Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Movie Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Internet Movie Database Reply with quote

I am currently working on an article discussing the great (and probably too great) importance of the Internet Movie Database. I have been considering writing such an article for quite some time, but this is going to be a massive undertaking, and I am not sure it can be done. This is why I am seeking advice from the members of this forum. In particular, I am looking for errors included in the IMDb (like the misspelt name of the central character in "The Four Feathers"), and I would appreciate to know of any such mistakes you may have encountered.

Alex.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a worthy topic for an article!

Like most of us, I use IMDB all the time when writing reviews, just to make sure I get the right actors matched to the right characters, etc. Haven't noticed any misspellings so far, though (although I'm sure there are many of them - in a database that big with so many people working on it, errors are bound to occur).

In the case of the Four Feathers misspelling - is it possible that they altered the name of the character slightly from the book? Wouldn't be the first time a movie did that.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the film's official website spells the name "Feversham", and the IMDb spells the name "Faversham".

I agree that it's not the first time the name of a character is changed. There was an interesting anecdote about the character in a TV series whose name was changed because the first name was the same as that of Reagan's would-be assassin.

Alex.
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen more than a handful of misspellings myself - but some of them are comments that users put in. Next time I see one, I'll make a note.
Monster W. Kung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet Movie Database Reply with quote

Alex Paquin wrote:
I am looking for errors included in the IMDb (like the misspelt name of the central character in "The Four Feathers"), and I would appreciate to know of any such mistakes you may have encountered.

You're kidding, right? Just print any of the 'memorable quotes' pages and then compare them to the actual movie on DVD or VHS: the movies with the most 'memorable quotes' have something like 50 errors or inaccuracies each (by the way, I'm a regular contributor and I often send corrections, but it takes a hell of a lot of time, especially since there must be quite a few morons between the contributors who can't even make the effort to check for consistency before sending something.)
Charles Tatum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mistake I caught, and e-mailed IMDB to correct. A few months ago, I rented "Witchery," with David Hasselhoff and Richard Farnsworth. I liked Farnsworth, and the IMDB linked the actor's name in the credits with the late grizzled Oscar nominee. Except the film had no Richard Farnsworth. The end credits listed a Rick Farnsworth, a completely different actor. The mistake was corrected, but you have to wonder how many other errors are there. I vote on the movies I see (almost 3000 now), and answer their poll question every day, but be careful if you use them as source material. I don't blame them, trying to find viable information on every film ever made is an impossible task. Everyone makes mistakes. Hell, even HBS doesn't list Roy Scheider in the cast of "All That Jazz."

Charles
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems with IMDB:

1. Those f'ers have banned me THREE TIMES for various infractions, none of which I actually committed.

2. It seems arbitrary how they accept some information and not others. A few times I have successfully gotten them to correct false information; other times, they haven't.

3. Incomplete information: I can name a Robert Downey Sr.-directed movie that isn't listed, although it's available on VHS (that's how I saw it). Also, there are a few Andy Warhol flicks that they refuse to believe actually exist, though they have been publically screened. Efforts to tell them as much have been unsuccessful.

4. They pretend to have strict guidelines against reviewers giving away important plot twists, which I can tell you all about (see #1), but quite a few reviews posted blow surprise endings, etc.

In fact, a bunch of us should get together and post a make-believe movie on IMDB, just to see if they really bother to verify this information. As it stands, they seem to do it by coin toss.

UDM
Mrs. Norman Maine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The professional critics I know take IMDB with a grain of salt as most of their info comes from studio pr departments with all of the mistakes that entails and they don't have the staff to independently verify. There are all sorts of confusions about actors with similar names, incomplete filmographies and the like. There's a bit of a stink at the moment over their refusal to list a short film with Orlando Bloom in which he plays a gay character and it's been suggested that New Line paid them off to make it go away as they don't want anything interfering with the 'Lord of the Rings' juggernaut.

MNM
sean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: here's an example: Reply with quote

"Minority Report"

* Incorrectly regarded as goofs: For the time being, goof submissions relating to perceived holes in the logic of what pre-cogs can/cannot do are *not* being accepted. Since they are a fantasy creation, they can do whatever the filmmakers say they can do, even when their abilities are apparently contradictory.

There are at least a dozen inconsistencies within their powers; the powers change as a result of what the filmmakers need for a given scene, so rather than list all the problems in the movie, the IMDB (which had spent weeks promoting and saying how great it was before it came out) just posted that.

* Incorrectly regarded as goofs: Similarly, no submissions relating to the eyes, or the sloppy security surrounding their use, are being accepted for the moment.

It is physically impossible for eyeballs to stop moving, at least microscopically, it would therefore be, not just unlikely that the cameras would still let him through despite the fact that the eyes weren't moving, but impossible based on the neccessary technology. I told them that this had nothing to do with security, so they modified their goof thing to "not include eyes".

Now, I'm not *saying* that Dreamworks paid them something to look the other way ... but it is noticeable that every other big movie from the summer has pages of goofs (including stuff far more questionable than technical science facts) ... and right in the wake of the big publicity for moviegoofs.com or whatever racking up over 100 goofs for 'Spider-Man', suddenly the IMDb decides to back off of 'Minority Report' and only 'Minority Report'.

If nothing else, it's an example of bad site maintenance.

I think that the person who accepts submissions and such is quick and good (I've gotten things submitted quickly), but the person who corrects things is either over-worked or under-brained.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: