Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Who
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Doctor please.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally caught up, just in time for the English people to be getting new stuff. Man, I hope Sci-fi has a plan for getting the specials on US TV quickly (I'd also kind of like to see the new Sarah Jane series, for that matter).

That was agreeably epic, though. Even though there's four or five specials before Moffatt takes over, this does a pretty brilliant job of putting a bow on the Davies era, and I enjoyed seeing everyone enough that I could easily forgive the excess of it. I do hope Moffatt lays off the Daleks for his first series or two, though - I was snickering a little at how afraid everybody was, considering that each series has had a point where they are stomped out almost to extinction (although I couldn't help but notice one saucer exiting stage right, apparently not exploding).

A lot of US series could learn something about how to structure a run from this show, though (I'm looking at you, Heroes!): Every hour is an enjoyable story on its own, and then the end ties everything together in a way that is pretty darn definitively an ending, not just a tease for after the summer break.

By the end, I too loved Catherine Tate's Donna Noble enough to be really ticked off at the ending - I wanted some indication that even if she didn't remember her travels, they had changed her; that she'd be seeking adventure. Ah, well. Heart-rending to see her break down, just as the Doctor has finally found a friend who is in many ways his equal.

So... Paterson Joseph? I must admit, I like the look of the guy for the role.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Smith, eh?

Damn, I feel so... old.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Matt Smith, eh?

Damn, I feel so... old.

Same here. This trend of going for younger and younger Doctors kind of worries me; in my mind, he should be kind of middle-aged, but spry and asexual (Stephen Fry was my ideal guy for the role for a long time, though he's gotten too heavy for it now). Even if he constantly regenerates, and is frequently playful, there should be some outward appearance of experience and authority to him.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought I wouldn't see a Doctor younger than me until I was in my 40s. And I'm not even 30 yet. Shocked

My choice would have been the guy in my avatar - Philip Glenister. Older, charismatic, tough and completely wasted in schlock like Demons.

Still, Smith is a bit of an unknown, which I like, and he has an odd look to him which I think bodes well as something to counteract his youthfulness.

Have you guys seen the Christmas special yet? Nice nod to the past, and to Donna, in it.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, same deal as before - I don't want to expose my work laptop to something like BitTorrent and my home desktop is something like ten years old and would crack like an egg. I don't know what plans Sci-Fi and Warner (who distributes BBC video stuff here) have for actually getting the specials in front of American audiences.

Bummer, because the preview at the end of the last DVD looked like a ton of fun.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, as it was fun. Flawed, as most of RTD's scripts are, but fun nevertheless.

And seeing as it's set on Christmas Eve, it'd be an odd decision to release it at any other time.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with the previous specials they ran them just before the new series. I'd really rather not wait until April '10, but I don't think any plans have been announced.

What's the tentative schedule for the 2009 specials? I've heard late April for the next, and I figure another will be in December, but is there one or two more between them, or will the last be saved for just before the first Moffat series begins?
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one April time I believe, then after it's all speculation.

There was a suggestion that there'd be a Halloween episode, but that seems to have been discounted quickly.

Currently, it sounds like a two-parter (or three. I'm still unsure as to how many there are) over Christmas and into the new year.

The only definite thing is at the end of the Doctor Who Confidential where they introduced Smith, is that his season will start Spring 2010.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr.. SendIt just sent me an offer to pre-order The Next Doctor. Even though I don't have a multi-region DVD player (unless you count the laptop), it's tempting.

One other question: Have they started shooting this in HD yet? With more or less all TV in the US having moved to 1080p24, I'm kind of surprised to see that Doctor Who is apparently still originated at PAL resolution (even though Torchwood is HD).
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they have yet, no. Probably in the next couple of years.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I prefer your mum.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can all relax. Matt Smith is BRILLIANT.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen. We're only going to be a couple weeks behind this year, and I suspect BBC America will cut them less than SyFy did, but I'm still sort of tempted to wait for the Blu-ray, seeing as digital cable generally looks awful (and Comcast is likely not coughing up BBCAHD in the next couple weeks)
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC America still has the problem of dumping in commercials at horrid times. Also, will you be able to hold out until Blu-ray?
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely not, but as I've said, I've got a no-torrents rule on this machine because it's owned by my employer. Sadly, Doctor Who started shooting in HD just as it moved from a station that I get in HD to one that I get in hypercompressed SD. And though Comcast made damn sure we had TBS in HD before the playoffs started a couple years ago, I don't think Doctor Who fans are as likely to string them up as the Sox fans would have been.
monika

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not only the U.K. 'S favorite show but equally popular in U.S. I love the show. Thanks to BBC to bring it to t he rest of the world. I like the present doctor Matt Smith.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Christ Monika will you get to the product already? Enough with the noncommital googlespeak commentary designed to have us accept you into the fold before you rain down your film download site link or whatever the hell somone has sent you here to shill.

Being trigger happy on suspect shills has backfired on me once or twice, but you know what? I've had enough. If a visitor isn't a shill but can't be bothered to come up with an interesting, provocative thought for discussion, than I don't want those here either. But you Monika... oh, there's some oncoming spam, I'm sure of it.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I really should try to hold out for Blu-ray, because the picture off my DVR last night was crap, and I'm sure there were a bunch of hints to what's going on hidden in the episode that non-crappy freeze-framing would have let me dig up.

I mean, I think I see where Moffatt is going with the series, in part, after the first episode (the Doctor we see visiting Amelia at the end has to be from later in the timeline, telling her something she'll need to know by episode 13, right?), but I also figure he can't be making the whole thing obvious so early - right?

(Don't answer that if it'll spoil two-weeks-behind me, of course!)
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, have to say I haven't thought that about Amelia and that scene, Jay. Maybe you're onto something.

All I will say, without spoilering, is that there's definitely something about Amy and it's not just her amazing legs.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my first guess. My one-episode-in hunch is that when we go back to this episode at the end of Series 5, all of those cartoons she drew and dolls she made are going to directly correspond to one episode or another. It'll be interesting to see if she seems somewhat ahead of the Doctor at times until then, leading him to figure out that he's in a predestination paradox and needs to be.

At least, that explains why Amy claimed the Doctor never came back before - he told her that she couldn't tell him. Very wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

(And as good as Davies did for as long as he did, I like assuming a time paradox that curves back in on itself much more than a Doctor-as-messiah ending, so maybe I'm just projecting what I want Moff to do.)
monika

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Baker is my favorite Dr. Who. I also like the Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy.

dish network
aarontodd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched any Dr.Who but I just want to ask a question. Is it really good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: