Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Men Legends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: X-Men Legends Reply with quote

Just finished it- Great game IF you are:

-any sort of an X-men Fan- lots of comic references and nostalgic fights- there is a 70's flashback fight that is the highlight of the game for me.

-have people to play it co-op- A MUST- do not bother with this game unless you have another person or even better three other people to play with- the game shines as a co-op adventure- one of the best I have ever played- think Gauntlet meets KOTOR- okay, maybe not so much emphasis on the KOTOR, but a great customizing system for powers, accessories, and lots of choices on what your character's strengths and weaknesses are. Plus if you just play with one other person, you can jump around and play as pretty much anyone you want.

-Graphics are fair to good- not much distinction in figure details, but many varied environments, really fun cinematics, and nice power effects.

- Iceman is a must on most of the missions- a fun character to play. My favorites are Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Jean Grey (once you power her up enough), Magma, and Colossus. Storm is a lot of fun using her lightning and her whirlwinds as well.

So that's my two cents on X-Men Legends.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gifted a copy of this at Sundance and gave it to Erik and Scott because I don't have an X-Box, but I don't think they're going to bother with it. Looked alright to me.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it a few times. (Erik, you'd have played about 19 seconds before switching back to Halo2.)

It's a fairly fun little game, if more than a little repetitive....

My team is: Colossus, Wolverine, Iceman and Cyclops. (Gotta find room for at least one of the ladies. Storm seems pretty handy, what with the flying and the cleavage and all.)
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you level em' up enough, Jean Grey and Magma are musts- Jean even does a Phoenix explosion which is pretty cool, and when she shoves someone telekinetically, man, do they fly. I like Magma's powers too- very flashy though I hate her voice- Cree Summer who has made a career out of being vocally annoying. She did the voice of a Tiny Toon- Elmyra the pet killing little girl, if anyone remembers that show, so that's what I hear when she speaks.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which are the WORST X-People to add into your party?

Much as I love Nightcrawler, Gambit and Beast, they don't seem to add much to the party.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody can be reasonably useful once they are sufficiently levelled up. That being said:

The one character you are not currently appreciating that can end up as the team ass-kicker is Nightcrawler- yes, in the beginning he would be hard pressed to fight even a tuna sandwich with the crust cut off. In fact, don't even bother using his primary teleport power until you get to maybe asteroid M. This power is great to get yourself and a teammate out of harm's way later in the game, but honestly its not the most dependable thing- I have disappeared only to reappear in mostly the same place. His shadow blend, likewise, looks kinda cool, but I had a hard time telling if it worked or not. Spend time toughening him up and putting points into his Teleport Flurry.

Nightcrawler's real gift is this latter power- once he gets it into gear, he not only does some considerable damage, but spreads it around to multiple targets and keeps him out of harm's way- and it fucking rocks. Now I will say, I am biased cuz I love Nightcrawler, but it is a worthwhile character once he has the points to beef him up a bit. At the end of the game, he was essential, particularly when the later model sentinels react to Iceman's blasts like he just let out the weakest fart... Stick with Nightcrawler- leave him out for a bunch of levels, and then bring him in and level him up.

don't bother wasting time on Jubilee- I never liked this character and evidently despite her inclusion, the game designers didn't have much use for her either, because its pretty much like the X-men are a school of fish, and she's the team bicycle.

Gambit- he has a cool attack with his bo staff, but it takes so much charge, and he is so weak that he's dead before you even use it- I played Gambit for all of 2 minutes and then went to greener pastures. Loser.

Beast- Beast, while not the best, does have his uses- once levelled up, the spinning kick, which is essentially a glorified breakdance move can dish out a good bit of punishment to multiple enemies- have a little patience with Beast- and don't use his stupid pinball move- the orbital bombardment is fun though.

I wanted Emma Frost to be good. I really did. And I never gave up on her- but in the end, half the shit you fight is mental resistant, her fear power only works on humans and morlocks, so all her attacks pretty much fizzle when you really need her. I kept her in diamond mode and just had her hack and slash. If there was ever a moment I wished for better, more realisitic graphics....

Psylocke- she's ok- At the point you get to play her, the game is in high gear enough that I spent more attention on the characters I had worked with throughout the earlier parts, so I really didn't get to use her much- give her a spin and tell me how it works out.

Rogue- Rogue is handy early on in the game with her brute strength, as the game goes on, I can't tell if her drain power is really doing anything. But she's far from useless, and throws a good punch.

Now Scott, I cannot stress this enough- this game really, really is at its best when you co-op it- it can be fun as single player, but I urge you to find one or two folks to go through the game with. It finds its balance much better by having you and one or two other people working together on it. I didn't intend on picking it up actually- it was my girlfriend that wanted it, and you can bet I was more than happy to make that one of her first Hannukah presents- we only just now finished it, with our schedules, but I tellya, we had a helluva time. Now she figured out how to unlock the 70's costumes, which I wish she had done earlier, so I'll have to play a few levels again for the sheer comic book nerd appreciation of it.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so which team do I use to get past the Avalanche / Sabretooth combo?
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much a matter of which team as how you attack- Sabretooth always needs someone hacking at him to keep him off everyone else. The problem is, Avalanche is the guy that needs taking down the fastest as he is doing much more catastrophic damage. You have to time your attacks against Avalanche, and know when he is about to do a major slam to step away. Both of them are tough, its coordinating your attacks so that you have time to hit Avalanch while not being carved up by Sabretooth that's hard- Sabretooth is probably the most aggressive AI in the game. He will pick a target and not let go.

Iceman is best for slowing down the both of them to give yourself some breathing room. I had Amanda whittle away at Sabretooth with Wolverine, while I waited around Avalance for opportunity with Rogue, Iceman and Cyclops.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr. Still can't beat these two. I even went to the Danger Room in an effort to gain a few levels. Grrr. I'm gonna do it.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persistance pays off- we just unlocked all the cool costumes the other night- go to a cheat site- worth doing- all the real superhero outfits, not the boring t-shirts and leather pants.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do ANY cheats on a game until I've either finished it completely -or- I've given up entirely.

Oh, and I whooped Avalanche finally. All it took was Cyclops standing in the background a'zappin' away with the laser-stinkeye. Yay!
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, of course, I'm stuck on the NEXT boss. I hate how the game designers make the MEAT of the game so obvious, but the bosses are monotonous hour-long battles.

Anyway, I've knocked her down like seven times but she keeps getting resurrected. I know I have to kill her "lieutenants" because they heal the bitch, but every time I go to kill a Lt., they disppear in a puff of smoke.

Fun. (not)
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott- I don't do cheats- I will unlock certain things at the end of a game, or during, like turning green hulk to grey hulk so I can hear a more intelligent hulk crash through things. This unlock feature in Legends simply lets me use the costumes I prefer- there is no other way to get them in the game- you can't earn them- its not the point of the game- this feature just enables you to choose if you want the comic book versions of the character's costumes rather than the Brian Singer Pleather outfits, which are good for cinema, but frankly, take a bit of the super hero fun out of it. Hey, if you aren't a comic book fan, you won't really need it anyway- I would just rather play the game using the 70's costumes.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: