Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the book is sooo much better....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: the book is sooo much better.... Reply with quote

The one that I still think of first is The Prince of Tides. I just could not get past the casting. Nick Nolte was pretty perfect, but Barbra Streisand was nothing like the way I read her character in the book. This is the number one reason I always try to read the book first.

Last edited by natasha_theobald on Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the flick a lot

Well, I haven't read the book so........ Wink

But I agree, and of course, the book will ALWAYS be better than the flick.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Godfather (film) is commonly considered better than Mario Puzo's original novel. Same goes for Jaws.

My favorite example of bad book/better movie is Therese and Isabelle, a not-great but respectable movie from the '60s. The novel (by Violette Leduc) is awful beyond all description--a pretentious writer trying to do the Henry Miller/Anais Nin sex-is-holy act, and blowing it worse than you can imagine.

UDM
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for the most part the book is usually better. Perhaps a better standard to apply would be movies that are actually as good as, if not better than, the books. My top picks for that would be:

The Shining
Lord of The Rings
The Three (and Four) Musketeers (1970's version)
The Dead Zone (and the new TV series is pretty tight as well)
Fight Club
Dust For Eyes
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since books are mostly better than the film, I like to watch the movie first then read the book afterwards.

So then I have the experience, "This movie kicks ass, I'm going to read the book." So then I read the book, and then it's . "Wow, this rocks even more."

It's a Step Up experience rather than the Step Down experience of doing the book first, movie second thing.

True, seeing the movie may interfere with my imagination when reading the book, but I can handle that trade off.

A movie/book that's a glorious exception to book better than movie rule is Starship Troopers. The book's a bore, but the movie is gloriously subversive and funny.

I'm making a point of not reading The Road To Perdition GN until I see the movie next week.
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shinning isn't better than the book. it's a very different story loosely based on a book of the same title. it doesn't count. also, fight club is arguable. lord of the rings.... eh. i personally can't agree, but i'll admit it's arguable.
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
The Dead Zone (and the new TV series is pretty tight as well)]

I cannot wait to read that book - I just discovered the series in one of the marathons on USA. It is awesome and I could hardly believe that is Anthony Michael Hall from The Breakfast Club etc... I haven't seen the movie either....but the Tv series kicks ass
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the shinning isn't better than the book. it's a very different story loosely based on a book of the same title. it doesn't count. also, fight club is arguable. lord of the rings.... eh. i personally can't agree, but i'll admit it's arguable.

Okay, good point about The Shining. I like the book too (my favorite King Novel). BUT, I think Kubrick's version is much more psychological, the ending much more profound. I hated the ending of the book. What the book did right is build up the creepy history of the place via the stuff Jack finds in the basement.

I'd say Fight Club is 50-50. They're both about the same quality of excellence (though I like Fincher's ending better).

Lord of the Rings is much better on film for me, at least for the first book. Trying to read the book afterward was a struggle. Jackson cut out a bunch of tedious exposition and superfluous characters (like Tom Bombadil, etc.) that had nothing to do with the rest of the trilogy. Needless to say, I get hard thinking about how good Two Towers will be.

Quote:
I cannot wait to read that book - I just discovered the series in one of the marathons on USA. It is awesome and I could hardly believe that is Anthony Michael Hall from The Breakfast Club etc... I haven't seen the movie either....but the Tv series kicks ass

Yeah, it's surprisingly good. I didn't think I'd be able to take AMH seriously, but I don't even recognize the dorky kid from "Sixteen Candles" anymore. They took Kings original story in a lot of new directions for the series, and he has some abilities he didn't have in the novel, but it still works quite well. The movie with Walken is the shit, too
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: