Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xbox 360
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Xbox 360 Reply with quote

I'm not gonna go into all the hype, because it's everywhere right now (even TIME is running five articles about in on their site). But does anyone else think that this thing is gonna be the absolute SHIZZ-NIT?

Call me a whore for Micro$uck, but I am so sold. 2006 is gonna be a GREAT fucking year for gamers.
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed too. I liked how they decided to keep the hard drive instead of that nasty flash memory rumor I heard. Also, I heard that there was going to be some backward compatibility. I'll wait until I see the release line-up before I decide on whether or not I'll buy it when it comes out though.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the backward compatability being limited kinda sucks, but then, I only have the Halo and Ghost Recon games, and you know those will be on the list.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

less than two weeks now, bitches!

I can't wait to fire up Condemned.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than a week away now. Microsoft is claiming shortages across the board on the first shipment. Gamestop is calling people to tell them they're not high enough on the preorder list to pick theirs up on the 22nd. Meanwhile, rumors abound that the shortages are faked to create a false sense of demand (and who wouldn't put that past the marketing evil geniuses at MS?).

As badly as I want to pick one up, I'm really hoping they didn't cut serious corners in their rush to make launch date. The whole 360 production phase seemed a bit rushed, and I would be pissed to bring one home, only to send it back as part of a massive recall a month later because their shit wasn't up to spec. Don't fuck us on this one, Microsoft!

y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone manage to get their hands on one yet? closest I've been is playing the demo at gamestop.

I'm really irritated by all these shortages. But no, MS had to do a GLOBAL launch, only WHOOPS, we don't have enough consoles built yet. Stupid. Hey, next time, if you're going to do a GLOBAL launch, make sure you have enough fucking consoles to go around first.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banned Xbox 360 commercial

Funny. Too bad this one never aired - a lot better than the water baloons.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was BANNED? Why, pray tell?

Oh, right. Guns.

Yeah, you never see those on TV these days, huh?
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked that one so much more than the jump-rope and water balloon shit.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, me too. Now if I can just fucking GET one Crying or Very sad
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying into it. I don't adopt new technology all that quickly, and actually, I have no interest in giving MS any more $ than they already have. The og XBOX was the shoddiest of the 3 game platforms, if I had a dollar for every pal of mine that's had a problem with theirs...I could buy a 360. ha.
Apparently there's been several cases of defective 360's too.

As far as artificial shortages...well, every company does it. I remember when the PS2 came out, people were saying the same thing about Sony. It always generates more hype, which generates sales. Social engineering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Grinch wrote:
I'm not buying into it. I don't adopt new technology all that quickly, and actually, I have no interest in giving MS any more $ than they already have. The og XBOX was the shoddiest of the 3 game platforms, if I had a dollar for every pal of mine that's had a problem with theirs...I could buy a 360. ha.
Apparently there's been several cases of defective 360's too.

As far as artificial shortages...well, every company does it. I remember when the PS2 came out, people were saying the same thing about Sony. It always generates more hype, which generates sales. Social engineering.

Disagree that the old xbox was the shoddiest of the three platforms. It was a brick, but it was solidly built and had much better hardware and networking capabilities than its Japanese counterparts. I had mine for 4 years, played games and DVD movies to death on it, and the only problem I had was that the disc drive went bad, which MS replaced.

The rest of what you said - kinda agree with you. Lord knows, MS doesn't need any more of my money.

But I still want one
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, is it really going to be THAT much better than the old one to warrant the cost?

Wait a couple of weeks and I bet you find unwanted gifts on eBay going for half price.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And like all MS products, I hear this one can't stop crashing.

-M

-V
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
And like all MS products, I hear this one can't stop crashing.

-M

You, sir, are correct... Which is why you never buy a new game platform within the first 6 months.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering I still have a long list of games to play on the regular X-Box (hell, I'm not even done with Fantastic Four or Predator: Concrete Jungle yet, and have Hulk Ultimate Destruction, From Russia with Love, X-Men Legends 2, King Kong, etc. waiting), few of these titles will be backwardly compatible, AND the expense and repeated reporting of the unreliability of 360, I just don't see any reason to drain my finances any further with this, particularly since it doesn't even have Halo 3 to offer yet.

I'm gonna hold off until I hear about Halo 3- I think between now and then the prices will come down considerably, I can buy one refurbished on the cheap (like I did with my current one, which works fine), or, I will buy the inevitable Halo styled version which will be offered with the launch of the game (I mean really, does anyone doubt that's what's going to happen?).

To get one now, especially when I get so much enjoyment out of my current X-box, just doesn't seem worth it. And I'm not pissing on anyone who elects to get one now, I just get frustrated with how quickly things like this pass into obsolescence, particularly when the current X-box offers a nice library of games with tons of replay value (I still hit Crimson Skies about once a week), and its not so goddam expensive a luxury item. I mean I have a new dishwasher to pay for here, I gotta prioritize.

And hell, Half Life 2 is now offered on X-Box- I'm itching to play and see what all the fuss is about (of course, I wouldn't mind playing Half Life 1 either, but no way will my wife let me use her laptop for that, she's still busy designing the perfect Sea World).
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you have a point. May be best to wait. I don't have that many games left in the xbox library that I want to play though, so I'd like to get one sooner then later (after the holidays, but before the Halo 3 launch). I want to wait and hear more about how widespread this crashing is. So far, the two people I've talked to personally who have them haven't had any problems, so I'm curious to see how much of the "crashing" is legitimate issues, and how much is just negative hype from Sony/Nintendo/Anti-MS fanboys.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKay, if like me, your sole purpose in the video game world is to get your hands on Halo 3, than my strategy is to get the 360 after this release fervor has died down, but about a month into the first rumors of the Halo 3 launch- by then, not only will prices have come down on the 360, but bugs will have been worked out and the game library will be built up enough that you will probably also be able to get many games on the cheap via ebay or used in shops. I just don't see any need for "first kid on the block" syndrome at this point- the system hasn't proven itself yet, and doesn't even offer the defining reason for its existence- Halo 3.

And before the Anti-Halo'ers hit me with how inferior or derivative it is of other games (and yes I have played and love the N64 Goldeneye) well, save your breath- I'm a Halo guy- it ain't gonna change. I liked Halo 2 and consider its hanging ending every bit a cinematic tactic as if it was Empire Strikes... ok, maybe not Empire, but definitely Back to the Future part 2 - a bridge between introduction and conclusion, and a very competent one at that. Better than most movie sequels. Although I will confess to replaying the game soley to figure out which infantry are voiced by Michelle Rodriguez and David Cross so I can shoot them in the knees and head- fyi, they are on the bridge in the first tank sequence. For those of you as sick of the pouty, one-facial expression bitch as I am, and the unfunny slow hipster guru- hunting season is officially on.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've decided I want to get an HDTV as well - if I'm going to do this, I may as well do it right. Why buy and expensive new gaming machine only to play it on a 15 year old TV?

I'm looking at Jan-Feb, hopefully. By then we should know if there really are any major problems with it.

Meanwhile, more shipments expected in this week. MS claiming that defective units are well below the 3-5% failure rate expected on a new product rollout.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051129/tc_usatoday/xboxdoessecondroundof360s
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Buy an X-Box 360 today! Now with only a 1 in 20 chance that you'll have to return it for repairs as soon as you open the box!!"
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, I would doubt the odds are that high. I really don't see an indication that this is a widespread problem so far. For every handful of people on a 360 forum who report problems, you'll find just as many or more saying they've had none, and about ten times as many MS haters or Sony Fanboys screaming "See, some 360's have had problems, so they must ALL be pieces of shit" A little early to make that determination.

Now, if xmas rolls around and we're still hearing reports on rampant crashing, then I'll concede that MS probably rushed things and screwed the pooch.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what they consider to be 'well below' the expected 5% failure rate.

Because 5% = 1 in 20.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, but still, some production line flaws on a new product launch, especially one this ambitous (too ambitious I say - North America first!!) are to be expected.

But if the problems stem from an actual design flaw, then they could be in a deep pile of shit. If they have to do a recall, they won't turn a profit on the 360's until NEXT Christmas.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I hear, they lose about a hundred bucks on every unit.

Buying market share.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. its the games that make the money -

But that won't happen if they have to do a recall because people won't be buying either for a while.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: