Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Guilty Pleasure" Movies. C'mon, fess up!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: "Guilty Pleasure" Movies. C'mon, fess up!! Reply with quote

This is always a favorite topic on various message boards, so I thought I'd introduce it here.

Of course I don't think that ANY film that entertains you should be called a 'guilty pleasure', but let's face it: We all love a few movies that we know are pretty flawed...or outright crap. Wink

Everyone knows mine, but just to show I'm not above public humiliation, here's a submission I posted originally at HTF:

Popeye and 1941 - If I had to nitpick, I'd contend that these aren't really guilty pleasures at all, but movies that I think are damn good and unjustly vilified. But popular concensus is that they stink, so I always feel like I should duck my head down when mentioning that I adore these two. Same goes for Mike Hodges' Flash Gordon; a film that's often mocked but is, to me anyway, a damn well-made movie.

I'd also argue that both Ishtar and Hudson Hawk are measurably better than their respective reputations suggest. Not so for Howard the Duck; that's just poop. Wink

Since I'm a hardcore horror fan, a lot of my GPs come from that genre. Stuff like The Relic, Deep Rising, Resident Evil, Deep Blue Sea, Jaws 2, Night of the Creeps, Critters, Humanoids from the Deep, The Fly II, Species, Carnosaur, Mimic, Orca, From Dusk Till Dawn, Needful Things, My Bloody Valentine, Chopping Mall, Pumpkinhead, Squirm, Hell Night, The Funhouse, Prophecy, Grizzly, Rawhead Rex, that Blob remake, most of the Friday the 13th flicks, and about 1,200 others. Smile

I also have a strange little section of my DVD collection devoted to the following titles:

The Beastmaster
The Sword and the Sorcerer
Krull
Willow
Legend

...plus goofy stuff like Battle Beyond the Stars, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Used Cars and UHF.

I'm also a bit leery of admitting my relative admiration for movies such as Con Air, Charlie's Angels, Ravenous, The Island, The 13th Warrior, Armageddon, Shakes the Clown, Dreamscape, The Story of Us, Predator 2, The Long Kiss Goodnight, My Boyfriend's Back, Sweet Liberty, Clash of the Titans, Student Bodies, Fortress, Police Academy, The Quick and the Dead, Addicted to Love, She's All That, Young Doctors in Love, Freaked, Trespass, The Golden Child, Hero at Large, The Lonely Guy, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Dante's Peak, Up the Creek, Stakeout, Very Bad Things, Cruel Intentions, One Fine Day, Cliffhanger, Brain Donors, The Pirate Movie, Not Another Teen Movie, Bachelor Party, Disorganized Crime, Outrageous Fortune, Fierce Creatures, Deathtrap, The Cannonball Run, Scavenger Hunt, Clue, Greedy, Noises Off..., Oscar, etc., etc. Twisted Evil

WHEW! OK, so unless I just covered absolutely EVERY movie in the universe, feel free to share your own Guilty Pleasures...or simply "Crappy Movies You Love".
Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Guilty Pleasure" Movies. C'mon, fess up!! Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:

Critters, From Dusk Till Dawn, Needful Things, My Bloody Valentine, Chopping Mall, Pumpkinhead, Squirm, The Funhouse, that Blob remake, most of the Friday the 13th flicks, The Beastmaster, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and UHF, Fortress, Police Academy, Stakeout, Very Bad Things, Not Another Teen Movie, Deathtrap, The Cannonball Run, Clue.

The ones up there pretty much are mine. Oh, and the remake of House on Haunted Hill. I don't know why, but there's something about it...

The ones in italics are on my top 50.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sure Thing
Quick Change
Mallrats
Some Kind of Wonderful
The Ref
Overboard
Baby Boom
Youngblood
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Guilty pleasures... Reply with quote

Very Bad Things, Major League, Cannonball Run, For Love of the Game (just the baseball bits), Pump up the Volume, any Molly Ringwald flick of the early 80's, Battlestar Galactica.

Oz - who logs in and yet the board forgets him.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtuosity
The Patriot (Not the Steven Seagal crap)
Dick Tracy
Stargate
Multiplicity
Any film with Steven Seagal except The Patriot, On Deadly Ground, and Hard To Kill.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Mrs. Norman Maine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't Stop the Music
Xanadu
- throw those together as a double feature some rainy Saturday night...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Poseidon Adventure
The Towering Inferno
Robocop
Total Recall
The Wicker Man
Theater of Blood

MNM
Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and Clue. Although that shouldn't be considered a guilty pleasure, just a quality flick.
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guilty pleasures are ten times worse than anyone else's, and I don't even feel terribly guilty about them:

I Drink Your Blood
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation
Barbarian Queen
Throne of Fire
Soul Vengeance
Ms. 45

The first two are examples of comedy-horror. The next two are godawful Conan ripoffs; these things are always good for cheap laughs. Throne has particularly brain-melting qualities (sample dialogue: "Are you Satan?" "No, just his son").

The fifth is the greatest movie ever made: it's about a guy who strangles people with his extra-long penis. It's great for parties ("His penis had grown to...well...frightening limits...").

Then there's Spider Baby, which actually has some real merits.

I could go on, but I just can't take it anymore.

UDM
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: guilt guilt guilt Reply with quote

Oh I have plenty

Dangerous Liasons
Pretty in Pink
Sixteen Candles
A Room With a View
Last of the Mohicans
When Harry met Sally
Man From Snowy River
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Strange Brew

Superstar, which I'm not sure I should be so guilty about, its just too damn funny.

-M
Grinch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'13 Ghosts' and 'House on Haunted Hill'...not the originals, the newer ones...they're so horrible they're good.

Also....and I just know I'll get beat up and lose my lunch money...'Last Action Hero'. There, I said it. Shun me...

And whenever Popeye comes on, I find myself strangely fascinated...it's like a cobra swaying before striking.

Oh, also, any Sylvester Stallone movie...."Ahm gonna go four it.."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite "guilty pleasures" is Demetrius and the Gladiators, this cheesy big-budget film made in 1954.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above posting is mine. I had forgotten I wasn't logged in yet...

Alex.
Dr. Isaksson
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: I think I can name a few. Reply with quote

Guilty of liking these films.

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
Madhouse
Summer School (I like Kirstie Alley)
Halloween III
Pretty in Pink (So Dramatic! So beautiful! So 80's!)

There are so many more I can't think of them

Oh Yeah

Krull
Offerings

Mario Bava films seem like a good choice.

[/b]
Bueller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Murder By Death
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Young Frankenstein
The Poseidon Adventure
The Great Race
Fletch
The Love Bug
Max Dugan Returns
The Towering Inferno
Wayne's World
The Barefoot Executive
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Goonies
Love At First Bite
The Pink Pather Strikes Again
Uncle Buck
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
Revenge of the Pink Panther

...The list seems to just go on, and on...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are Holy Grail, Wayne's World, and Young Frankenstein on a guilty pleasure list?
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.
Roy Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: My Pleasures Reply with quote

All crappy fantasy movies

Beastmaster
Labrynth - ok, not too guilty about this one
Legend - maybe not this one either
Deathstalker II (I and III just stink)
Conan
Sword and the Sorceress
Krull (Lysette Anthony at 18...delish!)

And the deeper...darkest...guiltiest pleasure of all?

Bring It On/Gimme an F (yeah the cheerleader movies...plese don't tell my mom)!

Oh, and From Beyond (Barabra Crampton...wow!), Night of the Comet Ultraviolet, and (geez) Embrace of the Vampire.

No, I don't have a girlfriend. How did you know?
Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me, who just posted as Guest... I wasn't logged in.
Thom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not big into guilt, but I think I know what you mean. What kind of candy do I like?

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
Xanadu
Dune
Showgirls
Clash of the Titans
Pippi in the Seven Seas
Amadeus
Impromptu
Clueless
Pee Wees Big Adventure
The Hunger
Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showgirls? Good God. And didn't you also like Bubble Boy?
Thom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Showgirls rules Reply with quote

Bubble Boy was just so stupid, its not fair to criticize it. Indian food sold out of an ice cream truck? that's just genius. And the Sunshine Jesus Cult? c'mon.

I am way past the point of taking myself seriously. Any critic who does these days is in dangerous territory.

See, I know that nothing really matters, yet we have to do stuff anyway. There is no important cinema right now. I mean, there is, but you haven't seen it. Film makers make films because that's their job. If they aren't making a movie, they don't have an income, so you better throw something together.

The films that say they aren't important, yet proceed anyway, because there is some meaning to that, are the films that I think are important.

You guys are just spinning. Engage the fucking fly wheel, muthafucka.

The only important film right now is documentary because it reminds us there is a larger world. Provinciality causes bigotry and ignorance. The best stories right now are true stories.

I think there should also just be more fantasy, sci-fi, and supernatural thrillers. Original romantic comedies, more pan-sexual films, ABSOLUTELY NO ACTION ADVENTURE FILMS! NONE! BLEAH! YUCK! I HATE ACTION ADVENTURE FILMS! I HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM! THEY ARE ALL SO STUPID AND THEY TAKE THEMSELVES SO DAMN SERIOUSLY AND HOW MANY GOD DAMNED THRILL RIDES CAN YOU TAKE IN A YEAR. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE WRITING THESE REVIEWS AND WHO ARE THE PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO THEM. THIS IS A WAR FOR THE IMAGINATION OF AMERICA AND HBS MUST BE THE VANGUARD!

I mean, WE control the media now. Everyone is online. Marketing and promotion is so simple. We even have the concepts that Marketing learned from us. The Meme became Viral Marketing. Special Interest Group became Nuance. We could get a million people a week coming here if we gave them something they can't get anywhere else and then let them know how to find it. We aren't consistent, we don't have new reviews on wednesday or friday, we don't run consistent features. Just because we are an amateur site doesn't mean we cant' act like professionals.

Why aren't you all being more proactive? why are you capitulating to the status quo and then complaining about it privately. go fuck shit up. show them how to do it a different way. get involved. steal readership. Tell people to read your work. Promote yourself and the alternatives. Don't try to get on the pages of the LA Times. Be better than the LA Times and let everyone come to you.

Everytime you see "it was a thrill ride" you will know that you have failed.
Be the ghost in the machine, you aren't here to get jobs, there are no jobs, you are here to be the best and take control away from the studio publicity machines and to make your voice heard. Call your local entertainment editor and tell him or her when their coverage sucks, when their reviews suck. Make suggestions about what you'd rather see, what you'd like to read.

I was telling Joe that ideally I'd like to see quality writers in key editorial positions at well-known publications. The public deserves a community of the best writers and thinkers, else why pay attention? When your local editor is a bigger dumbass than the guy working at the 7-11, then you know something is wrong and you need to be merciless in your campaign to make things the way they should be. He laughed and said, "sounds like a great fantasy."

I'm sick of all these wussy ass writers, sticking carefully to formulas.
It's all so bloody bollocky boring. It's all going to start here, with us.
Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Showgirls rules Reply with quote

I tried really hard to like it, I really did. I heard Disney had something to do with it, and any Disney film this controversial can't be all that bad. I was wrong. I mean, just because something is original doesn't necessarily mean it's good. I mean, look at Freddy Got Fingered. Original? Yes. Razzie winner? Yup. But who knows, maybe I'll give it another go. I got a really poor quality download from a friend, it was damn hard to pay attention...
Thom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: do as I say Reply with quote

like what I like

I hate Disney. SMASH THE CONTROL MACHINE!

C'mon man, it had ice on the nipples action. There were guys with their tongues right on the latex that covered up those no doubt, tender, delicious pussies.

There was pool sex and lap dances and lesbian erotica.

What are you, a fag?

:twisted:
Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? My version of Bubble Boy REALLY sucked then, they cut out all that. Sad

Seriously.

I admit Showgirls is a very good movie... as long as you watch it without any sound. Shocked
Roy Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Wait a minute... Reply with quote

"I admit Showgirls is a very good movie... as long as you watch it without any sound. "

I don't think you can watch it without sound....there's a;ways going to be heavy breathing and squishy sounds. Hold it...do you mean sounds from the movie?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: