Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lost
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... I'm enjoying the flashbacks, just for the chance to soak up more character goodness. New information be damned, I just like watching Hurley hang out, ya know?

Then again, I seem to be the only person on the globe satisfied with this season. I'm enjoying the leisurely pace - no need to rush us through all sorts of answers.

Dave
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with David on that one. I know there haven't been any BIG revelations in the past few flashbacks, but I enjoyed the seeing Hurley react to being burdened with responsibility and I thought the Jin and Sun flashback had a really cool fairy tale kind of quality to it.

As for the word that a cast member will die - The identity of this person is EVERYWHERE on the net. if you don't want to know who it is, be very careful about the web sites you go to over the next few weeks - I've already had it spoiled for me by a HEADLINE that gave it away.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Pyzik wrote:
if you don't want to know who it is, be very careful about the web sites you go to over the next few weeks - I've already had it spoiled for me by a HEADLINE that gave it away.

Ouch. That blows. And thanks for the warning. (Anyone caught spoiling here will be keelhauled, by the way.)

I never understood the idea of wanting to get spoiled. Doesn't that detract from the entire experience? Sure, you get to be a prick who brags about how you know what's going to happen, but you also can't enjoy a single episode.

Dave
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know, I've been avoiding reading about it like the plague. I even stopped going to the lost forum because of all the goddamn spoilers (and the multiple threads about the same shit). If there's one show I don't want spoiled it's that one.

Just to clarify, I did enjoy the flashbacks of the last few weeks because I'm a huge fan of Hurley, Jin, and Sun - but the bottom line is they were unecessary and didn't really reveal anything new that we hadn't already surmised. Meanwhile, how much longer can they drag their feet on this "Others" shit?

There's "taking your time" and then there's stalling. This is starting to feel like stalling. But hell, maybe they did it because of baseball season. It would suck to have some new big mystery or revelation happen, only for the show to go away for 3 weeks.

Here's hoping the next one is gonna rock our world again.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an observational note, my gal was babysitting her nieces and nephews and they were watching Peter Pan- when they are marching around with the Indians, sure enough, there's a teddy being dragged by a rope along the ground.

Don't mind the flashbacks, I thought this last episode was one of the most tense, suspenseful moments captured on the small screen. I jumped at Michael's shirt. Michael's. Shirt.

Yes, I'd like more time spent on the present too, but as long as the quality continues, I'll stay on the ride.

You all realize they could do an entire season just based off of the folks in the Tail section's ordeals? Part of me was dreading a lead up to that, so we are back to square one by the third season instead of any reveals.
froggit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're headed for some major revelations about the Others (or at least I hope we are). Focusing on the ordeals of the people from the Tail is a lead in to discussion of the Others, as they've actually had contact with them (or at least as much contact as one can get when a group of crazy islanders is picking off people from your group one at a time).
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New episode tomorrow (finally!)

Okay boys, we've had enough padding and rehashing and filler flashbacks - let's get back to the meat and potatoes now, shall we?
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoyed the american dad shout-out: he's going to go out and buy a satellite dish in saudi arabia: "Just because we're in a foreign country doesn't mean it's not WEDNESDAY." amen, unfunny show. amen.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I totally missed that reference.

And I think you mean "Not as funny as Family Guy but still has its moments show". right? Sad
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read any of this thread, but having missed the first few episodes of Lost before realizing that everyone thinks it's the shit, I waited until the DVD of season one came out before catching up.

Midway through season one right now, and I'm hooked. But the flashbacks shit me.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flashbacks in Season 1 were pretty good, for the most part (Claire's and Charlie's sucked, but I loved Locke's, Sun & Jin's, Jack's, and Sawyer's).

This season, though, they've been pretty fucking superfluous so far.

Like I said - back to the meat and potatoes. Give us more of the MYSTERY!
Paulapalooza
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: fwashbacks Reply with quote

Ah, the great debate about the flashbacks.

Obviously, they're not THAT extraneous because the audience keeps coming back for more rather than abandoning the show because the conceit has worn thin. A very smart thing the showrunners have done is make the show, in effect, a character study workshop overlaid with a mystery. That way, they can sell it as a character drama instead of what it actually is, sci-fi drama.

When handled well, I have absolutely no problem with the flashbacks. Some are rather worthless, some add nice shading to survivors, and some genuinely blow your socks off, and here precisely I think of any episode focusing on Terry O'Quinn's John Locke. As well as I think the show is cast and as many characters as I enjoy, I still often refer to LOST as "The Terry O'Quinn Show."

P.

-THE DUDE
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's why I'm not digging the flashbacks - cos I dig the scifi aspect a lot more than the soap opera character blah.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
I guess that's why I'm not digging the flashbacks - cos I dig the scifi aspect a lot more than the soap opera character blah.

if you ask me, the only place you're going to find real clues to any of the scifi stuff is in the flashbacks. it's not exactly great drama if rousseau sits everyone down and gives a succinct, exact summary of the magic numbers broadcasting system and its history. it is better drama to see that history unfold as it touched the lives of hurley and potential others.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still often refer to LOST as "The Terry O'Quinn Show."

here here. Terry O'Quinn has been fucking PHENOMENAL in this show. Everyone else pulls their weight too, but he's been fantastic. Locke is my favorite character by far (though Sawyer is a close second)

I wonder if he and Mr. Eko are going to end up butting heads. That's a throwdown I'd like to see - those are two big mofos!
Paulapalooza
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with my future ex-girlfriend Rose. Our impatience with the show, in my mind, shows that the central engine that drives the show is not broken. We want answers NOW, as people are wont to do, but the journey is just as vital as the end result. The flashbacks help invest us in the survivors, and when things happen to them those events have resonance. Doesn't always work, but it's a good framework to play with. The producers are pretty much guaranteed of a 5-6 year run at this point, and if they shoot their load in a season or two they'll have nothing left for the long haul. This will result in a certain amount of padding, as we saw in the middle of season one, but hopefully Lindelof, etc. have a handle on it now.

I also dig Sawyer, partially because we share hometowns. But has anyone noticed how inept he really is? Just about anything he attempts ends up screwed up or injuring him either physically or psychologically. Either the geek producers enjoying goofing on the ex-model Josh Holloway or this is "the lesson he must learn."

P.

-THE DUDE
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend described Sawyer as the show's "hooker with a heart of gold", and I think that's kind of fitting. He's kind of an asshole, His life's a mess, and nearly everything he does seems to go wrong, but when the shit hits the fan, his actions (or at least his intentions) are noble.

I just like him because he's such an unrepentant smart-ass. Kinda like me. Very Happy

(now I just wish I had his looks Confused )
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, everyone,

Happy Hatch Day! Very Happy
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulapalooza wrote:
Doesn't always work, but it's a good framework to play with. The producers are pretty much guaranteed of a 5-6 year run at this point, and if they shoot their load in a season or two they'll have nothing left for the long haul.

see: Desperate Housewives

(how is that show still in the #2 spot? who is still watching? feh.)

Yay LOST day! whee hooo!
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot wait for this. I don't mind the flashbacks so much, a little character work isn't something to be frowned upon in a sea of network shit and thus far I've found everyone pretty compelling, particularly Hurley and of course, good ol' Locke- I am already horrified to see what is sure to be a terrible end for Katey Sagal's character, and find the pre-wheelchair Locke a pitiable, fascinating, heart wrenching being.

But yes, last episode's blue-balling by telling the story of Jin and his wife meeting right in the middle of all that delicious, palpable tension... Man i was getting muy frustrated- I reached my flashback tolerance threshold there- and then to go without for three. weeks.

Christ, I had to sit through Aquaman and Vampire episodes of Smallville.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Lost. The flashbacks suck. Pre-wheelchair Locke is my least favorite character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your loss then, Laura. Wink
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...what'd y'all think?

I wasn't really surprised at who bit it, but I was kind of suprised at how it happened. Lots of setups for the rest of the season, too.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan_A wrote:
So...what'd y'all think?

I wasn't really surprised at who bit it, but I was kind of suprised at how it happened. Lots of setups for the rest of the season, too.

Meh. Least impressive episode so far this season, very predictable ending. (Although the whole "somebody's gonna die soon!!!" hype ruined the show for me - even if I avoided every spoiler in the world, the fact that it made the covers of magazines made me know something was going to happen, and the anticipation turned the episode into a bland waiting game.)

William Goss wrote:
Still, LOST needs to get a move on.

I've been defending this season as being more exciting/less sluggish than many have claimed. But yeah, this week? Drag City. (And not the Uncle Miltie kind.)

Dave
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno Dave, I thought it maintained some good tension, and the ol' "she's there in one frame, gone the next" trick still had some horror to it. I didn't even mind the flashbacks as they paced them away from the jungle trek. There's a lot of shows that have begun to drag and lose their shine (Smallville, Supernatural)- I'm still chalking Lost up in the win category.

And who here was disappointed enough to skip next week's "Tale of the Tail End?" At least they have calmed my fears that they were going to take a whole season to tell that story.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: