Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Not Crazy! Quit Shoving Pills Down My Throat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: I'm Not Crazy! Quit Shoving Pills Down My Throat! Reply with quote

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers~ 1956

Wonderful movie! I must say, there was never a moment of boredom. Putting yourself in the mind frame of movie goers in that era allows you to overlook the not so believable. Who leaves a dead body in their dining room, and goes to bed?? Actually, don't answer that.

It never fails in any black and white film, that when one of the characters start sweating and gets panicky from his/her storyline, the caked on makeup becomes much more apparent. And isn't it great, when the doctor freaks out and stares wide-eyed into the camera at YOU and gives out a warning!? Oh the dramatics! What a feast!

The thing that really got me though, was when the little boy kept running and screaming, and the first and only thing the doctor wanted to do was give the little guy a pill. The old "Take this and call me in the morning." Won't you just listen to the kid? They never just sat the kid down and Listened TO Him! Yeah, ok, they listened to the lady that claimed the guy wasn't her uncle, but to what? Tell her she needed a psychiatrist. The sad thing about this, is that people today react the same way. With all the mysticism in the world, the crazies are labeled for speaking their mind. Unfortunately, and I beg your pardon, but the general public is really shallow. Or better yet, they are afraid to face new possibilities.

What a movie! Totally worth the watch. And oh, the cars! 1950's Ford Sedan. OO, LALA!

Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you got to watch it in 2.35:1 widescreen, which is the only way to fully appreciate director Siegel's canny compositions. And I totally scored the other day: snagging the 2-disc special-edition of the 1978 remake for only $5! As for the 1993 remake, I didn't like it the first time but it does get better with repeat viewings. Plus, the intentionally-garish color cinematography by the great Bojan Bazelli looks positively stupendous!
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I envy you with your double disc find! And I did watch it in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The pods were so plasticky looking, I was hoping that they would have picked them up and started a boxing match with the cast members! Pillow fight!

I forgot to tell you, but I own Session 9. Crazy wonderful movie! I have yet to see Wicker Man, but I'll bet it's a goody. I'll check it out.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three of them are great - I've always loved the Ferrara version.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when the male hero is faking being a pod person and tells a suspicious fellow officer that they're "all one big happy family now", and the guy replies, "Happy? What's that supposed to mean?"

Understatedly chilling, this.
Miss Horror

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Agreed! Or when the lady screams with the close call of the dog getting ran over. And of course when she's "too tired to go on"! Silly women. They ruin everything!
petersob
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, the Nicole Kidman version is pretty good as well, though definitely the weakest of the four--I have to go with the Kaufman version as my favorite
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the Kidman version another look last week and it didn't really get any better. Then again, from what I've read, it was a very troubled shoot with the execs hiring the Matrix brothers post-production to shoot some action sequences. And, unlike the other versions, it didn't really play by a consistent set of rules, which is really frustrating to an audience willing to give themselves over to a film's vision.
petersob
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things I acknowledge in my review. However, it does have some intriguing ideas about the nature of the invaders and the basic story is strong enough to overcome all of the other flaws. Plus, the idea of having humanity represent by the chilliest actress arouund strikes me as morbidly amusing
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I myself have always referred to her as the Ice Queen. I had a similar problem with the casting of Leonard Nimoy in Kaufman's version. Not saying he's not a decent actor, but his character was too reticently played so we never really felt any loss at his being taken over, with the "before" Him not a whole lot different than the "after" Him.

I will say this for "The Invasion" -- the delectably-glossy cinematography is absolutely first-rate.
petersob
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimoy was in the film primarily because he was friends with Kaufman from when he was supposed to do the Star Trek movie. However, if I recall things correctly, I thought that the whole joke was that the whole self-absirbed I'm Okay, You're Okay attitude that he represented was not far removed from the similar nature of the aliens

Caper?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: