Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original Endings...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Original Endings... Reply with quote

So I was reading the original Ferris Bueller's Day Off script again this morning and it struck me that the original story was much different than what ended up on the screen.

Which made me think of Clerks and the 'original' ending that was so unoriginal that it got chopped, making the film far better than it was.

Which led me to think back on the original True Romance screenplay, where Christian Slater's character was supposed to have died, not been dragged off to live with an eye patch for the rest of his happy days. His wife was supposed to have turned to crime, but instead she popped out a kid. I dunno, I think the original would have been better.

Which then led me to think of City of Angels, and how that would have been such a better film if it had ended when Meg Ryan's candle blew out, rather than giving us ten minutes of orchestral excess.

So which movies do you think you could have recut the ending on and changed them for the better? And which 'alternate endings' have you seen that would have been preferable to the finished product?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original ending of The Vanishing comes to mind (the foreign version over the Americanized re-make). Seeing as how they're both from the same director, I think it fits the topic. I also prefer the ending for Army of Darkness where Ash ends up taking 1 sleeping pill too many and ends up 100 years into the future which is nothing but a desolate wasteland. Very, very funny.

CS
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I might start with City of Angels the next time we do a rumble. That movie just pushes so many of my buttons, it makes my teeth hurt.

Wings of Desire so surpasses the absolute lukewarm producer drivel that is City of Angels, it is beyond criminal, it is crimially insane. The original Wings of Desire ending posesses more life, beauty, and heart breaking passion than a thousand Meg Ryan movies.

City of Angels is one of those movies that when viewed forces you to contemplate if Ted Kazcynski might have had something there...I'd like to personally deliver a package of my indignation to everyone involved on that abomination. Everyone. The bike messenger who brought the script, the girl from craft services, the babysitter the producer schtupped, and most of all PG&E because the California Power crisis didn't come soon enough to stop this ghastly remake.

Sorry if I got too off topic Oz. Uhm. So the Wings of Desire ending is better than that of City of Angels.

-M
Mrs. Norman Maine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original ending for 'Fatal Attraction' where Glenn Close commits suicide in such a way that it frames Michael Douglas for her murder is much more fitting for the story.

I also like the ending for 'American Beauty' where Wes Bentley and Thora Birch get the blame for the shooting of Kevin Spacey. And it makes the opening make a lot more sense.

MNM
sean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: endings Reply with quote

I've never read 'Ferris'; please, enlighten me.

'True Romance' you can see on the new DVD. You may be surprised -- I went into it thinking that that would be the far better ending, but, by the end of it, I was glad it had been cut. The voice over dialogue was terrible, and, as even Tarantino admitted, it didn't fit the movie that Tony Scott made.

And 'American Beauty', that wasn't the ending, it was the chronological ending, but it was all shown at the beginning (wasn't it? At least most of the stuff was). I didn't like that because the whole movie seemed, to me, to really be about Thora Birch and how she's fighting to be more "normal" but has no idea what "normal" means ... to have her arbitrarily (and falsely) punished for the murder of her father would've changed the entire message of the movie. And to show it all at the beginning, aside from giving too much away, would've started the movie off on a foot that would be difficult to recover from.

I like the ending of 'Jaws' which Spielberg proposed (though it couldn't really be called the 'original' ending), which was Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss (or, possibly at this stage, just Roy Scheider, since I've always assumed that Dreyfuss only lived because of test screenings) paddling off towards the shore ... and suddenly, behind them, a fleet of shark fins.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stopped watching alternative endings on DVD. Even if the filmmakers have screwed up and given a film a bad ending, it just shatters the illusion for me to have options.
Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... where can I get these scripts? With the Ferris Bueller alternate ending, and American Beauty one?
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no better place on the net for screenplays than Drew's Script-O-Rama (http://www.script-o-rama.com). It's my automatic first stop when I hit "I'm bored" territory online, though it's a bitch to navigate sometimes.
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the original script for Heathers has Winona Ryder--

(Oh, wait.

spoiler alert

turn back if you don't wanna hear it.)

deciding that Christian Slater was right after all, resetting the bomb, and blowing everybody to kingdom come. I think that works better than what they actually shot.

UDM
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that she wanted to make some changes where she actually put the bomb in her bag without paying for it and snuck out the back door.

Swear.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheh. She's going to be joke-fodder for YEARS to come. Poor lass.
Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
I heard that she wanted to make some changes where she actually put the bomb in her bag without paying for it and snuck out the back door.

Swear.

Hahahaha... that I can see.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: