Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Session 9 - Am I the only one who's seen this goddamn movie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Session 9 - Am I the only one who's seen this goddamn movie? Reply with quote

Hi Ya'll? How ya doin? How is everybody's summer going? What movies are you liking to see? Have you heard of a little independent horror movie called "Session 9"? There used to be a really bitchin' trailer and stuff for it at www.sessionnine.com . . . but it's gone now. That makes me saaaad Sad. But it's still availiable on DVD, and you could be watching it TONIGHT!

Okay, I'm not a publicist for this movie, but I'd make a damn good one! I caught this movie a while back in its *very* limited release, and picked up the DVD when it came out recently. I guess I'm the only bitchslapper who's seen it, since I was the only one to review it. Anyway, you guys should check it out. I'd like to see some intelligent discussion on it here in the forum. It's not a perfect movie, but I think it's the best psychological horror film to come out in a while, and it really gets under your skin the more you watch it. Too bad nobody's seen the damn thing, but now you have been made aware of its presence, so you have no excuse!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McK,

I been meaning to rent this one (and Series 7: The Contenders...and The Specials...and Queen Margot) for quite some time now.

Your enthusiasm may force me to actually do it.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO IT, SCOTT! DO IT NOW!

(once you've seen the movie and come back here, you will find that line humorous).

BTW, "Series 7: the contenders" is also pretty good. If you go to their official site, there are some video clips on "how to be a contender" that are fucking hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cinematicradio.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: session 9 Reply with quote

y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I've read a lot on Danvers and some of the other hospitals that were built on the Kirkbride model. If you go to my forum above and check out the links section, there's a few interesting places to visit there.

I think the movie, while not perfect, is very good. It's certainly one of the most disturbing horror movies I've seen, and the more you watch it, the creepier it gets as you pick up on more clues and such. If you can find a copy, you should definitely check it out (most hollywood/blockbuster stores will have a copy laying around). Since you live so close to Danvers, you might find it especially interesting. The hospital is a very creepy fuckin' place, and that creepiness translates well to the film.
Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it too. Lived up to my good expectations, and I've been meaning to buy it for some time now.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO IT, KYLE!

hehe Twisted Evil

If you liked it the first time, this is definitely one to buy. I find myself watching it about every 4 months or so, with no signs of it getting old yet.
Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to buy it yesterday, but they had Royal Tenenbaums for $5 less... I got that instead. I guess when I go on Tuesday (Tarantino fans, rejoice), if I have enough I'll get it. I'm already getting Gremlins, Gremlins 2, Jackie Brown, and of course, Pulp Fiction.
Chef ADogg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: I saw it. Reply with quote

It got me all filled with suspense while I was watching it, and I was getting a bit scared, but after the first hour, I was like, "Wait, what am I scared of?" I thought they took a little bit too long to get to the point. I'd probably enjoy it a lot more a second time, now that I know how it all adds up. It was good to see Caruso back in action.

-C to the hef
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!!
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd probably enjoy it a lot more a second time, now that I know how it all adds up.

Chef, it's definitely better with repeat viewings. The first time I felt the same way. I was like "okay, it's creepy as hell, but what the fuck is going on here?" I've seen it probably four or five times now, and every time I find some new clue or layer to it that I didn't notice before.

Quote:
!!!!

Okay, TAJ, I'll bite. Is that good or bad?[/quote]
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programming Note: Both these movies are on Stars or was it Encore? this month. I have seen both of them in the last couple of days...

Session Nine - Fucked Up!

--not a very good movie to watch when you are working alone by yourself in the middle of the night.

The Contenders - that was weird....I missed the beginning so maybe that was it....

MCkay you say they get better with repeat viewings...don't know if I'll get that far...
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA, if I watched Session 9 alone on the graveyard shift, I would FREAK. You don't work in a mental hospital, by chance, do you? Twisted Evil
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be a spoilsport, but I don't think Session 9 is much to holler about. I didn't find it creepy at all. Wait a minute, I already wrote a review of this...

UDM
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, sometimes I wonder why I like it so much. I'm aware of all of its faults, yet it still works for me. Repeated viewings definitely make an difference. It has that kind of "delayed-reaction" effect, like Blair Witch did. Thinking about it afterward is creepier than actually watching it at the time.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this film bear any resemblance to Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Session 9
Plan 9

do the math Confused

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mckay - not a mental hospital ~ a police station...although we do get some winners in there sometime...ie some people who are a few crayons short of a box
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no relation to Plan 9. It has elements similar to the Shining and Jacob's Ladder, but it's different from them.

Anyone here ever see the ultra low-budget Plan 10 from Outer Space?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: