Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connections between American Graffiti and Dazed & Confus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Connections between American Graffiti and Dazed & Confus Reply with quote

1. The 'theme' - AG: Last night together before friends leave for college, war, career, etc. DC: Last day (and night) of high school.

2. The music - AG: A truly wonderful collection of 50's doo-wop from Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Del Shannon, The Silhouettes, and a whole lot more. DC: So many fantastic 70's tunes that they had to stretch it over two soundtracks: Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Bob Dylan, Nazareth, Foghat, Black Sabbath, etc., etc. (Regardless of which music style you prefer, odds are you'll love ALL the music from these two movies.)

3. The casts - One of the more interesting connections between the two movies is that they both helped to launch a LOT of careers. AG: Richard Dreyfus, Ron Howard, Harrison Ford, Charles Martin Smith, Bo Hopkins, Cindy Williams, Mackenzie Philips, Paul Le Mat, Candy Clark, Suzanne Somers. DC: Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich, Parker Posey, Joey Lauren Adams, Matthew McConaughey, Adam Goldberg, Nicky Katt, Anthony Rapp, Rory Cochrane, Cole Hauser, Jason London, Michelle Burke, Wiley Wiggins.

4. The directors - Lucas would go on to direct some fairly popular space flicks, Linklater continues to offer (generally) damn good work. This connection may be a stretch, but there are lots of good movies with young directors who quickly vanish from Hollywood.

5. The copycats - AG: The Lords of Flatbush DC: The Stoned Age - Both pretty funny movies; neither come close to their inspirations.

6. The TV Shows - AG: Happy Days DC: That 70's Show (OK, that second one may be a stretch, but I sense it a little.)

Discuss.
Mrs. Norman Maine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would venture that there is a third film that should be added into the comparison, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Again, another look at young people, another ensemble cast that launched multiple careers (Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Eric Stoltz, Nicolas Cage, Anthony Edwards, Phoebe Cates)and another hip director who embodied a generation.

MNM
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckerling did define another generation with the classic opus Clueless.

Is this the place to vent my UTTER Hatred of Dazed & Confused?

-M is for
mince
no
words about it
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carina = Crackhead

Smile
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Seriously.

I want my two hours back.

I want the 35 minutes it took to go to the video store, select this ridiculous "movie" and to pay for it.

I want the gas and the mileage back.

Other then that this film features a lot of people that would later make their mark, I see NOTHING redeeming in watching this tripe. To compare this movie to American Graffiti is like making an analogy between Goodfellas and Too Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar.

This is a ridiculously stupid movie. Its excuse of the final days of high school is forced, simplistic and condescending . Most people who watched it and liked it have argued (if you can indeed pose this statement as an argument) "Duuuude, that was TOOoootally my high school."

How Sad.
No really, how clinically depressing.
I assume they mean by the inanity protrayed and the....ok THATS IT.
I don't even want to analyze this movie anymore.

I want the time I took to write this rebuttal BACK dammit.

--M
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare Gladiator with Braveheart and The Patriot.

Lots of similarities there.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
I want the time I took to write this rebuttal BACK dammit.

I heart Maegs.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: