Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scenes that fuck you up...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Scenes that fuck you up... Reply with quote

...disturb you and just keep you awake in the small hours.

Watched Eden Lake last night and I'm still troubled by it now.

SPOILERS

Specifically, the last we see of Jenny where she's dragged into the bathroom to be finished off. Fuck, that was distressing the cold, matter-of-fact way it's done, almost in the background. Shit, it even looks like my bathroom.

Really, really horrible.

Others?
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing else in The Exorcist that spooks me as much as the scene where Damien Karras goes to visit his mother in the hospital and we see a couple of the other patients. One woman in particular stares at the camera with this blank, hopelessly insane expression.

I fuckin' hate that shot.

That whole subplot seems to be there just to add to Karras' crisis of faith and to give Pazuzu something to taunt him about later, but it really adds to the fabric of the film. I've said it before about other films, but sometimes it takes a horror movie to dig at areas that even a Serious Drama can't touch. Karras sees his mother among these madwomen and it's just so bleak and despairing. And then he talks to his uncle about getting her a better place to stay and the uncle goes "Who gonna pay for it, Dimmy? You?"

Today, they'd leave that whole subplot out in favor of more CGI possession shit (cf. Renny Harlin's piece-of-shit prequel).

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last shot of Costa-Gavras's Betrayed where white-supremist Tom Berenger's preteen daughter waves to FBI agent Debra Winger outside the church to the country song "The Devil's Right Hand".

Mad
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pixote"

When the woman is screaming at the young boy in the bathroom, and you know what is in the bucket in the corner.
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, seriously. I usually look away from the TV when this scene comes up. The zoom always gets me.
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered what that plays like for someone who hasn't read the book. In the book, that's explained. In the movie it's just complete WTFery.

Quote:
Roger is one of the apparitions haunting the Overlook Hotel, wearing a silvery spangled dog costume and a dog/wolf mask, and appears drunk from scotch and champagne before Danny, blocking the path between himself and the stairs. Roger menaces Danny away, and shouts homosexual references to Horace Derwent. Later, Roger is mentioned to be a friend and business partner of Harry Derwent, who is bisexual. Derwent mistreats Roger for his own amusement and told him he would reconsider sleeping with him if he dressed up as a "cute little doggy". In the film, Derwent's involvement with the hotel is excluded, and both men are possibly seen at the end, when Wendy Torrance looks in a room and sees two men, one of which is wearing a dog/bear costume, unnamed Roger and Derwent.

Also, this.

----------
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exorcist has multiple scenes where I have to look away because of the intentional abruptness of the edit- one moment you have a calm image, and then you are thrown right into Regan's bedroom (hell, right on her bed) with her staring down the viewer- intensely disturbing.

Its funny, I get nailed by the obvious stuff from this film- the majority of people that get jarred from this film are more affected by Rob's aforementioned subtle stuff. Like Rob, I find it to be masterful layering of the real over the unreal, which really punches up the horror when it happens- Karris is flawed, he's not the archetypal priest- that's Merrin and Merrin for all his perfection and piety fails. When all is said and done it comes down to a man in crisis helping a sick girl.

Yet over the years I can actually deal with this better than Pet Sematary, which pulls the old "deformed girl in the bedroom" trick from Exorcist, but does it so excruciatingly and horrifically that I find the scene unwatchable. Can't do it. Worse, they trot Zelda out again for two other scenes equally horrific- Rachel's dream on the plane where she walks into Zelda's room knowing full well what she'll find there only its worse- this Zelda shoots up from her prone position and tells Rachel exactly what's going to happen to her, and worse even than that, the EXACT scene from King's book where Rachel meets her son, with Zelda's head on his body - you barely have enough time to take this in before Zelda/Gage races to the camera and practically jumps into the viewer's lap gleefully chittering.

For very different reasons I get really fucked up over the ending of Being John Malkovich- I will never watch it again. The ending scene where Cusak is trapped inside the head, bodiless, agonizingly pleading over and over for his lovers to stop looking at each other, trapped forever being tortured by unrequited love, Malkovich's original personality obliterated, its too much for me. That movie is full of monsters, and after what was some brilliant comedy in the first hour of the film, I just can't process the turn toward devastation.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bit from Audition:

----------
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scene from Taxi Driver is great on its own, but what always freaks me out is (A) the shot of the back of Travis' head, essentially putting us in the position of the fucked-up passenger as he cackles, and (B) the very last shot of the woman looking out the window, probably wondering why a cab is parked outside and who's sitting in it, which puts a chilling period on it. There's also a shot like this in Raging Bull after Jake gets into a fight with his wife and she runs into the other room. In both shots you have a fearful woman not very well hidden behind glass, afraid of male violence. That Scorsese included those apparently superfluous shots is what separates him from the rest. And again, it's subtle you don't get a close-up of them crying in fear; you see what you need to see, and then the scene ends.

----------
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Donald Sutherland's alien-scream at the very end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers raises oodles of goosebumps.
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Also, Donald Sutherland's alien-scream at the very end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers raises oodles of goosebumps.

Christ, you had to remind me of that! My dad took my sister and I to see that when it came out. When we got home, we rang the doorbell and did the same scream to my mother when she answered. It would have been funny as hell, but my mother had no clue who Donald Sutherland was or what body snatching meant. She just stood there, then told us to come in.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blair Witch Project - the first glimpse of the decrepit house is bad enough, but at the end when Josh is standing, facing the corner? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit....
smrtpants

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JACOB'S LADDER
That head shaking scene...

(at 1:16 on the clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttcof7TQ-Mw
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::SPOILERS??::

The Mist: Mrs. Carmody & her congregation dispatch the soldier.

One Hour Photo: No particular scene, just the aesthetic of the whole movie. Everything was so bright and tidy and sparkling clean, like page after page of magazine ads. It could've been shot on the surface of the moon.

American History X: Curb stomp. Enough said.

Aliens: Hudson gets dragged off to die. Cool supporting character screaming + inhuman hand with opposable thumbs over the face = high times at the cinema.

Sleepers: The touch-football game and its repercussions.

Easy Rider: You spend the entire movie wondering what the fuck it's all supposed to be about...and at the very end, you get your answer.

Tales From the Darkside/ The Movie: In the "Cat Fron Hell" segment, the title animal literally jumps down the throat of a hired assassin played by David Johanssen.

Spider-Man 2: Doc Ock's final words. Didn't give two shits when MJ ditched her fiance at the altar and ran back to Peter Parker, but Octavius' death scene had me in tears. TEARS, I say.

The Thing: Norris' chest snapping open and biting off the doctor's arms. When I was eleven, that made me puke. No shit.

/for now.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: