Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criticwatch 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Criticwatch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: TWO THUMBS UP - EBERT & ROEPER Reply with quote

TWO THUMBS UP!
(2003 – 71 Quotes / 12 “Two Big Thumbs Up or Way Up!”)
(2004 – 62 Quotes)

QUOTES
Miracle, Starsky & Hutch, Osama, The Reckoning, Taking Lives, Secret Window, Dawn of the Dead, Intermission, The Alamo, I'm Not Scared, Super Size Me, Coffee and Cigarettes, Shrek 2, Valentin, Saved, A Foreign Affair, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, Control Room, The Notebook, Before Sunset, De-Lovely, The Clearing, King Arthur, Anchorman, The Bourne Supremacy, The Manchurian Candidate, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, Open Water, Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut, Danny Deckchair, Mean Creek, Wicker Park, Cellular, Mr. 3000, The Last Shot, Ladder 49, Alfie, The Incredibles, Finding Neverland, Ocean's Twelve, Spanglish, Beyond the Sea, The Assassination of Richard Nixon

TWO BIG THUMBS UP or WAY UP!
Touching the Void, The Dreamers, The Passion of the Christ (A great epic film), Spartan (A great movie!), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Young Adam, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Fahrenheit 9/11, Spider-Man 2, I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, Hero, Vanity Fair, Silver City, Friday Night Lights, Vera Drake, Undertow, Ray, The Polar Express, Closer, The Aviator

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:29 pm; edited 26 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: ROGER EBERT Reply with quote

ROGER EBERT
(Chicago Sun-Times, Ebert & Roeper)
Ebert’s Weekly Reviews
(2003 – 68 Quotes)
(2004 – 71 Quotes)

QUOTES
The Big Bounce - A dream cast.
Catch That Kid – Thumbs Up!
The Dreamers – **** This is a great movie…exhilarating…spellbinding….Extraordinarily beautiful!
Touching the Void – Incredibly suspenseful. One of the most intense experiences I’ve ever had at the movies.
Against the Ropes – Thumbs Up!
Welcome To Mooseport – Thumbs Up! You’re gonna have a very good time.
The Passion of the Christ - **** Powerful and effective! What Gibson has provided for me, for the first time in my life, is a visceral idea of what the Passion consisted of.
Starsky & Hutch – Filled with great performances. I laughed and laughed and laughed.
Spartan - Remarkable. This is Mamet at the top of his game. David Mamet is word for word the best writer in the movies today. Fascinating
Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself - Thumbs Up! A real treasure! Very funny!
Never Die Alone – Deserves comparison with Scarface and New Jack City.
Dawn of the Dead - It's well-acted, it's well-directed, it's slick, it works. I enjoyed it!
Jersey Girl - Thumbs up! I love the chemistry between Liv and Ben. Liv Tyler is perfectly cast. ***1/2! A winner! A romantic comedy about a guy learning to love, a little girl learning to trust, and a video clerk who knows she’s better than any rental!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I loved it. The most inventive movie so far this year. Charlie Kaufman is an American treasure.
Ella Enchanted - The best family film so far this year! ***1/2! A great, magical, enchanting film for all ages. I t completely wins you over
I'm Not Scared - A hypnotic and poetic film.
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - A terrific movie with Tarantino at the top of his form and Uma Thurman like a force of nature in a film that I think is even better than Volume 1. Tarantino is one of the great original talents of modern movies. I love his dialogue. You don't have to see the first one to walk into Volume 2; it's complete as it is.
Man On Fire - Tony Scott's Man On Fire employs superb craftsmanship and a powerful Denzel Washington performance. Dakota Fanning is a pro at only ten years old, and creates a heart-winning character.
Mean Girls - Thumbs Up! Mean GIrls is not only funny but smart. It's about cliques, gossip and popularity.
Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius - Thumbs Up
Van Helsing - Glorious, an action-packed gem. Spectacular and fun! A visual feast, the cinematography and the production design join with director Stephen Sommers' imagination for spectacular sights.
The Saddest Music in the World - Thumbs Up! Astonishing, original and very funny...you have never seen anything like it!
Valentin - I love Valentin
Breakin' All The Rules - Thumbs Up
Saved! - People are going to think this movie is an attack of Christianity and what it is bascially is an attack on intolerance.
The Day After Tomorrow - Stupendous!
The Story of the Weeping Camel - A real discovery
The Stepford Wives - Thumbs Up
Garfield: The Movie - Thumbs Up
Around the World in 80 Days - Wall-to-wall cameos! Kathy Bates, Owen & Luke Wilson, John Cleese and funniest of all, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Spider-Man 2 - This may be the best superhero movie I've ever seen. **** It's a superhero movie for people who don't go to superhero movies, and for those who do, it's the one they've been yearning for.
De-Lovely - I loved this movie.
The Clearing - Willem Dafoe gives one of his best performances.
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - One of the best crime movies of the year
The Corporation - Impassioned!
The Door In The Floor - Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger in two of their best performances. They are brilliant.
A Home At The End Of The World - One of the best films of the year. I was astonished by Colin Farrell's performance.
The Manchurian Candidate - The twist at the end kept me guesing.
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle - I just love it!
Collateral - Chilling...this is a rare thriller that's as much character study as sound and fury.
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - Among the countless summer action films, Zatoichi is one of the best!
Mean Creek - I have seen a lot of movies about teenagers who are violent and amoral (River's Edge and Elephant come to mind), but never one that commits so fully to kids trying to figure out the right thing to do in an impossible situation. There was one film in Cannes I especially admired...Mean Creek!
Garden State - Zach Braff is the writer, director and star of Garden State and in all three ways he's a fresh, unconventional talent.
Bright Young Things - Thumbs Up! Very funny!
Benji: Off The Leash - A good one. And it sends a valuable message.
Hero - It's every bit as good as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's amazing.
Vanity Fair - Vanity Fair is filled with life and humor, and I loved it!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Thumbs up! Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is astonishing in the way it hurtles through its spectacular action. It is not only astonishing as a technical achievement but terrific fun. It creates the same kind of excitement and energy that I felt the first time I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Wimbledon - Thumbs up
Silver City - A very intelligent film...John Sayles is one of my real heroes.
When Will I Be Loved - ****! A masterpiece!
Ladder 49 - Exciting! A thoughtful and insightful look at the hazards of the life of a fireman.
Friday Night Lights - Billy Bob Thornton in one of his best performances.
Shall We Dance? - Full of genuine delights.
Vera Drake - This is one of the best movies of the year.
Sideways - The best GUY movie of recent years...moving, fresh and original.
Tarnation - A triumph! A film of remarkable power.
Undertow - This film is a masterpiece!
Birth - ***1/2
Ray - **** A great, exuberant performance. The movie would be worth seeing simply for the sound of the music and the sight of Jamie Foxx performing it.
The Polar Express - ****! Dazzling. It’s going to be a holiday classic that will be around for years and years and years.
Kinsey - Kinsey is likely to be the best-received film of its kind since A Beautiful Mind. Liam Neeson gives an Oscar-worthy performance.
Finding Neverland – Genius. Johnny Depp is extraordinary.
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - I smiled pretty much all the way through. Renee Zellweger is lovable to begin with, and combining her with Bridget Jones creates a critical mass of cuteness.
The Machinist - Dark, brooding and mysterious. Kafka could have written this screenplay. Christian Bale lost 63 pounds to play the haunted, sleepless hero and his skeletal form is one of the reasons the film works so well.
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - Thumbs Up
Moolaade - Magnificently beautiful! One of my favorite films at Cannes.
Closer - This film is mesmerizing.
Million Dollar Baby - This is the best film of the year. A masterpiece, pure and simple. Hilary Swank is astonishing. A movie made in the classic tradition of strong characters and unadorned, powerful storytelling. Pure and strong.
Hotel Rwanda - Powerful and important! Don Cheadle is magnificent!
The Assassination of Richard Nixon - Sean Penn gives another powerful and implosive performance
The Merchant of Venice - Another reminder of what a versatile and powerful actor Al Pacino is, and how he continues to grow.

EBERT’S 2004 RECAP
(173 positive, 91 negative) (65.5% Positive)

**** (--26--)
Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (Hands Off The Loot), Touching the Void, The Dreamers, The Passion of the Christ, Spartan, Au Hasard Balthazar, Kill Bill Vol. 2, The Twilight Samurai, BAADASSSS!, Spider-Man 2, Vanity Fair, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, When Will I Be Loved?, Tarnation, Vera Drake, Undertow, Sideways, Ray, The Polar Express, Kinsey, Closer, Moolaade, Million Dollar Baby, House of Flying Daggers, The Aviator, Hotel Rwanda

***1/2 – (--47--)
Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer, Japanese Story, The Tracker, My Architect, Osama, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Intermission, Jersey Girl, Never Die Alone, Hellboy, The Alamo, Ella Enchanted, Bon Voyage, I’m Not Scared, Young Adam, The Agronomist, The Seagull’s Laughter, The Saddest Music In The World, Saved, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Mother, The Terminal, The Notebook, Before Sunset, De-Lovely, I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, My Sister Maria, Bukowski: Born Into This, A Home at the End of the World, Maria Full of Grace, The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi, Collateral, Open Water, Intimate Strangers, Riding Giants, Hero, Bright Young Things, Cellular, Silver City, Ladder 49, Friday Night Lights, Primer, Birth, The Incredibles, Finding Neverland, A Very Long Engagement, Bad Education

*** (--100--)
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton, Tokyo Godfathers, Rana's Wedding, Catch That Kid, Miracle, 50 First Dates, Against the Ropes, Welcome To Mooseport, Lana's Rain, Hidalgo, Monsieur Ibrahim, Starsky & Hutch, The Reckoning, Secret Window, Dawn of the Dead, Taking Lives, Goodbye Lenin, Distant, Crimson Gold, Mayor of the Sunset Strip, Shaolin Soccer, Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius, Mean Girls, Secret Things, The Return, WIlbur Wants To Kill Himself, Super Size Me, Van Helsing, Breakin’ All The Rules, With All Deliberate Speed, Shrek 2, Valentin, A Slipping Down Life, Carandiru, Coffee and Cigarettes, The Day After Tomorrow, Deadline, Strayed, Control Room, Garfield: The Movie, The Big Animal, The Stepford Wives, Around the World in 80 Days, A Foreign Affair, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, The Story of the Weeping Camel, Since Otar Left, The Mudge Boy, The Clearing, King Arthur, Anchorman, The Door In The Floor, The Corporation, The Bourne Supremacy, Word Wars, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, The Manchurian Candidate, Garden State, Little Black Book, She Hate Me, Benji: Off The Leash, Donnie Darko: The Director’s Cut, Mean Creek, Oasis, The Brown Bunny, Wicker Park, The Five Obstructions, THX-1138: The Director’s Cut, Mr. 3000, Wimbledon, Shaun of the Dead, The Last Shot, Head in the Clouds, The Yes Men, This Girl’s Life, Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry, Rick, Shall We Dance, The Final Cut, Hijacking Catastrophe: Fear & Selling The American Empire, Stage Beauty, The Manson Family, Incident At Loch Ness, Alfie, Enduring Love, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Saints and Soldiers, The Machinist, Overnight, P.S. The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, Bright Leaves, Ocean’s Twelve, La Petite Lili, The Sea Inside, Almost Peaceful, Spanglish, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera, Infernal Affairs

**1/2 (--22--)
Torque, The Butterfly Effect, Barbershop 2, Latter Days, Broken Lizard's Club Dread, Agent Cody Banks 2, The Ladykillers, Home on the Range, The Prince & Me, Man On Fire, Seeing Other People, Two Brothers, Code 46, Criminal, What the #$*! Do We Know?, The Motorcycle Diaries, Around The Bend, Being Julia, Callas Forever, Sex Is Comedy, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

** (--44--)
Chasing Liberty, Along Came Polly, The Statement, The Big Bounce, The Perfect Score, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, Everybody Says I'm Fine, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, Red Trousers: The Life of the Hong Kong Stuntmen, The United States of Leland, Walking Tall, Johnson Family Vacation, Dogville, The Punisher, Games People Play: New York, 13 Going On 30, Love Object, Envy, Godsend, Laws of Attraction, Troy, Stateside, Love Me If You Dare, Raising Helen, The Chronicles of Riddick, America’s Heart and Soul, I Robot, Zhou Yu’s Train, We Don’t Live Here Anymore, Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid, Danny Deckchair, Suspect Zero, First Daughter, The Forgotten, Shark Tale, I Heart Huckabees, Saw, After The Sunset, Noel, National Treasure, Alexander, Flight of the Phoenix, Meet the Fockers, Fat Albert

*1/2 (--11--)
Twisted, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, Connie and Carla, New York Minute, Napoleon Dynamite, White Chicks, Godzilla (1954), Thunderbirds, The Princess Diaries 2, I Am David, Blade: Trinity

* (--12--)
The Whole Ten Yards, Sleepover, A Cinderella Story, Catwoman, The Village, A Dirty Shame, Taxi, Raise Your Voice, Team America: World Police, The Grudge, Anatomy of Hell, Christmas with the Kranks

1/2* (--2--)
The Girl Next Door, Resident Evil: Apocalypse

ZERO STARS
(NONE)

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:03 pm; edited 29 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: RICHARD ROEPER Reply with quote

RICHARD ROEPER
(Chicago Sun-Times, Ebert & Roeper)
Roeper’s Daily Columns
(2003 – 40 Quotes)
(2004 – 45 Quotes)

QUOTES
The Passion of the Christ - A powerful and important film, helmed by a man with a sincere heart and a warrior's sense of justice.|
Secret Window - Depp is amazing to watch. Secret Window is a see it.|
Dawn of the Dead - Bloody good fun. This is a disgusting, violent, gross, tasteless work and those are all good qualities in a hard-core splatter film. It's scary and it's funny. It's a great, good time, and they don't make any excuses for this. |
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I loved it too.
Intermission – It’s definitely worth looking for!
I'm Not Scared - Perfectly written and paced!
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - A visionary work, it's thrilling cinema! Even if you haven't seen the first one, this is a great film.
The Punisher - John Travolta is great...Tom Jane has a deadpan, Clint Eastwood charm. Violent, intense, over the top fun! See it!
13 Going On 30 - Thumbs Up! See it!
Seeing Other People - Big thumbs up...truly funny.
Super Size Me - A provocative, enlightening film...Oh yeah, big thumbs up.
Valentin - The writing is tremendous
Shrek 2 - A dazzling visual feast, a first-rate comedy...one of the most entertaining movies of the year. See it. This film is sure to gain an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature. Shrek 2 is that rare sequel that’s worthy of its predecessor.
Stateside - Thumbs Up! One of Val Kilmer's best performances
Coffee and Cigarettes – Cate Blanchett is brilliant!
BAADASSSSS! - One of the year's best
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Azkaban stands alone as a creative triumph.
A Foreign Affair - It's really funny!
The Terminal - Spielberg is just such a brilliant filmmaker...I love this movie.
Fahrenheit 9/11 - A powerful, fascinating piece of filmmaking. Everyone in the country should see this film! It has some of the biggest laughs, most interesting revelations, and most heart-tugging moments of any movie of any kind this year.
Control Room – One of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen about journalism and war.
De-Lovely - Ashley Judd gives one of her best performances.
Anchorman - I laughed out loud...a lot.
I, Robot - Thumbs up! An entertaining thrill ride!
A Cinderella Story - Hilary Duff is very charming...and there are some big laughs with Jennifer Coolidge and the supporting cast.
The Bourne Supremacy - One of the best thrillers in recent years. Smart and intriguing.
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle - One of the funniest movies of the year.
Maria Full of Grace - One of the best movies of the year.
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - Oscar level documentary filmmaking!
The Village - Marvelous intensity and creativity. One of the best movies I've seen all year!
Deadline - ...an excellent documentary chronicling the astonishingly flawed criminal justice system.
Suspect Zero - Thumbs up
Silver City - A rich, funny insightful social satire...One of the best movies I've seen in a long time!
Cellular – Ingenious
Ladder 49 - Jacinda Barrett...is going to be a star.
Vera Drake - Staunton's deeply moving performance...is great acting.
Ray - Jamie Foxx gives an astonishingly rich performance as the late Ray Charles.
Kinsey - Provocative...An instant Oscar contender.
The Machinist - It's probably the most startling transformation since Deniro gained weight in Raging Bull.
Alexander - Wild...Glorious...Entertaining.
Closer - ...some of the strongest writing and acting I've seen all year. This is a masterpiece.
Million Dollar Baby - It's a jolt unlike anything I've seen in recent years in movies.
Spanglish - Spanglish is that rare film that combines consistent laughs with honest, heartwarming drama.
Hotel Rwanda - One of the most inspirational movies I've ever seen.
The Sea Inside - One of the most astonishing performances in recent memory

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:04 pm; edited 22 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: MICHAEL WILMINGTON Reply with quote

MICHAEL WILMINGTON
(Chicago Tribune)
Weekly Reviews
(2003 – 27 Quotes)
(2004 - 31 Quotes)

QUOTES
The Big Bounce – Refreshing and icy-cool, a sinful pleasure.
The Passion of the Christ - An impressive, passionate vision!
The Reckoning - A chilling, atmospheric murder mystery! A mix of Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal and Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose |
The Ladykillers – Irreverently funny and exploding with wit.
Man On Fire - A super thriller! Washington gets our juices running. He's a perfect edgy leading man
Shaolin Soccer - Rip-roaring special-effects packed! Overflows with action.
Young Adam - An excellent film
Bon Voyage - ****! A delightful film!
Strayed - ***1/2 A passionate love story! Pictorially intense and erotically charged. – Wilmington
Troy – Stunning. Raging excitement, visual grandeur and dramatic intelligence. ****
Father & Son - A stunner! Poetic, virile, and dreamlike.
Fahrenheit 9/11 - ****! Superb! Scathing! Michael Moore's toughest, gutsiest, funniest picture yet.
The Notebook - Like his great filmmaker father, John, the younger Cassavetes has a love for actors and performances that shines through every scene he directs - and here he has a wonderfully responsive cast.
I, Robot - A thriller that really works because of its eye-popping visual feats and the ideas and humanity behind them.
The Corporation - Fascinating! It will keep you thinking and reacting, no matter where you stand on the world-wide corporate ladder.
The Manchurian Candidate - The Manchurian Candidate is a brilliant and chilling with sharp direction by Jonathan Demme and a remarkable cast headed by Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep.
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - A masterpiece!
Bright Young Things - **** Fry's film delights, moves and entertains on many levels. Visually brilliant! A remarkable all-star cast.
Suspect Zero - Ben Kingsley is mesmerizing...
Vanity Fair - Lusciously entertaining!
Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry - An exceptional film. Almost essential viewing!
Stage Beauty - ***1/2 Exhilarating.
Ray - A touching, big-audience crowd-pleaser.
The Machinist - ***1/2! A smart, tense paranoid thriller! Christian Bale does an amazing DeNiro-in-reverse weight loss feat!
The Polar Express - The Polar Express casts a spell of wonderment.
Kinsey - An intelligent, moving and surprisingly funny look at an unlikely revolutionary...Liam Neeson and Laura Linney give charismatic, emotionally deep performances.
Alexander - Life JFK and Born on the Fourth of July, Alexander hot-wires history and politics into a wild, memorable breathtaking ride.
House of Flying Daggers - Absolutely spellbinding! A truly impressive epic, full of dazzling period set design, radiant cinematography, powerful performances in the archetypal romantic roles. Fantastic and thrilling!
Ocean's Twelve - Sure-fire entertainment. This is a big swinging party with a can't-miss guest list.
Hotel Rwanda - Stunningly powerful!
Imaginary Heroes - Reminiscent of both The Ice Storm and Ordinary People...A mixture of poignant drama and quirky humor, delivered by a superb cast.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:37 pm; edited 17 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: ELVIS MITCHELL Reply with quote

ELVIS MITCHELL
(FORMERLY)
(2003 – 25 Quotes)
(2004 – 15 Quotes)

QUOTES
Teacher's Pet - Deliciously wild and incredibly enjoyable!
Touching the Void – Powerful!
Eurotrip - The film has the overripe, anything-for-a-laugh spirit...
Starsky & Hutch - Snoop Dogg is the man
Greendale - Strangely beautiful
Never Die Alone - A riveting genre film...Donald Goines would be proud.
Shaolin Soccer - Shaolin is too much fun to ignore, with timeless comedy and martial arts! It's like The Three Stooges directed by the Asian action ace Tsui Hark.
Hellboy - Mr. Del Toro lets loose with an all-American rambunctiousness that makes the movie lovable.
Young Adam - A jabbing, intense noir
The Agronomist - Heart-wrenching
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - The most voluptuous comic-book movie ever made! Kill Bill Vol. 2 is rich and substantial!
The Saddest Music In The World - Epic in imagination and achievement
BAADASSSSS! - An energetic and smart crowd pleaser!
Mean Girls - ...You can't help being impressed by Mean Girls...The tart...charming new comedy...
The Story of the Weeping Camel - Lovely!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:24 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: STEPHEN HOLDEN Reply with quote

STEPHEN HOLDEN

Movie Reviews (Rotten Tomatoes)
(2003 – 31 Quotes)
(2004 - 19 Quotes)

QUOTES
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton – Sweet Home Alabama revisited…
I'm Not Scared - A thriller filmed with such visual intensity, its brilliance is almost blinding! I'm Not Scared is filmed with a welcomed integrity and warmth.
Strayed - Critics Pick - A strong and taut wartime drama
Love Me If You Dare - Seductive! Romantic! Belongs to the same school as The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Amelie!
Soul Plane - Relentlessly raunchy.
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - Consistently funny!
The Mother - Taboo-busting...Extraordinarily clear-sighted and psychologically balanced!
The Corporation - Fascinating!
The Notebook - The Notebook insists on true, mystical eternal love, till death do us part, and won't have it any other way.
The Bourne Supremacy - Fun! The Bourne Supremacy knows what its doing...carried off with the dexterity of a magician pulling a hundred rabbits out of a hat in one graceful gesture.
Intimate Strangers - Playful erotic suspense! In the spirit of the best Hitchcock!
Garden State – Smart
Facing Windows - Seductive! A lush, surreally flavored immersion in voyeurism and romantic dreams.
The Motorcycle Diaries - A classic road movie!
Red Lights - A brilliant, sinister French thriller!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - A remarkable filmmaking debut.
Shall We Dance? - A feel-good fantasy that piles on the euphoria! Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez approach the swooning grace of Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. Stanley Tucci is funniest of all. It's an invitation to freedom.
Undertow - Suspenseful!
The Machinist - An expertly manipulated exercise in psychological horror! Christian Bale's 63-pound weight loss makes The Machinist one of the few movies to scale the barrier between chilly fantasy and authentic cinematic nightmare.

New York Times Article (10/12/04)
By Lloyd Grove

Ever wonder just how powerful The New York Times is?
Apparently powerful enough to abort a screening for two dozen movie reviewers from other outlets yesterday to accommodate the tight schedule of Times critic Stephen Holden.
Yesterday my esteemed colleague, Daily News film critic Jack Mathews, was in the crowd at the Broadway Screening Room in midtown - watching the Lions Gate release "Eulogy," which opens Friday - when the projectionist summarily halted the movie.
Critics' screenings, once begun, are almost never stopped. "It's never happened to me in 20 years of screenings," said Hollywood Reporter critic Frank Sheck, who was in the theater. "It's highly unusual."
Why this unprecedented step?
An apologetic publicist explained to the annoyed critics that because the announced 10:30 a.m. screening had started 20 minutes behind schedule, they couldn't show the final reel, because it would prevent a noon screening of Miramax's "Shall We Dance" from starting on time.
"There were about 25 to 30 people in the room, all of us equally bewildered," Mathews told me, noting that screenings seldom if ever start on time. "I said to the publicist, 'Whose fault is it?' She said something about Miramax, whose movie I assume was coming up. But when I pressed her to tell me who's sitting out there who can't wait, she said it was The New York Times' Stephen Holden."
Mathews continued: "I walked out and asked Holden, 'You can't wait 15 minutes?' He said, 'I can't, I have something at 2.' I said, 'Why can't you be inconvenienced instead of all these people?' He didn't answer, and I left."
Yesterday Holden didn't return my phone call and publicists for Lions Gate and Miramax argued that the Timesman shouldn't be fingered because a dozen others were waiting to see "Shall We Dance." But unofficially, a studio publicist told Mathews that the trouble occurred because "another journalist," namely Holden, "had another screening to see."

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:10 pm; edited 11 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: A.O. SCOTT Reply with quote

A.O. SCOTT

(2003 – 24 Quotes)
(2004 - 41 Quotes)

QUOTES
The Big Bounce – The Big Bounce is like a paid Hawaiian vacation.
The Dreamers – An ardently romantic love song to sex, cinema and the spirit of the 60s
Osama – Gorgeous, haunting…nothing short of astonishing.
50 First Dates – An impressively daring romantic comedy.
Monsieur Ibrahim - Mr. Sharif, grizzled and white-haired, has lost none of the charisma that made him an international movie star in the 1960's. He is a wry and subtle actor.
Spartan - Vigorous and engrossing...genuinely surprising
The Reckoning - Austere, haunting images that throw our modern moviegoing expectations off balance
Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself - Wilbur makes you glad to be alive!
Dogville - Raw and intimate...played with a flawless combination of vulnerability and cunning by Nicole Kidman |
The Ladykillers – Delightful!
The Girl Next Door - Sexy and engaging
The United States of Leland - Simmering...Ryan Gosling can remind you of a young Sean Penn!
The Punisher - Has a hard-punching style that makes Kill Bill look like In The Bedroom!
Clifford's Really Big Movie - Young children will snuggle up in the movie's cozy good cheer
The Agronomist - Magnificent! Superb!
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…And Spring – An exquisitely simple movie!
Laws of Attraction - Charming performances from Mr. Brosnan and Ms. Moore
Coffee and Cigarettes - Charming! Unmistakably nostaglic. The cumulative effect is a relaxed, ruminative buzz.
Control Room - An indispensable example of the inquisitive, self-questioning democratic spirit.
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Scorching! The best film Michael Moore has made so far, a powerful and passionate expression of outraged patriotism
Spider-Man 2 - It is better than the original and also superior to other comic book movies.
Seducing Dr. Lewis - Ealing Studios films to recent hits like The Full Monty
The Door In The Floor - The best movie made yet from John Irving's fiction. Jeff Bridges offers perhaps the wittiest and richest piece of screen acting by an American man so far this year.
The Corporation - A monster movie! Smart! Fascinating! Thought-provoking!
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - Fascinating!
The Manchurian Candidate - Denzel Washington plays Major Marco with the perfect blend of stoicism and agitation.
We Don't Live Here Anymore - A marital film noir. An uncanny suspense ripples through the movie.
Mean Creek - Provocative! A serious piece of work from a filmmaker of evident talent and sensitivity. Haunting, quiet beauty! Powerfully articulated!
The Motorcycle Diaries - Passionate!
Tarnation - Nobody has ever made a movie like it! Watching it, you feel a new possibility opening up. One of the most interesting movies of the year.
Dig - Heaven-sent! Like Hoop Dreams of Startup.com, a resonant and satisfying story!
Being Julia - Ms. Bening is sensational!
Primer - An ingenious movie about the perils of ingenuity. Invigorating, like Pi or Memento, Primer is the kind of movie likely to inspire both imitators and cultists. Carruth has invented something fascinating.
Sideways - Paul Giamatti's performance is just breathtaking.
Birth - Ms. Kidman gives a brilliantly nuanced performance. She gives herself so completely to the role that the film becomes both spellbinding and heartbreaking.
Kinsey - Bill Condon's smart, stirring film about the renowned sex researcher Alfred Kinsey treats sex with...sensitivity and a welcome measure of humor.
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - In the wake of the recent election, there's been some talk of healing...we are so hung up on blue states and red states that our only hope may lie in the primary color that has been left off the map. We need something - or someone - yellow...now more than ever, the country needs Spongebob Squarepants...
Notre Musique - Beautiful and elegant.
House of Flying Daggers - A gorgeous entertainment!
Million Dollar Baby - The best movie released by a major Hollywood studio this year. A work of utter mastery.
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Bill Murray's performance is a triumph.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:38 pm; edited 17 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Claudia Puig Reply with quote

CLAUDIA PUIG
(USA Today)
(2003 – 18 Quotes)
(2004 – 24 Quotes)

QUOTES
Teacher’s Pet – Sweetly touching…An enjoyable family film.
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton - A classic date movie...for a good time, make a date with tad hamilton.
Barbershop 2: Back In Business – Audiences can share a laugh or 10. The second Barbershop is just as sharply funny and as heartwarming.
Eurotrip - The kids' silly antics generate genuine laughs. And that's something to write home about.
The Passion of the Christ – A movie for the ages! Gibson has made a stunning film. There is enlightenment – even start poetry – in The Passion.
Secret Window - Secret Window is a potent psychological thriller
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - An enternally wondrous experience! Smart, ambitious and emotionally rich. Jim Carrey is a revelation
The Ladykillers - Hightail it to The Ladykillers
Home on the Range - Fun and entertaining
13 Going On 30 - You don't have to be a teen to enjoy 13 Going On 30.
Troy - A gripping, well-told adaptation of one of the oldest human dramas.
Shrek 2 - **** Just as funny, sweet and engaging as the first film. A high-spirited fun-fulled comedy adventure
Saved! - Subversively funny...unexpectedly sweet.
The Terminal - Moviegoers are bound to enjoy this cinematic fantasy.
Fahrenheit 9/11 - The year's must-see film! Compelling, funny and, most of all, entertaining.
Anchorman - Tune in to Anchorman. Ferrell's funny performance is rated No. 1 in its market.
Sleepover - Excitement and good girl power.
The Bourne Supremacy - The Bourne saga has firmly established its supremacy. Taut, tightly paced and thrilling, with some of the best chase sequences in recent memory.
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - Funny and clever with mesmerizing action sequences! A spirited departure from the usual summer fare!
Maria Full of Grace - Tense and riveting.
Garden State - Garden State is by turns knowing and innocent, humorous and humanistic. The film for this generation.
Mean Creek - Grade: A- Terrific! An unusually perceptive and fluid American Indie.
Taxi - Hilarious! Real belly laughs!
Birth - Birth will not fail to mesmerize and unsettle its audience.
Enduring Love - Thought-provoking suspense with plenty of twists! Daniel Craig, Samantha Morton and Rhys Ifans are all at the top of their game!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:10 pm; edited 15 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: LISA SCHWARZBAUM Reply with quote

LISA SCHWARZBAUM (Entertainment Weekly)
(Entertainment Weekly)
(2003 – 15 Quotes)
(2004 – 20 Quotes)

QUOTES
Torque - A quick blood-sugar high. Shiny and showy.
Touching the Void – Powerful! Articulate, intense and daring!
The Big Bounce – Jazz-jam performances by a surprising cast.
Broken Wings - A powerful film! This honest first feature packs the world into the lives of one ordinary family.
Dawn of the Dead - Dawn of the Dead is smashing. Grade: A The best re-envisioning of a horror classic in memory. Don't leave before the final frame - if you're still breathing.
Dogville – Gorgeous, elegant and alive!
Intermission – Refreshing & rollicking!
Seducing Dr. Lewis – Charming
Napoleon Dynamite - Comedy of nerd triumph.
Spider-Man 2 - Triumphant sequel. Grade: A
The Corporation - Illuminating!
Maria Full of Grace – A triumphant performance by Catalina Sandino Moreno
Mean Creek - Grade: A- Impressive! A teenage version of Heart of Darkness. An unusually perceptive and fluid American indie. Rory Culkin shows a sophisticated taste by choosing projects like Igby Goes Down and You Can Count On Me!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - A gorgeous, funny and welcome novelty.
Sideways - Delirious whooping love is a fair description of my reaction to Sideways. Belongs in the shelf of seminal American movies...one of the best movies of the year!
Primer - Adventurous
The Incredibles - Dazzlingly beautiful, funny and meaningful (yes!)...as worthy of a Best Picture nomination as any movie made...
Enduring Love - Grade A- Mesmerizing
House of Flying Daggers - Eye-popping operatic richness!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:50 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: KAREN DURBIN Reply with quote

KAREN DURBIN
(Elle)
(2003 – 17 Quotes)
(2004 - 24 Quotes)

QUOTES
Touching the Void – Not to be missed!
The Reckoning – An inventively filmed, medieval murder mystery!
Broken Wings - Fiercely smart and intensely moving! A terrific debut!
Intermission - Exhuberantly raucous!
Dogville - Brilliant! An exhilarating achievement!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - A wildly original comedy! So intricate and so inventive
Ned Kelly - Heath Ledger brings Ned Kelly to life in a fine, risky performance. An all-star lineup that includes Naomi Watts, Geoffrey Rush and Rachel Griffiths, and as a bonus, Brit hottie Orlando Bloom
Young Adam - Ewan McGregor is terrific!
BAADASSSSS! Exhilarating!
Shrek 2 – (TV Commercials)
Love Me If You Dare - Clever! A sassy French rom-com
The Notebook - Exuberant
The Door In The Floor - The Door in the Floor surprises, even shocks, thanks to a rare candor! We're riveted. The film is suspenseful because circumstance has made its characters seem capable of anything. It cuts like a knife!
Maria Full of Grace - Catalina Sandino Moreno is riveting.
Intimate Strangers - One of the most delectable romances of the year!
Open Water - Bone-chilling! This summer's heartstopping must-see!
Stander - Tom Jane is riveting.
Stage Beauty - Gorgeous and funny...a smart, sexy beast of a movie! Billy Crudup and Claire Danes generate a dizzying heat!
Around the Bend = Christopher Walken plays a shattered, guilt-haunted father straight to Oscar level.
Birth - Provocative.
Finding Neverland - One of the best pictures of the year. A love story of great delicacy. A moving celebration of the mind's power.
Kinsey - Bold and witty.
Hotel Rwanda - Breathtaking! A testament to an ordinary man's extraordinary heroism.
The Merchant of Venice - Passionate. Electrifying. With a brilliant cast, director Michael Radford knocks the literary barnacles off Shakespeare while remaining true to the Bard's time, creating a portrait of love, hate and bigotry that's shockingly fresh.

(Credited To Elle Magazine)
Saved! - Wickedly funny! A divine comedy.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:38 pm; edited 7 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: REX REED Reply with quote

REX REED
(The New York Observer)
(2003 – 20 Quotes)
(2004 – 26 Quotes)

QUOTES
Monsieur Ibrahim - A gem with striking performances! This film has an undeniably big heart!
Games People Play: New York - Fresh, moving, outrageous and smart. It's unlike anything you've seen before!
Intermission – A gritty tapestry. A fresh diversion from the ordinary.
Laws of Attraction - A slick, lushly appointed romantic comedy
Troy - An action spectacle of weight, splendor and vast entertainment value. Troy is massive, opulent, passionate and intelligent.
Valentin - Funny, gentle and utterly captivating! A wry and magical romantic story
The Day After Tomorrow - Awesome! Wonderful! One Helluva Ride!
Broadway: The Golden Age - Riveting heart-skippingly exhilarating! The most enchanting movie I have seen this year.
The Terminal - A feel-good film of such originality and sweetness...that it practically qualifies for miracle status.
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Brilliant and electrifying! If it convinces one non-voter to think, it will serve a purpose. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a blockbuster!
A Home At The End Of The World - Touching, sexy and very funny.
Open Water - Electrifying! One of the most unforgettable films of the year.
Criminal - A breathless and dazzling caper that knocks your socks off.
National Lampoon's Gold Diggers - 90 minutes of outrageous hi-jinks...a comic gem.
The Machinist - A twisted psychological creep-out!
Stage Beauty - Vibrant and thrilling!
Being Julia - Witty and sophisticated!
Undertow - Profound, beautifully photographed and a real Gothic page-turner in the William Faulkner tradition.
Ray - Ray is a rousing, pulsating tour de force. Jamie Foxx is amazing. You're not going to forget it.
Saw - Saw will make your blood run cold! You won't want to miss a minute of the mayhem
Enduring Love - Riveting and unforgettable.
Kinsey - A masterpiece. The great thing about Kinsey is the triumphant way it entertains, informs and electrifies us with the highest values of traditional cinema while opening our hearts and minds with the liberating potential of human diversity.
Callas Forever - Redefines the term "tour de force"
Spanglish - Spanglish soars triumphantly above most American comedies.
Hotel Rwanda - Powerful! Heroic! Provides Don Cheadle with the best role of his career.
The Woodsman - Bacon electrifies audiences.

Quote From Rex Reed:
“And so I Heart Huckabees may not be the worst movie ever made, depending on how you feel about such hollow, juvenile and superficial trash as Brewster McCloud, Hudson Hawk, Punch-Drunk Love, Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, Lost Highway, Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Rob Zombie’s House of 1000 Corpses and … well, as they said in Hollywood during the McCarthy witch hunts, "the list goes on."

The egomaniacal young director-producer-writer David O. Russell is a member of the new group of anarchists that includes Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Jonze, freaky Todd Solondz and the dismally overrated non-writer Charlie Kaufman, who wins critical praise for writing incoherent movies about why he can’t write coherent movies.”

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:04 pm; edited 12 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: KENNETH TURAN Reply with quote

KENNETH TURAN
(Los Angeles Times)
(2003 – 33 Quotes)
(2004 - 31 Quotes)

QUOTES
Miracle – Miracle is powered by an excellent Kurt Russell performance!
Kitchen Stories - Completely Charming
Dogville - Beautifully luminous...provocative
Mayor of the Sunset Strip – Revealing…The ultimate product of society’s obsession with fame.
Man On Fire - Washington and young Dakota Fanning, who, despite her age, has so much force and presence she actually holds her own on screen against her always powerful costar.
The Agronomist - A wonderful gift! An unexpectedly moving and exciting story!
A Slipping-Down Life - A whimsical, reflective romance that deftly captures the off-center ambience of Anne Tyler's fiction.
Shrek 2 - The adventure continues as Shrek 2 heads into happily ever after. Can an Oscar-winning animated success generate a successful sequel? Yes.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Cuaron creates heartfelt magic on screen
The Story of the Weeping Camel - Magical
The Terminal - Entertainment like this is hard to find. Hanks throws himself into the film's comic moments with a zest that is contagious.
Two Brothers - The tigers are a wonder to behold. All you're aware of in watching Two Brothers are the great beauty and grace of these remarkable animals, who captivate us whether they're large or small, playful or fierce.
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Incendiary! Ambitious and unapologetic. Has Michael Moore's sharp eye for what he can make fun of and what makes fun of itself. Excellent, provocative and uncompromising...This landmark in American political filmmaking demands to be seen.
Seducing Dr. Lewis - A treasure! A warmhearted film of considerable charm.
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - Unforgettable! A stunningly stylized film that pushes genre boundaries! Mike Hodges is a masterful creator of exquisitely controlled atmosphere and mood.
The Corporation - Entertaining! As visually diverse and clever as it is intellectually provocative.
The Manchurian Candidate - The strength of sensational material joined to excellent acting and superior filmmaking has made this film into exceptionally intelligent entertainment.
Collateral - Perfection...Sharp and exciting. Collateral crackles with energy and purpose.
Mean Creek - A revelation! An assured feature debut and performed by an expert young cast! With echoes of Deliverance and River's Edge.
Hero - A visual knockout! See this on the biggest screen you can and count your blessings.
The Last Shot - Comedies about Hollywood tend to be some of the funniest comedies Hollywood makes...add The Last Shot to that list.
The Motorcycle Diaries - The Motorcycle Diaries is a triumph. Walter Salles was the right choice to direct a film that, knowing enough not to push too hard, simply unfolds in front of us. Gael Garcia Bernal has the gift of unforced magnetism, the baility to make unselfconscious sensitivity heroic on screen. Soulful and reflective...as gentle as it is potent.
Sideways - Quietly, gently blows you away.
Birth - Lit up by an incandescent Nicole Kidman performance, this adventurous film raises provocative questions about love, belief, memory and reincarnation.
The Incredibles - Blessedly funny...The unprecedented film that is not just a grand feature-length cartoon but a grand feature, period.
The Inheritence - A powerhouse! With strong themes and an unstoppable narrative drive, it is adult, intelligent entertainment of a kind we rarely see these days.
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - The Spongebob Squarepants Movie experience is such a breath of playful good humor that its difficult not to be happy it's here.
Easy – Enchanting.
Kinsey – Daring
Million Dollar Baby - It's not just the exceptional work by costars Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman that stands out here, it's Eastwood's own performance, in some ways the most nakedly emotional of his 50-year career.
Spanglish - A comic drama about the way we live now, Spanglish is a film as contemporary as its title by a writer-director with a well-established gift for showing us who we are. It gives us ideas to chew on, moments to laugh at and performances to admire...

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:04 pm; edited 12 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: PAUL CLINTON Reply with quote

PAUL CLINTON
(CNN)
Bio
(2002 Whore Ranking – One to Watch in 2003)
(2003 – 11 Quotes)
(2004 - 14 Quotes)

QUOTES
Miracle – Inspirational and highly entertaining!
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra - This year's best comedy! Laugh-out-loud funny.
Starsky & Hutch – This year’s best comedy! Laugh-out-loud funny. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are pure perfection.
The Alamo - Brilliant!
Shrek 2 - The magic continues...a sequel even better than the first. Everything you could hope for plus more
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Extraordinary, highly entertaining and captivating!
The Notebook - Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams melt the screen with romantic chemistry.
America's Heart and Soul - Heartwarming, uplifting and wonderfully entertaining. A remarkable celebration of the human spirit.
The Bourne Supremacy - Utterly sensational. This is the most fun you will have in a movie this summer hands-down.
The Village - Another brilliant film from M. Night Shyamalan! This one will leave you stunned!
Little Black Book - Best romantic comedy of the year. Smart, witty and laugh-out-loud funny.
The Last Shot - Irresistibly funny.
The Incredibles - Hands down one of the most entertaining movies of the year.
Finding Neverland - One of the best pictures of the year!
The Aviator - The best picture of the year.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: GUY FARRIS Reply with quote

GUY FARRIS
(Northwest Cable News)

(6 Quotes)

QUOTES
Miracle - Stunning! This film will have you on your feet cheering!
Against the Ropes – Meg Ryan shines in a fun and feisty role.
Home on the Range - Sophisticated enough for adults and thrilling enough for kids! Don't miss this film! Awesome animation...Snappy songs...and a cool cast of comic cows!
Breakin’ All The Rules - Smartly written, very hip and truly funny!
Around the World in 80 Days - It's the best vacation you'll take with your family this summer!
The Village - Heart-pounding and hair-raising! Will leave you breathless.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: BONNIE LAUFER Reply with quote

BONNIE LAUFER
(Tribute TV)
(9 Quotes)

QUOTES
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed - (TV ads)
The Whole Ten Yards - Non-stop laughs
Van Helsing - A great way to kick off the summer movie season. One awesome rollercoaster ride.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - An absolutely stunning achievement
The Stepford Wives – (TV Ads)
Two Brothers - A must-see film for the whole family.
Thunderbirds - Kids will have a blast.
Wimbledon - Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst are a perfect match.
Alexander - Oliver Stone's most ambitious and passionate project to date. Spectacular and moving performances from an all-star cast!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: AIN'T IT COOL NEWS.COM / HARRY KNOWLES Reply with quote

AIN'T IT COOL NEWS.COM / HARRY KNOWLES
(2003 – 15 Quotes)
(2004 – 14 Quotes)

Read Scott Weinberg’s damning feature about how Ain’t-It-Cool-News posted fake reviews on its site:
Ain’t It Pathetic?: A New Level of Ignorance from the World’s Weaseliest Website

QUOTES
Torque – It’s a smart, funny, thrilling comic book. Better than The Fast and the Furious. (AICN)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Absolutely perfect! Easily one of the great romances! (Harry Knowles)
Never Die Alone – IT KICKS ASS!
Mayor of the Sunset Strip - Rodney's story leaves you changed forever.
Shaolin Soccer - You must see this film! It's so full of life, so full of energy! It's pure joy. Stephen Chow is incredibly charismatic
Jersey Girl - Incredibly alive and filled with wonderful moments! A truly wonderful film about sons and fathers and about what it is to become a dad. Liv Tyler is adorably wonderful, and George Carlin is absolutely fantastic.
Broadway: The Golden Age - The list of legends interviewed is mind-boggling!
Napoleon Dynamite - Hilarious.
September Tapes - Amazing brave and scary
Mind the Gap - This is a beautiful film - do not miss it!
I Heart Huckabees - Bold and original...David O. Russell is a hellaciously smart director. Lily Tomlin does some of her funniest film work ever.
800 Bullets - Brilliant, wonderful, perfection! (Harry Knowles)
Team America: World Police - The funniest film of the year. Absolutely hilarious.
Bride of Chucky - Seed is exactly and perfectly the film it needs to be...depraved and hilarious! (Harry Knowles)
Alexander - Alexander is a stunning film of visions, ideas, performances and spectacle. (Harry Knowles)

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: PAUL FISCHER Reply with quote

PAUL FISCHER
(Dark Horizons)
(2003 – 8 Quotes)
(2004 - 17 Quotes)

Hack Journalism at its worst: Paul Fischer kneecaps Ben Affleck
Read Chris Parry's Scathing Expose

QUOTES
The Prince and Me - A total charmer of a film
Walking Tall - An exciting, intelligent and deeply human action film
Dodgeball: A True Underdog StoryHands down the funniest movie of the year! It will make you laugh till you cry!
King Arthur - Spellbinding! One of the year's best. Unforgettable
De-Lovely - Not only delightful, but simply magnificent. De-Lovely is easily one of the best and most original films of the year.
Harold and Kumar Go To White CastleOne of the funniest, original and most outrageous comedies of the year!
Little Black Book – (1) Funny and entertaining. The year's most irresistible romantic comedy! (2) Little Black Book is one of the year's biggest surprises, a deliciously funny yet honest, poignant and irresistible romantic comedy.
Garden State - Natalie Portman gives an Oscar-caliber performance in one of the best films of the year.
Mr. 3000 - A total delight from start to finish. Mr. 3000 will leave you exiting the theatre with a huge smile on your face.
Ladder 49 – Spectacular! Magnificent!
The Final Cut - A provocative, spellbinding masterwork, featuring another magnificent performance by Robin Williams in one of the best and most original films of the year!
The Grudge - More terrifying than The Ring
Saw - As exciting as Seven and Silence of the Lambs...A genuine rollercoaster...The year's scariest film!
National Treasure - National Treasure is the year's most entertaining film. The Indiana Jones of the new millennium!
Easy - A smart, sexy, irresistible film. Bitingly funny.
Alexander - Magnificent. Powerful. Colin Farrell is majestic. An Oscar-caliber performance.
Spanglish - ...as deliciously funny and sexy as it is warmhearted, real and a total charmer. Sandler gives the performance of his career. One of the best films of the year.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:41 pm; edited 8 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: OWEN GLEIBERMAN Reply with quote

OWEN GLEIBERMAN
(Entertainment Weekly)
(2003 – 20 Quotes)
(2004 - 18 Quotes)

Hollywood Elsewhere 2/4/03 (Movie Poop Shoot)
"Owen Gleiberman, hands down, is the biggest nutter. He strikes me as someone who feels he needs to be contrarian to have any street cred; I don't trust that he reacts authentically to a film."New York magazine editor.

"Owen Gleiberman's taste worries me. I often use it as a reverse litmus test!"Manhattan-based writer/filmmaker

QUOTES
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Grade A! An ingenious ride! Leaves the audience happily and profoundly buzzed. Charlie Kaufman has become the most exciting screenwriter in America.
Super Size Me - ****! Deliciously amusing! Smart, outrageous, and so clever it just about pops. - Owen Gleiberman
Coffee and Cigarettes - Hilarious! Pure beatnik zen. jarmusch leaves you dying for a refill.
Shrek 2 - More than clever - It's a seriously warped pileup of fun.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Genuine fun
Riding Giants - A bedazzling trip through the history of big wave surfing.
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - Hypnotic! Clive Owen has more aura than any actor around
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Scalding!
Before Sunset - A celebration of true love!
The Door In The Floor - It held me to the end. A pleasure to be sure. Easily the most robust and compelling movie ever spun off from John Irving's work
The Bourne Supremacy - Gripping. Grade: A. Nothing that happens seems inevitable - which is to say, anything seems possible. There's a word for that sensation. It's called excitement.
Open Water - A startingly intense thriller!
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle - Harold and Kumar are witty, focused and highly aware. They make having a brain look hip.
End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones - Amazing. A seismic snapshot of the early days of punk.
Cellular - Pure chase-thriller excitement
Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry - Compelling, potent and eye-opening. Grade: A
Kinsey - Fascinating.
Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst - ****! Explosive!

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: JOE MORGENSTERN Reply with quote

JOE MORGENSTERN
(Wall Street Journal)
(2003 – 22 Quotes)
(2004 - 23 Quotes)

QUOTES
Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself - A beauty! Full of life! Wonderfully odd, and a gallery of perfect performances.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Gorgeous! A romantic comedy unlike any other! A film of flawless performances....one you'll remember vividly, with profound pleasure.
Hellboy - An instant classic. Hellboy fills the screen with gorgeous imagery, hurtling action and a surprising depth of feeling.
Shrek 2 - The sweet pleasure of reconnecting with old friends.
Valentin - A notable work of beauty
Saved! - Wickedly funny.
The Story of the Weeping Camel – Please see this movie! It’s one of a kind!
Control Room – Important and moving. Should be essential viewing.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Brilliantly funny
The Notebook - A lovely surprise...ripe with feeling and lush with physical beauty, it's a love story that swings confidently between age and youth.
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead – Hypnotic
The Corporation - Powerful!
The Manchurian Candidate – Powerfull acted and hugely entertaining.
Intimate Strangers - One of the best movies of the year.
Wimbledon - Wimbledon is genuinely funny! A sports movie with a quick wit, uncommon grace and a romantic soul.
Ladder 49 - Stirring!
Friday Night Lights - Billy Bob Thornton is amazing in this role.
Taxi - Queen Latifah is an indomitable...comic force.
Ray - Ray entertains joyously. It is a triumph for Jamie Foxx. He conveys a level of intensity that must be herd, seen and felt to be believed.
The Incredibles - The year's best movie so far, and by far.
A Very Long Engagement - Rapturously beautiful, startingly audacious and often very funny...it will make you feel deeply about love and war.
House of Flying Daggers - This movie soars! An astonishing combination of spectacle, suspense, martial arts flash, sublime silliness, anti-gravity action and passionate intensity - before and after everything else, it's a grand love story.
The Sea Inside - God bless great actors, and great acting. Javier Bardem shows how it's done.

Credited To Wall Street Journal
Suspect Zero - Ben Kingsley delivers chills. - The Wall Street Journal

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:05 pm; edited 6 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: DAVID ANSEN Reply with quote

DAVID ANSEN
(Newsweek)
(2004 - 32 Quotes)

Touching the Void – Go see Touching the Void. A harrowing, jawdropping tale of survival!
Goodbye Lenin – Madly inventive! A lively and poignant satire!
Spring, Summer, Fall, WInter...And Spring - Spellbinding! Both simple and deep!
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Spectacular! Hypnotic and great fun! The verbal virtuosity of Pulp Fiction is back! Vol. 2 goes about its business in a far more interesting way than Vol. 1
The Door In The Floor - Jeff Bridges is extraordinary!
The Manchurian Candidate - Jonathan Demme's The Manchurian Candidate is a gourment popcorn movie! Denzel Washington, digging deep into his simmering rage, gives us a man whose paranoia and confusion have left him stunne.d Obsessed with findign the truth, his quest leads him, and the audience, into a wild conspiratiorial maze. Liev Schreiber's role is in some ways the toughest; a man capable of performing horrific acts - the beauty of Schreiber's perofmance is that he's able to make us feel for him. Meryl Streep gives a powerhouse performance. This matriarch is volatile, humorous and giddy with power. The Manchurian Candidate is delicious, a hugely entertaining thriller shot through wit dark shards of agony and paranoia.
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - A crowd-pleaser! Complete with swordplay and unexpected eruptions of slapstick!
A Home At The End Of The World - This unconventional love story packs an irresistible emotional punch.
Garden State - Writer-Director Zach Braff has a genuine filmmaker's eye and is loaded with talent.
Collateral - A knockout.
Vanity Fair - There's much to savor here! Vanity Fair delights the eye. Sumptuous! Scheming, beautiful, seductive and utterly self-serving, Becky Sharp is played with great verve by Reese Witherspoon.
Zelary - Zelary has epic scope...A strong tale. I'd recommend Zelary to anyone.
A Dirty Shame - This exercise in bad taste is the Dawn of the Dead of nymphomania.
I Heart Huckabees - Your mind will be engaged and delighted.
Shark Tale - A feast for the eyes...this underwater adventure is crammed to the gills with pop-culture in-jokes, movie quotations and a stellar vocal cast.
Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry - Stirring! A richly documented history.
Friday Night Lights - Friday Night Lights gets you cheering, but it's a far cry from the usual rah-rah sports movie.
DiG! - Painfully funny. It's like a spectacular roadside accident: You can't turn away.
Primer - Riveting. Radically independent.
Sideways - Wonderful, hilarious, heartbreaking. This deliciously bittersweet movie makes magic out of the everyday.
Enduring Love - Thoroughly gripping! A meditation on love, faith and science! The gifted Roger Michell, working from a smart adaptation of Ian McEwan's novel, works up an unnerving sense of dread.
Birth - Kidman gives a bold performance.
Finding Neverland - Luminous and touching.
Easy – Striking
Kinsey - Engrossing.
Alexander - Alexander is filled with spectacular battles, opulent sets and grand passions. It's the work of a first-rate filmmaker.
Closer - Nastily funny. With a cast this good, and a director this knowing, Closer has many moments of mordant power.
Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood is doing the best, most assured work of his career. Every bit as uncompromising and even more powerful than Mystic River. If you want to see Hollywood filmmaking at its most potent, Eastwood has delivered the real deal.
The Aviator - Leonardo DiCaprio is astonishing.
The Phantom of the Opera - Emmy Rossum is a heart-stopping presence.
Hotel Rwanda - Terry George's Hotel Rwanda is a remarkable tale...Cheadle, in his richest role...Sophie Okonedo is a revelation.
In Good Company - A smart, up-to-the-moment comedy. Dennis Quaid is at the top of his game: he's a slow-burn delight. Tohper Grace is a wortyh successor to Tom Hanks, his comic style an elastic mix of cockiness and stumbling self-depreciation. A radiant, seductive Scarlett Johansson adds spice to the movie's considerable charm. In a holiday movie season up to its neck in darkness, this nimble comedy is a welcome respite.

Last edited by Erik The Movieman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: STEVE OLDFIELD Reply with quote

STEVE OLDFIELD
(FOX-TV)
(2004 - 8 Quotes)

QUOTES
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed - Fun for the whole family! I loved it.
Mean Girls - I laughed out loud - a lot! Wickedly funny!
De-Lovely - Brilliant. Perfect. Director Irwin Winkler delivers a masterpiece.
Little Black Book - Brittany Murphy is a powerhouse talent. Academy Award winners Holly Hunter and Kathy Bates lead a terrific supporting cast.
Suspect Zero - A riveting, first-class film, filled with suspense and tension.
Vanity Fair - Reese Witherspoon gives the performance of her career! A terrific enesmble of first-rate actors. Beautifully directed by Mira Nair.
Mr. 3000 - A winner! A fun film-and not just for baseball fans!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - **** A visually stunning film filled with heart-pounding adventure and clever humor. An instant classic. Don't miss it!
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: JEFF CRAIG Reply with quote

JEFF CRAIG
(Sixty Second Preview)
(2002 Whore Ranking - One to Watch in 2003)
(2003 Whore Ranking - Unranked)
(2004 - 10 Quotes)

QUOTES
Miracle – Exciting!
Ella Enchanted - ****!
Laws of Attraction - ****!
Shrek 2 - ****!
Saved! - ****! Bravely Subversive
The Village - Bryce Dallas Howard delivers the most incandescent big screen debut in years!
Suspect Zero - Ben Kingsley is absolutely chilling in a powerhouse performance.
Vanity Fair - She is incandescent. A real, funny and beautifully imagined story, told by such great actors as Jim Broadbent, Bob Hoskins and Gabriel Byrne.
Hero - ****! Outshines Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon!
Blade: Trinity - A breathless and scary fun-house that caps off the Blade saga nicely.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: GLENN KENNY Reply with quote

GLENN KENNY
(Premiere)
(2004 - 16 Quotes)

The Dreamers - Exquisite
Broken Lizard’s Club Dread - Boy, is this funny...side-splittingly funny
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - ****! A masterpiece! A hugely entertaining, wildly imaginative tour de force! It's easily Jim Carrey's most fully realized performance. Kate Winslet is truly remarkable. The supporting cast is brilliant. When their turns to dazzle come, Kirsten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson, Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood hit home
Dogville - ****! A masterpiece!
Before Sunset - A miracle! ****
The Door In The Floor - I was still talking about the movie days later! Jeff Bridges is as superb as he's ever been. Kim Basinger is wonderful. Director Tod Williams handles all the elements of the story with an equally sure hand.
Code 46 - **** Provocative, quietly erotic, deeply romantic and slyly witty
Stander - Crackling!
Bright Young Things - A wonderful cast. Terrifically appealing.
Hero - Director Zhang Yimou proves a master of action and epic storytelling! Jet Li, Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi are stunning! One of the most beautiful films of the year!
The Motorcycle Diaries - A sweeping, lyrical, visually ravishing film!
I Heart Huckabees - **** By far the most original comedy of the year.
Eulogy - Insanely funny!
Sideways - ****. Hilarious and poignant...one of the very BEST movies of the year.
Finding Neverland - ****! A powerful movie. Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet are immaculate.
Bad Education - ****! Gael Garcia Bernal is spectacular! Another great achievement by a filmmaker on a roll!
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - ****
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: MICK LaSALLE Reply with quote

MICK LaSALLE
(The San Francisco Chronicle)
(2004 - 10 Quotes)

Along Came Polly – Funny…with real laughs.
Miracle - ****!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - The creativity is dazzling!
The Day After Tomorrow - Superior! Colossal...staggering to behold
Around the World in 80 Days - ****
Fahrenheit 9/11 - ****! A career landmark. Michael Moore vaults into territory all its own!
Catwoman - Catwoman has dark elegance and stylish moves.
Friday Night Lights - People who like sports movies will love Friday Night Lights, But so will people who don't like sports movies and would never think of seeing a high school football game. Less about sports, this is a compelling movie.
Taxi - Real laughs!
The Polar Express - ****! Emotionally powerful
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: RICHARD CORLISS Reply with quote

RICHARD CORLISS
(Time)
Bio
Columns (Time Magazine)

(2004 - 18 Quotes)

Osama – Truth shines through every frame…Heartfelt and handsomely made. A film like this from a country like Afghanistan might seem a curiosity. It is more like a miracle. Now its citizens can laugh and cry at the movies. The rest of us can cheer.
The Passion of the Christ - Strenuously reverent! A serious, handsome excruciating film that radiates total commitment. It is hard not to admire Gibson's passion.
Goodbye Lenin - A romantic comedy so smart and sweetly mature, it's liberating
Troy - Troy is a vigorous, stalwart epic that blends martial breadth, emotional intimacy, honor and obsession, romance and machismo...this is the summer game to beat.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - A smart, enjoyable film...this one is truly wizard.
The Stepford Wives - Full of smart laughs
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Bullseye! Fahrenheit 9/11 more than lives up to its reputation...fascinating!
I, Robot - Smart. A vigorous blend of live action and computer graphics.
Nicotina - Frantically paced and smartly played, Nicotina deserves to be the next big hit out of Latin America.
Hero - A masterpiece! It's ravishingly beautiful with superb fight scenes. Extraordinary.
Warriors of Heaven and Earth - The actors bring heft and glamour to their roles and the battle scenes have the clanging thrill to them. Zhao Fei's cinematography is ravishing.
Shark Tale - A jovial Jaws...Finding Nemo with an urban contemporary tilt.
Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry - It's a movie much like its subject: passionate but delibeate, avoiding sensation but determined to tell the full, true story.
P.S. - We cry Oscar!
Sideways - Sideways is by far the year's best American movie…with one of the most poignant falling-in-love duets in movie history.
Ray - Ray is superb. It is as true as the blues to Charles' pain, as ecstatic as rock 'n' roll to his triumph. It sings, and it swings.
The Incredibles - The Incredibles explodes into the year's wittiest adventure, with each knockout action sequence eclipsing the last.
Bad Education - A magnificent melodrama.
Closer - Closer is funny, hurtful and splendidly acted. Seeing Closer a moviegoer has to wonder, Why can't there be a dozen, a hundred films like this? At last, a love story for adults.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Criticwatch All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: