Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue Crush!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: blue crush, moneywise Reply with quote

i doubt blue crush will break even. the teen sensation is winding down, in my opinion. i think more young people are willing to wait for the dvd on movies like crush or take for example the fast and the furious. mediocre in theatres, but better on dvd. i think this tactic shows just how desperate they are to get publicity, any publicity. inferior product + controversy = money. or something. i dunno. i won't see it for the world. no point break is this.
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Without doubt. Reply with quote

BWAHAHAHAHA, no shit. Why PAY for a bikini pricktease when you can get gangbanging and facials for free?

The thing I love about this fake post the most is all these wierd symbols and numbers that show up in it. "Hey y’all whats up? Hows everyone’s summer going?" Was this fucking post even made by a human being (if you can call a studio publicist that), or by some buggy piece of code they are using to spam-post forums?[/quote]

Actually, the weird number/symbol thing is what happens when you cut and paste from a Word document. I found this out on the Reviewer Rumble Final Round thread when I posted a lengthy "Thank You to everyone" message. It looked awful. Embarassed

CS
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. And of course the never even bothered to check the friggin' post after they made it, just move on to cut and paste at the next site. Ignorant bastards!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: From the ever-reliable IMDB news page... Reply with quote

You guys will love this. I know my mom does (bless her soul).

Website Claims Phony Fan Is a Studio Shill

An editorial writer for an Internet movie fan site claimed Wednesday that he has traced the IP address of a person who planted a rave review of the upcoming movie Blue Crush, starring Kate Bosworth, on its message board to Universal Pictures' registered corporate site, MCI.com. (As we reported previously, the same review was posted on other movie fan sites.) The HollywoodBitchSlap.com writer, who goes by the nom de plume "OZ" ("We're not giving out our personal details.") claimed: "We've got them caught red-handed, and not once, but twice!" (A similar message, he said, was posted for the upcoming Red Dragon.) After Sony publicists admitted last year that they had invented a critic named David Manning to praise the studio's movies in its ads and had used studio employees in testimonial commercials, Universal publicity chief Terry Curtin told the Washington Post, "I don't condone either of those practices, nor have I done either of those practices." However, the HollywoodBitchSlap writer asked, "What's the difference between paying your staff to pretend to be film fans on websites across the country and paying them to pretend to be happy customers in a TV commercial?" Curtin was not available for comment at our deadline.

---
Okay, they got a few things wrong (MCA, not MCI - Universal doesn't sell long distance), but I personally love that their publicity chief is hunkered down avoiding questions.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! OZ strikes a blow for the common man! You know that giving them a paycheck is the only way you could get someone besides a horny 14 year old boy to rave so much about this steaming pile.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Holy crap, it just gets deeper. Reply with quote

Banged through the old messageboard posts today (thanks to Ben for finding them, and to the Jew for helping go through them) and tracked down another two posts from MCA.com in our past - Undercover Brother and Bourne Identity.

We also got out hands on an email from a former Universal publicity employee who names some names and makes it clear that this is the tip of the iceberg.

This thing ain't going to die, and we're making sure of it. But to you reviewers out there, if you wanna get noticed, these next few days might be a great time to start posting reviews. We're going to be getting a lot of new folks sniffing around.

http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/hbs.cgi?feature=608

Cazart!
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a vindictive guy by nature (angry, yes; vindictive, no), but I think it's high time Universal (and the other guilty parties) are taken to task for this pathetic and insulting form of 'advertising'.

These people have milti-million-dollar advertising budgets! Posting fake messages seems akin to a billionaire spending all day looking for nickels!

What scalds my ass the most is that these 'posts' are an absolute insult to the intelligence of anyone with half a brain. Surely anyone who frequents a movie website is DUMB enough to fall for any enthusiastic old bullshit, right?

Wrong-o.

Advertising = selling. Lying = Lying.

There's a big difference, dammit.
Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: I resent that. Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
You know that giving them a paycheck is the only way you could get someone besides a horny 14 year old boy to rave so much about this steaming pile.

You've got to be fucking shitting me. I'm exactly that and I wouldn't give this a rave review if I was a publicist.

And way to go, Oz! Break down the system!

BTW: I feel like vomiting. Pretending to be a normal movie fan looking foward to a movie is one thing, but bribing professional movie critics....
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to stand up for horny 14 year olds, Kyle. I respect that. Cool
Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
Way to stand up for horny 14 year olds, Kyle. I respect that. Cool

Gotta defend my people.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thing that puzzles me.

Why is Blue crush getting such positive feedback? Hell, its Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes, and I just stared at my screen in disbelief.

Who knows, maybe this movie isn't as bad as we all thought.

But like I said, who knows?

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: As Phil Hartman might say... Reply with quote

Delicious...

Reprinted from our news page...

In perhaps the most delicious irony since Moses was in pre-school...

Universal Pictures and Shutt/Jones Productions, the teams behind the recent plague of marketing employees pretending to be real customers who just can't say enough good things about Universal films, on this and other websites, have picked up a new screenplay called... and I swear we're not making this up... False Advertising.
And of course, true to the usual Hollywood form, the pitch, from screenwriters Abdi Nazemian and Micah Schraft (My Best Friend's Boyfriend), is based on someone else's work, this time being the 1961 Rock Hudson/Doris Day rom-com, "Lover Come Back." Not only is this rip-off totally unoriginal, but seeing as Universal management and/or their employees are engaging in continual acts of criminal consumer fraud on our website, it's just a tad inappropriate. Don't you really think?
Hessian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a so called user comment from IMDB:

Quote:
User Comments:

a9901548
Los Angeles, CA

Date: 25 July 2002
Summary: Stunning surf sequences and good cast

Blue Crush is a hit. I saw it at a preview screening in LA and was absolutely delighted. The surf sequences are absolutely spectacular and have never been seen like this in a movie. The characters are also believable and the story - if not the most innovative ever - keeps you interested. Kate Bosworth as Ann-Marie is great. Blue Crush is the ultimate surf movie.

Is it just me, or does this smell like more BS propergander from the Universal's stuges?
Roy Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: The HBS Community as a Weapon Reply with quote

I, the undersigned, pledge to never spend money on any money some publicist shamelessly plugs on our site.

I will download it from the net and encourage others to do so.

I will never pay to see it in the first or secodn run theatres.

I will never purchase the tape and DVD made of it.

I will make efforts to see the studio never recieves one cent from me or anyone I can make copies for if at all possible.

I will use piracy to fight deceptive advertising.

And I will not feel one bit of guilt for doing so.

This is our declaration of war.

Roy Smith
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got Blue BALLS... Reply with quote

Grinch wrote:
Blue Crush? Cmon, do you like Clear Pepsi also?

Thanks, MCA publicist-bot, but I'll just watch the Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii episodes...

Mm. Clear Pepsi.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

Buy an LA times this coming Tuesday. We's about to get our props.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait. Is the whole "fake publicity posts" scandal finally coming into the mainstream?
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Oh yeah. Reply with quote

Totally. It might be a little broader than just movies, and the old 'don't know if we can mention hollywoodBITCHslap, can we mention efilmcritic instead' issue is once again alive and well, but expect us to be in the forefront of the bitching. And if anyone can get the studios answering questions, it's the LA Times. They're the only independent game in town.
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh yeah. Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
And if anyone can get the studios answering questions, it's the LA Times. They're the only independent game in town.

i dunno... i'd hardly call the times independent...
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Explained.. Reply with quote

In terms of press that isn't reliant on the studio advertising dollar, they sure as hell beat the Hollywood Reporter and Variety. Hollywood Reporter told me "the higher ups aren't really interested in exposing the studios dirty tricks, especially when they make us look bad."

Way to utilize that freedom of the press.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Studios admit to using phony fans! Reply with quote

Here it is, as promised - complete with admission from the studios that they use 'street teams' to start up net talk.

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/goldstein/cl-et-gold1oct01,0,4327739.story?coll=cl%2Dhome%2Dmore%2Dchannels

...and while we're at it, the IMDB's Studio Briefing also picked up on the story.

http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/#2
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the part that kills me the most:

"They were unpaid volunteers expressing their unscripted enthusiasm. They were not posing as fans; they were fans."

How the fuck are they going to be fans of films that, by their own admission, they haven't even seen yet? People are fans of individual movies, not of studios. Nobody goes around saying "That Universal pictures is the shiznit!" Nobody is going to go around touting every crappy looking upcoming release because they are a "fan" of the studio.

And an unpaid plant is still a plant. They just happen to not be smart enough to get paid for it. But then, I'm not smart enough to get paid for reviewing movies either . . .
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's more is that if they're posting from one of the company's servers, then they're not unpaid volunteers. they're at least using the company's computers/internet connection.

i wouldn't have (as much of) a problem with it, if they had a newsletter for their fans and 'suggested' to them to go to various message boards and promote their movies. however, they're either bringing people into their offices to do it, or having people who already work for them do it. either way, it's not exactly ethical.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Alternately... Reply with quote

I wouldn't have a problem with a guy who shot a low budget film trying to get some press the only way they can manage it - expense-free. But these guys are multi-billion dollar conglomerates and what they're doing is writing their slogan on our wall. If you want the advertising space, pony up and we'll walk hand in hand, but don't come into our kitchen, piss your name in our soup and then walk to the next house. That's just low class.

Mind you, check this out.

http://on-linestreetteam.tripod.com/aguide.htm

It's pretty sad reading. These 'street teams' do all the work and instead of getting cash, they get a cap. Why would anyone do this? And what makes the studios think that just because they're paying in goods instead of cash that they're not paying for their services? Try explaining to the taxman that you don't owe taxes because your company only paid your rent, not a wage.

Scam.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: