Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuck Everlasting /Book v. Movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Tuck Everlasting /Book v. Movie Reply with quote

So I happened to see some promotional material for this one. I have to say, I'm terribly, terribly excited to see it. (And no, I have not seen a trailer and no, I can't link it.) Sissy Spacek, Ben Kingsley and the big screen debut of one of my favorite small screen stars Alexis Bledel of Gilmore Girls.
Does anyone know about this one? Release date? The book is such a classic. It has been long enough since I've read it that I hope to be entertained by the film instead of being annoyed by it.

Can anyone profer an opinion?

On that thread, what favorite book(s) of yours do you wish someone would make into a movie?

Ender's Game
Eye of the World Series (this would never happen, but a girl can dream)
American Gods
Atlas Shrugged (Reads like a movie, but we're talking a 57 hour movie)
Something by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, just so people would read him more.

-MMMMMMm

-M
Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the book was pretty fuckin' good, but I can't think of one time where the book was better then the movie. It'd have to be pretty god damn good to beat out the novel. I'm psyched to see it as well, and will see it perhaps opening night.
Eric D. Snider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: books 'n' movies Reply with quote

Kyle, I assume you meant to say you can't think of a time where the movie was better than the book, not the other way around.

Maegs, I agree "Tuck Everlasting" looks good. My only problem with it is that I can never remember whether it's "Tuck Everlasting" or "Everlasting Tuck."

Also -- hey, Maegs, I'm still talking to you -- do you want to see "Tuck Everlasting" on Tuesday? There's a screening at Provo Towne Centre and I have a shload of tickets the studio sent me to pass around. It doesn't come out until October, but they want to generate word-of-mouth by showing it early. Stop by ComedySportz tonight or Saturday (I'll be there for both shows, both nights) and pick up some tickets if you want.

Now. Books. "Ender's Game" is being made into a film, according to Orson Scott Card. He says on his site that he finally (after years of negotiations) signed a deal where he will write the screenplay, and it will be based on both "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow." He said not to expect the movie in theaters until 2004 or so, though.

"Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Pahlaniuk ("Fight Club") would make a fine movie, as long as it were directed with the right attitude, the way "Fight Club" was. "Fight Club" is one of the few films that clearly captured the spirit and feel of the book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there (probably tonight)

-M
Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: books 'n' movies Reply with quote

Eric D. Snider wrote:
Kyle, I assume you meant to say you can't think of a time where the movie was better than the book, not the other way around.

Maegs, I agree "Tuck Everlasting" looks good. My only problem with it is that I can never remember whether it's "Tuck Everlasting" or "Everlasting Tuck."

Also -- hey, Maegs, I'm still talking to you -- do you want to see "Tuck Everlasting" on Tuesday? There's a screening at Provo Towne Centre and I have a shload of tickets the studio sent me to pass around. It doesn't come out until October, but they want to generate word-of-mouth by showing it early. Stop by ComedySportz tonight or Saturday (I'll be there for both shows, both nights) and pick up some tickets if you want.

Now. Books. "Ender's Game" is being made into a film, according to Orson Scott Card. He says on his site that he finally (after years of negotiations) signed a deal where he will write the screenplay, and it will be based on both "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow." He said not to expect the movie in theaters until 2004 or so, though.

"Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Pahlaniuk ("Fight Club") would make a fine movie, as long as it were directed with the right attitude, the way "Fight Club" was. "Fight Club" is one of the few films that clearly captured the spirit and feel of the book.

Shit, you're right, I DID mean other way around. And how'd you get screener tickets so early?
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric, can I go too?

Pleeeeeeaaaaassseeeee!!!!1

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw David Sedaris read last winter, and he mentioned that something is happening with a film adaptation of his writing. Does anyone know anything about it?

natasha
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I'm probably going to have a heartattach right now.

I just bought tickets for a Sedaris perfomance in October and I am barely able to contain myself in everyday life in thorough anticipation.

A film adaptation might lose that darkly sarcastic introspection...

Still, the Santaland Diaries are begging for a decent treatment.

Nice to have another fan on the board NT Smile

-M
Eric D. Snider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Stuff Reply with quote

I plan to attend the Sedaris show, too. I love him. A play version of "SantaLand Diaries" was performed in Utah last year. I didn't see it, but perhaps the movie (if there is one) is to be based on that.

Kyle, I got the tickets from the Utah Disney rep who knew I'm sort of the movie guy in this part of the state and that I could probably figure out a way to distribute a bunch of passes.

Slyder, you're welcome to come down to Provo for the screening if you want, but you'd pretty much have to come down before then to pick up the passes anyway, which would mean two trips. But it's fine with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your excitement. I literally have never laughed so hard for so long. David Sedaris is amazing!! I think that he reads his own audiobooks, and I really must buy them. And, the pure pleasure translates in rereading and hearing his voice in your head. He is just beyond words! Very Happy

Last edited by natasha_theobald on Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, "Tuck Everlasting" was directed by Jay Russell, who also did the film version of "My Dog Skip," a movie I enjoyed very much (though I never read the book). I also haven't read the book "Tuck Everlasting," but I'll be seeing the movie this monday night.

CS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It'd have to be pretty god damn good to beat out the novel. I'm psyched to see it as well, and will see it perhaps opening night."

DemonSeed by Dean R. Koontz. The novella was retarded. The movie rocked it to Russia......a rarity to be sure...
el Grinch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It'd have to be pretty god damn good to beat out the novel. I'm psyched to see it as well, and will see it perhaps opening night."

Demon Seed by Dean R. Koontz. The novella was retarded. The movie rocked it to Russia. A rarity for sure...
el Grinch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the book's clearly superior, I kinda like the movie version of Demon Seed!

Koontz has had some BAD luck with his movie adaptations...

Watchers 1,2,3, Reborn
Whispers
Hideaway
The Servants of Twilight
Phantoms

All crap.

The best Koontz flick is one he actually took his NAME OFF OF!! (The Funhouse)

His TV-movie flicks have actually been BETTER:

Intensity
Mr. Murder
The Face of Fear
Black River
Sole Survivor

Something the IMDb just told me:

In 1976, there was a French adaptation of Shattered called Les Passagers. I never knew that...
The Other Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantoms was shit. Not the shit, mind you; just shit. I dread any other movies based on Koontz novels.

I'd like to see Catch-22 as a movie, although it would never work. Too many characters, and the insanity of it all... I just don't think it would work on camera.

Now, To Kill A Mockingbird: Loved the book, hated the movie. Gregory Peck was fine, but I think the messages were just entirely lost, and became way too sentimental. That's not the popular opinion, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Kyle, are you kidding me? Catch-22 was made into a movie in 1970 and, in my opinion, it's damn good. Mike Nichols directed it and it stars Alan Arkin, Anthony Perkins, Charles Grodin, Martin Sheen, Art Garfunkle (yes, you read that right)...and a bunch of other people whom I can't think of at the moment. I've never read the book, so I can't say how well they adapted it, but it is incredibly surreal, funny, beautiful...maybe even insane. It's out there. The DVD has commentary by Mike Nichols and Steven Soderbergh. You should seriously try and watch it letterboxed if you can get it. It sucks on tape.

CS
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TheAngryJew"]Though the book's clearly superior, I kinda like the movie version of Demon Seed!

Koontz has had some BAD luck with his movie adaptations...

Watchers 1,2,3, Reborn
Whispers
Hideaway
The Servants of Twilight
Phantoms

quote]

Hideaway, Paulie, that's the movie that landed me in the lap of my date for the rest of the film facing the other direction.

Its pretty pitiful that its in TAJ's bad list and still freaked me out.

-<MMM
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
And, the pure pleasure translates in rereading and hearing his voice in your head. He is just beyond words! Very Happy

Its that VOICE. I didn't want to see the play because it wouldn't be in David's voice. Perhaps I am just as reticent of a film treatment. I'd cast him. Laughing

In any case, I'm also thrilled to see Amy Sedaris also rising in the ranks of comedians. I heard that Strangers With Candy is in film development....although I'm not sure how that will play either.

-M
Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this REALLY crappy movie on Fox, called "Blue River" or something like that, I think that was an adaption of a Dean Koontz novel... it was about a town some guy (I don't even remember his name. it was that bad) visits and it won't let him leave. The book was probably better, because the movie was awful. That's probably not close to the title, though... can anybody shed some light on that?
Thom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only book I want to see made into a movie is the book I'm writing.

Lessons From The World At The End of History

That guy who wrote Permanent Midnight, Jerry Stahl, said something to the effect that, "It sounds like a Danielle Steel novel."

I got the feeling he wasn't really listening to me. Later he apologized for "acting like an asshole."

Vurt would make an interesting movie (Jeff Noon, I think)
Snow Crash - Bruce Sterling
Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Thomas Wolfe
Down and Out in London and Paris - George Orwell
A film adaptation of Samuel Coleridge's poem "Cristabel"
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]can anybody shed some light on that?[/quote[

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0280241

Black River - I mentioned it in the post above. Pay attention!

Wink
The Other Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, how the hell did I miss that? Thanks, Collin, I'll try and check that out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Other Kyle. Also, Buck Henry is in it and wrote the screenplay.

By the way, I saw the new version of Tuck Everlasting the other night.
***1/2 out of **** Very Happy

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

CS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: