Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shia LaBeouf slams 'Indiana Jones' sequel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Shia LaBeouf slams 'Indiana Jones' sequel Reply with quote

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/shia-labeouf-dropped-ball-indiana-jones-sequel

I'm not the biggest fan of LaBeouf (he's a just-capable actor, nothing more), but kudos to him for being really straight-up and more than willing to share some blame, although I don't think he has anything to be sorry about because "Crystal Skull" had a really, really crappy screenplay that even an ace director like Spielberg couldn't conquer.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film's fine until it enters the jungle - then it's like Lucas kicked Spielberg out of the director's chair and took over.
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just tired of Shia altogether...seriously, Stone couldn't cast ANYBODY else for the "Wall Street" sequel??
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And worse -- Charlie Sheen's returning.

Mad
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not LaBeouf's fault.

The real problem with that film, I thought, was that the Soviets did not provide what I would call a credible adversary. The Nazis, yes; they had a track record of interest in supernatural matters and would have been suckers for something like that. But I'm almost certain that the Marxist orthodoxy would have spurned such beliefs as bourgeois nonsense. I also remember that one of the characters mentioned that the matter was being investigated at Stalin's request; but this was set in 1957, when Stalin was dead (four years!), and with Khrushchev having repudiated most of his predecessor's actions. But it's stuff that happens when you center everything around how much Harrison Ford has aged since the previous films.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, the Soviets did have an interest in paranormal phenomena, and true to the film's shifted focus, it was much more in the area of things like telepathy, remote viewing, and precognition than the Nazis' focus on mythological items. So, yeah, I'll buy Irina Spalko, even if the timeline suggests that Stalin would have had to have recruited her as a teenager (and now I'm kind of starting to love the backstory this implies).

As to the Beef's actual comments... Eh. It's been a while since I've last watched Crystal Skull, but if I'm not quite so enthusiastic about it as I was my first time through (when I was one of five monkeys on the site to rate it full-class "Awesome", out of nine reviews), I still don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. It's a good adventure movie, and if it's not great like its predecessors, so what? I look at it as like the late-career albums aging musicians put out - not as good, obviously the work of more mature/settled artists, but still enjoyable both for familiarity and guys who know their stuff.

I think the politics of it could are a little crude - if this is what Shia feels, that's cool, and I do appreciate the candor, but implying that Ford agrees with his assessment puts someone else in an awkward position. I also hate the "look, VALIDATION!!!" reaction from the crew that has what really seems like an exaggerated hatred of this movie (and pretty much everything George Lucas has been involved with for the last decade or so), and I kind of suspect that LaBoeuf knew it would play that way, and I really don't like the idea of trying to (re) build a reputation on that sort of poisonous sentiment.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing with the Soviets is, things like Marxist orthodoxy don't matter here - it's a movie about the Red Scare era. They're villains as the US saw them at the time.

Shia's repeated "it's MY fault" schtick bugs me. It's your usual "OK, the movie I made wasn't loved, so I have to say I hate it too to save face" deal, but he adds this weird layer of "if I place all the blame on myself, my bosses can't yell at me for complaining." He's overcompensating so he doesn't look like a Megan Fox-ish whiny jackass, biting the hand that fed him.

Also, Indy 4 is awesome.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Supposedly, the Soviets did have an interest in paranormal phenomena, and true to the film's shifted focus, it was much more in the area of things like telepathy, remote viewing, and precognition than the Nazis' focus on mythological items.

Point taken.

Quote:
Thing with the Soviets is, things like Marxist orthodoxy don't matter here - it's a movie about the Red Scare era. They're villains as the US saw them at the time.

And this part of the film is effective, to a certain extent. The best scene is the one featuring the test village full of dummies frozen in this picture-perfect vision of the fifties, horrifying right until that idiotic moment with the fridge (which proceeds to ruin the entire movie all by itself).

I'm just not sure whether it's an appropriate setting for Indiana Jones, though. First, because the original films were meant to mimic B films and serials made in the thirties, in which the films were set. But by the late fifties, the very concept of the theater matinee was dead, or at least moribund, because of television. Second, because Ford, regardless of his physical ability or acting talent, was too old. I always thought that the desire by all concerned to replicate the rollicking good fun of the first films turned into a denial that an aging process had taken place, both in the film universe's chronology and in real life, despite the change of setting from the thirties to the Cold War. There are hints here and there, but not many, and based on the psychological evolution of the characters (or lack thereof), it might as well have been set in 1940. (I think it's the trait I like most in Haggard's Allan Quatermain: he is a relatively old man, well past his prime, but forced to keep on hunting just to earn a living.) There should have been a bitter aftertaste to the film, but there isn't.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug it.

And I didn't make nearly as much money on it as Shia did.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
brianorndorf
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet no spanking for DISTURBIA.
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or "Even Stevens"

Smile
That's Mr Shill to You

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: I don't get it Reply with quote

I've see him in the Transformers and Indy 4 and was unimpressed by both - maybe he'll star in a good movie one but he's got a fame/quality ratio as lop-sided as Paris Hilton.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: