Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The movie "The Stunt Man"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skip

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: The movie "The Stunt Man" Reply with quote

There's a scene in the movie when a 1930's vehicle is crossing a wooden bridge over the American River in Sacramento. A man is hanging out of an opened door helicopter shooting at the car. Suddenly, the car goes over the bridge railing and plummets into the river. My friend and I were bicycling along the river early that morning and couldn't believe what we were seeing. The hilarious thing about it is, we had no idea a movie was being filmed until we heard a voice in the distance shout, "CUT"!
It's been a long time since I've seen the movie however, during the end of this particular scene, if you look closely to the far left of the screen, you'll see two small figures standing in the greenery. This is me and my friend. I guess the editors didn't cut that portion of the scene.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted to see this flick...

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
CharlesTatum
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a cruddy VHS copy years ago, and wondered what all the fuss was about. I should give it another chance, plus I worship Peter O'Toole.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchor Bay's got a pretty good 2-disc DVD package of it. As for the film itself, it's pretty overrated but can be admired for taking a lot of chances. I just watched the cocaine-cautionary tale Torchlight last night, and Steve Railsback is as manic there as he is in The Stunt Man.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Rush should've had a better career. I enjoyed The Stunt Man, then he didn't direct a movie again for fourteen years, then he did Color of Night, one of those purple-ridiculous thrillers I always have a soft spot for, then he hasn't directed again since then (and, at age 80, is unlikely to direct again).

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same story with Michael Wadleigh, who went 11 years after 1970's Woodstock till he did 1981's Wolfen. Say what you will about the screenplay, but the direction is absolutely superb. Yeah, the studio interfered with the project, but the final result sure isn't anything to be even remotely ashamed about.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always enjoyed Wolfen- great concept, some good gruesome kills (one of the most memorable decaps, a great "oh shit not him!" hit), Albert Finney is always entertaining- worked very well with Gregory Hines, in fact my biggest peeve of the movie is James Horner's laziest soundtrack effort ever- Of course, this is due to my hindsight more than anything- the "Wolfen" attack theme is pretty much the Xenomorph attack theme from "Aliens" which he would recycle to much greater effect five years later.

Then again, I know Horner gets raked over the coals for a lot of his 80's sountrack efforts blurring into each other- he also split off the Aliens theme for the Klingon attack theme for Star Trek III, and there's always a hint of Krull stalking around his more energetic tracks.

But he'll still get a pass from me for doing such exemplary work with Wrath of Khan, the action tracks from Aliens, and Braveheart, which is not as great as his Khan work, but is a brilliant work and probably the most he's ever stepped out of his comfort zone (Titanic doesn't win him any points as he just riffed on the Scotch-Irish melodies he utilized in Braveheart, to ho-hum effect).

What was this thread about again?

I walked by Carrie in Sex in the City wonce...
timtim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyder wrote:
I always wanted to see this flick...

A good film having a beautiful performance from Peter O' Toole.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the overrated Oscar-winning "The Last Emperor" which I just watched, O'Toole was the only one who had even a speck of vitality. I need to seek out a copy of "My Favorite Year" for he's absolutely fabulous there in one of the best comedic performances ever.
dolby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this flick yet but i want to watch it..
dolby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this flick yet but i want to watch it..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: