited!
The Flower of Evil – ****. This is one of the great Chabrols.
Intolerable Cruelty – Screwball comedy is a matter of character, style, pace and great lines; Intolerable Cruelty has it all.
Mystic River – One of the best American movies of the year. In this great movie thriller, Penn, Robbins and Bacon tear at your heart.
The Human Stain - ***1/2! Superbly crafted! The sort of intelligent, well-acted movie that we don’t get often enough.
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World – The best movie of its kind ever made. This film stands supreme. Crowe makes Aubrey his man, seizing the role with as much force and inevitability as any actor since Connery won Bond. This movie pleases on so many levels and Leaves Us Wanting More. A cause for true celebration is its cargo of Sheer, Lusty Entertainment.
Gothika – The movie is whip-fast and drenched in atmosphere.
21 Grams – A cinematic shock wave! Blessed with one of the strongest casts of any American movie this year, this bravura film, with its radical structurte, is full of risk and reward.
The Last Samurai - Thrilling action that we're swept into. It's an adventure that triumphs.
The Company – A fine, absorbing, sweetly kinetic celebration of dance and dancers.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:33 pm; edited 7 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELVIS MITCHELL

(2003 - 25 Quotes)

Lost in La Mancha – Spectacular…burns across the screen like a fever dream.
Stone Reader – A loving and lovely filmed ode to obsession. It will provoke discussions of the alarming numbers of authors who lighted a single fire in their lifetimes.
Shanghai Knights – Rousing! One of Jackie Chan’s best!
The Good Thief – A triumph! The ultimate caper, a work of brazen ebullience.
Raising Victor Vargas – Energetically funny! An altogether satisfying romantic comedy. A true find.
Better Luck Tomorrow – A shrewdly tense piece of storytelling!
The Dancer Upstairs – Mr. Malkovich creates a gripping story that demand the audience’s attention.
Man on the Train – Sensational! Mr. Hallyday is an icon!
Whale Rider – The inspiring resonance of found art.
The Hard Word – An antidote to the pile of overly slick robbery pictures of the past few years, with a bravura performance by Guy Pierce
Pirates of the Caribbean – Dazzling…A colorful and entertaining comic adventure!
The Secret Lives of Dentists – Instantly appealing new domestic comedy
Step Into Liquid – Insanely gorgeous in hypnotic gradations of aquamarine…will send you into a dream state.
American Splendor – Hilarious! Harvey is extraordinary…so is the movie.
Lost in Translation – Hilarious! A delirious new film from Sofia Coppola!
Cabin Fever – A lovably gruesome and affectionate throwback of a scare comedy!
Once Upon a Time in the Midlands – A soulful domestic comedy!
The Station Agent – Hilarious and thoughtful! This is the kind of movie you want to share with others!
Intolerable Cruelty – It’s something not seen in a long time – an intelligent, modern screwball comedy.
Elephant – Unforgettable!
Thirteen – Evan Rachel Wood’s performance bounces with mood swings from anxiety to exhilaration in a movie with moments so realistically painted that your eyes will sting from the fumes.
Pieces of April – Intelligent and touching…Hedges dances from one vignette to another with a mouthwatering finesse. Each actor shines!
21 Grams – It’s the crowning work of this year! You won’t come out unaffected, because the depths of intimacy that Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu plumbs here are so rarely touched by filmmakers that 21 Grams is tantamount to the discovery of a new country. It’s an extraordinarily satisfying vision.
Bad Santa – Achingly funny! The whole hilarious package is what makes Bad Santa such a treat!
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – King is the product of impressive craft and energy.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:35 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KENNETH TURAN
(Los Angeles Times)
(2003 - 33 Quotes)

All the Real Girls – Remarkably deep and powerful! A deeply moving love story.
Bend It Like Beckham – A feel-good movie that actually makes you feel good! A smart, lively comedy.
Spellbound – Irresistible! America at its best!
Winged Migration – A marvel! Exhilarating!
X2: X-Men United – X2 is 2 Good! Brisk and involving with a streamlined forward propulsion, it’s the kind of superhero movie we want. One of the unexpected aspects of X2 is the way its concerns seem to be uncannily relevant today.
Only the Strong Survive – A vibrant, American Buena Vista Social Club.
Sweet Sixteen – Strong and affecting!
Whale Rider – A work of Great warmth with an overwhelming finale, Whale Rider is also a substantial film of unexpected emotional force.
The Hard Word – Superb! A tasty thriller!
I Capture the Castle – A rich, emotional story! A wonderfully appealing film made with humor and intelligence, there is something almost magical about how it takes the stuff of innumerable films – love, romance and adolescent coming of age-and turns them into something that feels one of a kind.
The Heart of Me – Surprisingly strong and affecting.
Step Into Liquid – An enticing invitation to get your feet wet in the world of surfing.
Camp – Inescapable charm!
So Close – Slick and delirious!
American Splendor - Warm, playful and visually inventive
Lost In Translation – Unmistakably funny!
In This World – Wins us over because it’s too well told not to.
Casa de los Babys – Heartfelt…deeply emotional!
Mystic River – Remarkable! A powerful film! Mystic River is Eastwood’s best film.
The Station Agent – Beautifully made. Wonderful! A charming story! Sophisticated entertainment…deft and funny!
Pieces of April – Winning! An especially warm comedy with a hidden heart. The emotion in this film sneaks up not only on us, but on its characters as well.
Intolerable Cruelty – So clever, so funny, so entertaining…multiple pleasures. The sharp humor will not be a surprise to partisans of its creative leaders, writer-director Joel Coen and writer-producer Ethan Coen.
Shattered Glass – Exceptional! A film for anyone who cares about strong, emotionally involving drama.
Elf – Sophisticated glee and a sense of innocent fun, Will Ferrell’s Buddy is a cheerful combination of Stan Laurel and Tom Hanks in Big.
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World – Epic! Russell Crowe was born to play commanders. To see Crowe as Capt. Jack Aubrey is to see a consummate performer doing what he does best.
Tupac Resurrection – Absorbing and comprehensive…
The Triplets of Belleville – Like nothing you’ve ever seen! Delights in the dazzling eccentricity of its uninhibited imagination!
The Missing – What stays with you most about The Missing finally, is the quality of Cate Blanchett’s performance…her resolve will put your heart in your throat.
The Fog of War - Smart, unexpected, and compelling and completely fascinating!
Girl with the Pearl Earring – A film of great beauty! Girl with a Pearl Earring is so beautifully rendered it truly seems painted with light.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – The cinematic epic of our time, the one by which all others will be judged. The one film to end it all.
Cold Mountain – One of the best pictures of the year!
House of Sand and Fog – Let House of Sand and Fog tell you a story.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:36 pm; edited 10 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REX REED
(The New York Observer)
(2003 – 20 Quotes)

Irreversible – One of the most electrifying, daunting & original motion pictures in years!
The Scoundrel’s Wife – Full of intrigue and suspense…Tatum O’Neal is back in fine form.
Blue Car – A remarkable film about the dangerous psychological impact of the hunger for love. The subtle, complex and charismatic veteran David Strathairn is brilliant!
Jet Lag – Witty, clever and high-flying! Juliette Binoche is delicious!
Whale Rider – Touching, generous with its insights…exceptionally human glimpse into the heart of a land as gentle as it is remote.
Le Divorce – Romantic! A hip, contemporary romantic comedy…delightful!
Dirty Pretty Things – Take your craving for something original to this sensational and provocative film!
Open Range – A juicy, character-driven western with a real plot.
Thirteen – Evan Rachel Wood is a formidable actor of inestimable maturity with the patrician beauty of Grace Kelly and the emotional depth of Garbo.
Under the Tuscan Sun – The epitome of what a feel-good movie is supposed to be but rarely is: beautiful to look at, life-affirming to think about, and if that’s not enough, it also has Diane Lane! I loved it unconditionally.
The Station Agent – A rare and delightful gem!
The Human Stain - Brilliant, unforgettable and erotically charged! It's a work of art! Nicole Kidman is marvelous.
Shattered Glass – Riveting! Shattered Glass is so skillfully made that it seizes the imagination and keeps you spellbound.
The Missing – The Missing is intimate, character-driven and very contemporary in its time-resistant themes of healing, redemption and forgiveness. Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett are superb.
Girl with a Pearl Earring – A rare treasure!
Calendar Girls – You’ll be laughing and applauding with equal abandon.
In America – Multiple Academy Award nominee Jim Sheridan turns sensitive material into an uplifting story of ingenuity and strength of will.
The Company – A total joy! A thrill to experience! A colorful, affectionate tribute to the ballet world.
Cold Mountain – One of the best pictures of the year! A masterpiece! Spectacular! Cold Mountain is a work of art as beautiful and compelling as it is literate – a work of greatness that is, in itself, a prayer for the human race.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLENN KENNY
(Premiere)
(2003 - 16 Quotes)

Dark Blue – L.A. Confidential meets Training Day
A Mighty Wind – A laugh riot!
The Legend of Suriyothai - An Incredibly Sumptuous Spectacle!
28 Days Later – A stunningly, scary, smart masterpiece. Prepare to get seriously stressed.
Swimming Pool – Worth seeing twice!
Northfork – Beautiful! An assured slice of magical realism.
The Secret Lives of Dentists – It’s a rare example of what we used to refer as a movie for adults.
Matchstick Men - A very vivid comic thriller. It's a 21st-Century version of 'The Sting'
Lost in Translation - ****! One of the year's most moving films!
Cabin Fever – Pull down those stadium-seating armrests on hold on tight! Cabin Fever is a roller-coaster ride that will pull the rug out from under you.
Demonlover - ****
Mystic River – Robbins is incredible.
Veronica Guerin – Cate Blanchett gives one of her best performances.
Shattered Glass - The most entertaining inside-journalism movie since 'All The President's Men'.
In America - ****. 'In America' has a warmth that's utterly enchanting... a tenderness
that's genuinely touching.
Big Fish - ****. 'Big Fish' really is a big delight.
(Credited to Premiere)
What a Girl Wants – A girl-power fairy tale with the charm of The Princess Diaries

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICHARD SCHICKEL
(Time)
(2003 - 9 Quotes)

The Dancer Upstairs – Utterly absorbing. It is really wonderful, in the age of hyperkinetic thrillers, to encounter a movie that takes the time to record the play of thought and emotion in its characters, to let their conflicts develop in a natural and unforced way.
Man On The Train – An elegantly polished film! Patrice Leconte is at his best!
Legally Blonde 2 – A summer comedy that’s just out for a good time and delivers one.
Seabiscuit – You will be moved by Seabiscuit. It’s rare – these days damn near impossible – to see a big-bucks, big-studio production take the kind of chances director Gary Ross unselfconsciously takes here.
Thirteen – Passionate
The Singing Detective – One of the most potent works of modern pop-culture.
Love Actually – An epic romantic comedy. You will leave the theater with your heart humming happily. It reminds us…the pursuit of love is a game that is as dangerous as it is exhilarating.
The Missing - 'The Missing'... takes us on a dark... mystical trip. Cate Blanchett is
simply wonderful.
The Last Samurai – A movie that demands our surrender – to its energy, to its bold-stroke moviemaking, to its acting (particularly Cruise and Watanabe, who blend musing and graceful muscularity) and above all, to its romantic vision of a lost world.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OWEN GLEIBERMAN (Entertainment Weekly)
(Entertainment Weekly)
(2003 - 20 Quotes)

Hollywood Elsewhere 2/4/03 (Movie Poop Shoot)
"Owen Gleiberman, hands down, is the biggest nutter. He strikes me as someone who feels he needs to be contrarian to have any street cred; I don't trust that he reacts authentically to a film."New York magazine editor.

"Owen Gleiberman's taste worries me. I often use it as a reverse litmus test!"Manhattan-based writer/filmmaker

Biker Boyz – Better than The Fast and the Furious. Fishburne is great…
Irreversible – Amazing! A rapt, cinematic force!
Spun – A kaleidoscopic grungefest!
Bend It Like Beckham – Exhilarating! A terrific, savvy, fully felt comedy.
Assassination Tango – A-…wonderful! Acting doesn’t get more personal, or much greater.
Confidence – A fun and furious con-artist thriller! Edward Burns is in prime form!
Spellbound – Spellbound will have your inner geek up and cheering!
Capturing the Friedmans – An extraordinary film. A work of documentary art.
City of Ghosts – A-…A supple, intriguing and beautifully staged movie.
Thirteen – Director Catherine Hardwicke works with such flair and fury that it’s as if the camera were jutting right out of her heart.
American Splendor - Magnificent!
The School of Rock – The most unlikely great movie of the year. School of Rock is a great, funny, joyous rock & roll fable – a Hollywood movie with real magic in it. The kids are priceless. Jack Black gives the most joyful performance I’ve seen all year. It shows you what can happen when a mainstream movie is made with – say it loud! – independent spirit.
Out of Time – Entertaingly deft sleight-of-hand thriller.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – Hypnotic! Quentin Tarantino hooks us from the get-go!
Sylvia – Psychologically suspenseful! Gwyneth Paltrow is sexy and willful, boiling over withliterary and erotic hunger! This is the richest role Paltrow has had since Shakespeare in Love and she rises to the challenge. She digs deep into Plath’s mercurial nature, giving us a Sylvia who’s fiercely independent and alive.
Shattered Glass - A devious and entertaining suspense story. Hayden Christensen gives a revelatory performance... Peter Sarsgaard acts with an outrage as exquisite as it is understated.
21 Grams – Tantalizingly alive! A startingly crafted movie, with several extraordinary performances.
Tupac Resurrection – Resonant and fascinating…
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Captivating! Colin Firth is sexy and forceful as Johannes Vermeeer...Scarlett Johansson delivers an intense performance.
The Company – You have never seen a Robert Altman movie quite like The Company. Altman sweeps you up in the ironically impersonal ardor of a dancer’s life.
(Credited to Entertainment Weekly)
The Secret Lives of Dentists – Grade A! Surprise of the summer.
Mambo Italiano - The spaghetti hits the fan!
Stuck On You – A-

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:34 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LISA SCHWARZBAUM (Entertainment Weekly)
(Entertainment Weekly)
(2003 - 15 Quotes)

The Guru – Very funny! A vision of comedy karma.
All the Real Girls - ****! A revelation in its ability to capture how love really feels! Thrillingly original!
Xx/xy – The cast radiates integrity and intelligence, none more so than a superb Ruffalo.
Holes – Seriousness, silliness and bravery. Holes is easy to dig.
The Sea – Mischievous and oddball!
Winged Migration – Dazzling! Mesmerizing!
X2: X-Men United – A fun thrill ride.
Finding Nemo – You will not find a funnier, more beautiful, and more original work of art and comedy than Finding Nemo, the dazzling new computer-animated adventure that is no less innovative than The Matrix.
The Eye – Deliciously eerie and artfully scary!
The Heart of Me – Compelling.
Lost in Translation – Grade A! Enthralling! Bill Murray’s greatest work yet!
Mystic River – The movie is a fine American Hollywood beauty.
The Flower of Evil – Wonderfully mordant.
The Station Agent – Refreshing & funny!
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – A great movie. Peter Jackson’s masterwork is passionate and literate, detailed and expansive.
(Credited to Entertainment Weekly)
The Secret Lives of Dentists – Grade A! Surprise of the summer.
Mambo Italiano - The spaghetti hits the fan!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANDREW SARRIS
(The New York Observer)
(2003 - 12 Quotes)

Stone Reader – Stone Reader is more than a film – it’s a labor of love in the best sense and a gift to civilized life on this planet. Stone Reader is, quite simply, an unalloyed treasure for any viewer who has ever felt transformed by reading a good novel.
Together – Nothing short of a melodious masterpiece!
Sweet Sixteen – Brilliant! Sweet Sixteen speaks eloquently to the heart.
The Housekeeper – Very funny!...Beautifully executed by two immense talents!
The Secret Lives of Dentists – Already guaranteed a place on my year’s ten-best list.
The Flower of Evil – A masterly work. Mr. Chabrol has simplified his palette in the way of such old masters as John Ford, Howard Hawks, Charles Chaplin and even Hitchcock.
Mystic River – A masterpiece of the first order.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – Marvelous entertainment! Tarantino empowers women as no action genre director before him ever has. I recommend it to both sexes!
Sylvia – One of the most graceful and beautiful films of the year! A wonderfully illuminating experience! Sylvia provides Gwyneth Paltrow the opportunity to electrify the audience anew.
The Human Stain – One of the most important films of the year! We are all more culturally enriched by the film’s existence.
The Barbarian Invasions – One of the most intelligent entertainments of the year.
Bad Santa – The funniest Christmas send-up I have ever seen.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANOHLA DARGIS
(Los Angeles Times)
(2003 - 9 Quotes)

The Guru – Hard to resist.
28 Days Later – Nerve-shredding entertainment
The Eye – Spooky! The Pang brothers clearly know what they’re doing behind the camera and in the editing room. They remind us that nothing is more terrifying than life, not even death.
Thirteen – There’s Holly Hunter to remind you just how good she can be. Her performance is so deeply felt…She’s a fierce heartbreaker.
Demonlover – Must see! Exceedingly seductive!
Elephant – Stunning! Rarely do form and content add up with such harmonious grace and power.
Looney Tunes: Back In Action – State-of-the-art wizardry. Pure entertainment!
Bad Santa – Billy Bob Thornton is the sort of holiday gift that keeps on giving all the way to the shockingly bitter, funny end.
Stuck On You – Blushingly funny.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE MORGENSTERN
(Wall Street Journal)
(2003 - 22 Quotes)

Bend It Like Beckham – A joyous delight…alive & heartfelt…I’m still smiling.
Laurel Canyon – I was transfixed by Frances McDormand’s sensational performance!
Phone Booth – Thrilling! Delivers the goods: Verve, intensity, intelligence, ingeniuity. This is as good as a movie needs to get. (Also contributed to Dave Kehr, The New York Times)
Better Luck Tomorrow – Terrifically accomplished!
Man on the Train – A masterwork! The best film I’ve seen this year!
L’auberge espagnole – Blissfully funny…a perfect delight!
Capturing the Friedmans – Haunting and enthralling to a degree that few films achieve.
Hulk – An action extravaganza. Stands head and brains above what we’ve come to expect from summer entertainment.
Whale Rider – Enchanting!
28 Days Later – Rarely has so scary a thriller been made so well
American Splendor –Wildly unconventional, sensationally funny and a brilliant achievement. It renews your faith in the vitality of the movie medium
Lost in Translation – Pure pleasure!
School of Rock – School of Rock is a crash-course in hilarity! This joyous film is a big, big deal, and Jack Black is nothing less than majestic. This epic star turn is only part of the movie’s appeal. The kids are irresistible.
Out of Time – Thoroughly satisfying suspense drama
Intolerable Cruelty – A quick-witted comedy…A genuinely clever story.
Dopamine – An affecting performance by Sabrina Lloyd.
Pieces of April – Wonderfully funny and deeply affecting. There’s a mother-daughter moment that will take you apart and put you back together again..
Shattered Glass – A smart, suspenseful drama!...with splendid performances from Hayden Christensen and Peter Sarsgaard
Elephant – Extraordinary! Reveals a vision of contemporary American youth quite unlike any other.
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World – A revelation. A gift for those of us who’ve forgotten what it’s like to see an epic that fills the screen. This marvelous movie brings Big Thrills Back to the Big Screen.
Stuck On You – A surprisingly sweet spirit.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – The screen epic based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s literary classic redefines the very notion of a major motion picture.
(Credited to Wall Street Journal)
House of Fools – Memorable images of madness, both poetic and military…pays homage to Fellini. A great performance by Julia Vysotsky
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen – Sean Connery can still save the day!
The Rundown – The Rock gives a rock-solid performance with brains, brawn and humor.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:36 pm; edited 7 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVID ANSEN
(Newsweek)
(2003 - 29 Quotes)

Lost in La Mancha – Excruiatingly entertaining!
Stone Reader – It’s rare enough when a documentary achieves cult status. Rarer still when it actually changes lives. Stone Reader, a movie about the love of reading, manages to do both.
Better Luck Tomorrow – Stylish and very well-acted!
The Matrix Reloaded – Reloaded leaves you hungry for more.
Capturing the Friedmans – Powerful and haunting. You can’t shake it, you can’t stop turning it over and over in your mind.
Hulk – Powerful with spectacular action. Passionate and uncynical. The Hulk stamps itself into your memory.
Whale Rider – Like such crowd-pleasers as Bend It Like Beckham, it’s the story of an underdog overcoming apparently insurmountable odds. Keisha Castle-Hughes is totally beguiling!
Pirates of the Caribbean – Johnny Depp is hilarious!
Finding Nemo – Inventive, hilarious and poignant. A visual marvel, every frame packed to the gills with clever details.
The Eye – An unnerving chiller! This stylish horror film is genuinely creepy.
Seabiscuit – Nothing can stop this story from putting a lump in your throat…the races have stomach-tightening suspense and the victories stir up a sweet surge of elation. You can say about Ross’ epic what you can say about the horse it celebrates: it comes through in the stretch.
Dirty Pretty Things – A hypnotic and chilling thriller.
Camp – Hilarious!
American Splendor – Wonderful!
Lost in Translation - Bill Murray at his most inspired! He has never been better.
So Close - A delirious example of grrrl power.
Matchstick Men – Fun. Glides from comedy to suspense to poignance.
School of Rock – “A” is for Awesome! Let’s come right out and say it: School of Rock made me laugh harder than any movie I’ve seen this year. Jack Black gives a bravura, all-stops-out, inexhaustibly inventive performance. He, and the movie, kick #**!
The Rundown – A comic bone-cruncher!
Mystic River – A haunted thriller of disturbing power. Penn’s bold, anguished performance is extraordinary.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 – Astonishing!
Sylvia - Gwyneth Paltrow digs deep to give us a throughly convincing Plath, and, as Hughes, Daniel Craig smolders with the best of them.
Elf - Witty family entertainment.
The Barbarian Invasions - One of the best pictures of the year! Smart, funny and moving.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The jewel in the crown! The final chapter of 'The Lord of the Rings'
trilogy is the best of all. A triumph of epic storytelling. It has spectacular action scene and it's by far the most moving.
Cold Mountain – A thrilling and stunning epic! The one film this year that addresses the psychological impact of war. With vivid precision it shows what war can do to a person, a community, a country. Renee Zellweger gives a daring, delicious performance. Nicole Kidman deftly captures her character’s diffidence and determination. Jude Law carries the film and gives it its soul.
The Fog of War - A revelatory, relevant study of American power!
Stuck On You – Damon and Kinnear make a terrific team.
Peter Pan – Peter Pan deftly balances the comedy, the scares, the love story and the action…with some truly magical images too…painting a storybook world in rich, deeply saturated colors.

(Credited to Newsweek)
Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle – The perfect encore. More action, more jokes, more skin – and more Moore.
28 Days Later – Run to the nearest theatre. Just be forewarned that you might be running FROM it at the 5-minute mark. The movie is that scary. (Devin Gordon)
Pieces of April – Wickedly funny! (Devin Gordon)
The Human Stain - The Oscar buzz has started!
Master & Commander – Thrilling
In America – One of the best pictures of the year…wondrous…luminous.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:37 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.O. SCOTT

(2003 - 13 Quotes)

Final Destination 2 – Smooth and sharp…slyly choreographed.
Holes – The best film released by an American studio so far this year.
A Mighty Wind – Something of a miracle.
Spellbound – More suspenseful than any Hollywood thriller and more thrilling than the seventh game of the World Series
Down with Love – Thoroughly charming!
The Eye – Before the opening credits even concluded – The Eye had already reduced me to a state of trembling, goose-bumped dread. Rarely has the basic nature of visual perception seemed so frightening. But what is most impressive about The Eye is its delicacy.
Lawless Heart – Delightful and absorbing.
The Man Without a Past - Hilarious
Swimming Pool – Clever and teasing! Entertainment with a delicious final twist! Charlotte Rampling is an actress of infinite nuance!
Northfork – Dreamy and entrancing! At a moment when so many films strive to be as obvious and interchangeable as possible, it is gratifying to find one that is puzzling, subtle and handmade. Refuses to mark the boundary between dream and reality!
Johnny English – Johnny English won me over.
Freaky Friday – Jamie Lee Curtis brings energetic wit to this delightful movie!
And Now Ladies and Gentleman – Delightful! Claude Lelouch’s undisguised pleasure is contagious!
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOHN BLACK
( Boston Metro)
(2003 - 9 Quotes)

The Core – Entertaining fun!
Down with Love – Sophisticated!
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines – T3 explodes off the screen.
The Italian Job – Just about as much fun as a summer movie can be – fast-paced, funny and filled with a talented cast…
The Fighting Temptations – It’s a hit! The Fighting Temptations will lift your spirits and have you dancing in the aisles.
Underworld – Underworld is one hell of a ride.
Out of Time – Terrific. The kind of thriller Hitchcock would be proud of. A real nail-biter.
Beyond Borders – Beyond Borders is a powerful, epic film that inspires as it entertains.
Love Actually - It's not only one of the best films of the year, but one of the best romantic comedies ever made! 'Love Actually' is brilliant. A classic.
(Credited to Boston Metro)
City of Ghosts – One of the best movies this year.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIKE SZYMANSKI
(Tribune Media)
(2003 - 4 Quotes)

My Boss's Daughter - Hysterical! A fantastic romp! Ashton Kutcher is at his best!
Passionada - ****! This film has it all! Wildy passionate, seethingly sensuality with a new cast of faces who are utterly spellbinding
Jeepers Creepers 2 – It takes you right into hell.
Mambo Italiano – One of the funniest films of the year.
Fulminant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never read no Critics notes, and I dont care what anyone thinks about movies, If i like the movie then its good enough for me, I never went to see a movie cause some Critic said its good to see it, or its not cause it sux, if I like it, then I do. I give a fuck about some critics.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what the fuck are you doing on a film criticism site? Rolling Eyes
Filmgrrl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Criticwatch Reply with quote

You should also have 'Internet' as a category under "The Critics".
Filmgrrl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Criticwatch - correction Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant 'Critics List', not 'The Critics'. Sad
earl hofert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: HEY!!! Reply with quote

You mean that with all of these critic whore types, not a one of them could muster up a rave for "How to Deal"? What up with that?
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEST
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Criticwatch All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: