Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it just me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Is it just me? Reply with quote

Or does everyone else feel that the standard of writing (and actual journalism) on this site is about at a level that you'd expect from a major national newspaper?

I'm not just talking about the whole studio scandal thing (which has been reprinted in newspapers all over the country, if what I'm hearing from various folks is true), but Alex Paquin's demolition of critic Walter Chaw had me in awe of the guy.

Along the same lines, Thom's regular pieces are the kind of stuff I find myself reading twice or three times, just to make sure I didn't miss anything, Eric D. Snider is starting to become a weekly regular read for a lot of people I know, and Collin, Erik and Movie Freak not only engage in a weekly battle of wits with their reviews, but they make for some damn good radio on WGN too.

Big props to the aussie contingent for keeping eFilmCritic updated and highly rated - Guv, Dusty, Steve G et all, you set the standard on a regular basis.

And there's others - Y2McKay has bloomed into a Reviewer Rumble contender, Ultimate Dancing Machine's Bowling For Columbine had me lapping up his words and thoughts, and there's new kids flowing in, like Schism, BMW Joe and the like. Heck, even Guy Smiley came in from the wilderness and reviewed again, after being one of the original dozen or so that helped us start this site all those years ago.

And Slyder... dare I say it? He's getting better. Just lay off the curse words a little, sly. They lose meaning when they're always present.

So yeah, big props to all those of you who have been reviewing up a storm, feature writing up a cyclone and generally keeping this place buzzing. There's far too many of you to mention individually, but I figured some sort of group hug was in order, being as we're entering into a stage of our existence where we're demanding respect through actions, words and deeds.

A personal challenge to every writer on the site - dig up an issue of some kind and write an article about it. Those features have been incredible of late and we should load up on them as best we can. Get angry about something, or investigate something, or beat on someone who deserves it, or think up a theme and do a weekly column. Reviewing is great, it's what keeps the wheels greased, but those features are starting to turn them like never before.

And if you don't have a feature button on your login screen, email me and I'll see to it that you get one toot suite.

Respect to all,
Oz
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the props, Oz. The site does rock. Some great writers and a nice mix of styles and opinions. This is truly the most democratic film review site I've ever seen, which is why I wanted to be a part of it. I don't know if we'll ever truly get the respect due from the media, studios, or mainstream public with a name like "Hollywood Bitchslap" (after all, we do use naughty poo-poo words in our reviews on occasion) - But hey, fuck the mainstream anyway.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the....

Oh, I'm not...

Never mind.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: heheh Reply with quote

Two things are predictable in life. The taxman will screw you every chance he gets, and Scott will get kind of, but not quite, offended any time he's left out of the round of applause.

Well geez, Scott, didn't I just tell all of Chicago two Sunday's ago that you're the only critic I trust?

And can't a nigger get a tabledance?
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Gilbert Gottfried thing still stings.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holler at a player - the Jew's reviews be the shiznit times twos

(fuck, I am so pathetically white)
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, THREE things in life are pretty damn predictable:

1. The taxman

2. My sensitive feelings

3. Oz snubs me

Good thing I'm a rich, handsome genius with dozens of girlfriends, or it'd really hurt my feelings.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, at least you can dance.
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancing is for pansies
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Cuz dancing never got John Travolta laid.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the only thing that ever got him laid.

-M
the ugly son of a bitch
The Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Never underestimate the power of the Cinema Lover! Reply with quote

Never underestimate the power of the Cinema Lover! Cool

And there's loads of them here. Thank God! IMDb was getting me down. So I headed towards the light! Never fear the light. Especially when it is accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith film-scores, says I! Very Happy

Yes, there are some level-headed Cinema Desciples and I can't wait to get stuck in to some good ol' movie-talk! Very Happy

Great stuff!

G.C.M
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, you old...bastard, you!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: