Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here collects video games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Anyone here collects video games? Reply with quote

Although most video games are still too recent (and usually inexpensive) to be worth collecting at this time, I was quite surprised to find out that a few games that were quite widespread when they were first released now fetch considerable amounts of money.

I found this guide that gives approximate values for games going back to the early system in the seventies up until the latest game consoles.

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

And I'm quite glad I did -- because I bought this now quasi-mythical title for the 16-bit Super Nintendo system upon release in 1995, and now it's worth about the same used as I paid for it new.

Quote:
Immensely popular RPG, sporting some of the best video game music ever. So popular, that the box, manual, and all inserts could easily sell for as much, or more than the loose cart! Packaged with two maps. The DP price is on the low side [$30]... if you go to eBay, prepare for the worst.

From what I've seen, although it's a game that's barely 10 years old, the price is definitely on the low side -- and that's for a loose copy. Mine's complete in the box. It's not that it's a rare title, it's just that the game has such a following that many people look for a copy, while most of those who have one are not selling (like me).

So I'm just curious -- how many of you collect video games, and if so, which are your most interesting titles?
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really collect games, but I keep the old stuff around and play it regularly. Indeed, I'm sort of infamous among my family for not buying something until it's discontinued (and threfore inexpensive enough for my cheap Scots-descended soul). My Atari 7800, Jaguar, Nuon DVD player and Sega Dreamcast are all still hooked up, although the Jag appears to be busted, making it very difficult to play Tempest 2000 and Attack of the Mutant Penguins.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a few. Bought them all used or after several price drops (except Halo 2). I usually don't buy a game unless A)I really like it (duh), B)It has a campaign that's fun enough to play through twice and C)it can be played on LIVE. Right now all I've got are the HALO games, the MECHASSAULT games, and the Ghost Recons. I may start collecting more once the 360 comes out - if I can afford to at 60$ a pop.
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coveted used copy of "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" has a scarcity rating of zero, which means that they don't have enough info on the game to give it an accurate scarcity rating. Confused My "Rival Schools", on the other hand, has a rating of 5. Not bad.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: