Two things are a constant in this world: Death and Taxes. And taking on the role of Death is Brad Pitt. A far stretch from the classic Grim Reaper, mind you, but I think he pulls it off with style, and manages to make you feel for a character thats duty is to take away the souls of people.The film opens with William Parrish (Hopkins) having a mild heart attack (or at least it seems like cardiac arrest). We hear a voice, and the voice starts to haunt him, follow him. We learn that this is the voice of Death.
Parrish's hot daughter, Susan (Forlani), is dating a young man who is going to be the heir to her father's empire, a marvelously wealthy company that deals in news. Enter Pitt... sort of. Pitt plays a nice fellow in a coffee shop who meeting with Susan (who is a Doctor) about seeing her as a patient. They get to talking, and decide they like each other. As they part we see one of the most disturbing things I've seen in awhile, which is Pitt's character getting by some cars. It was troubing to watch due to it's sheer violence.
Enter Pitt... again. We learn that Death claimed the life of the young coffee shop man because he needed a body. Death decided that William Parrish would be his tour guide, so that he could learn a little about the living world. In return Parrish gets time added to his life, so that he could take care of his affairs and settle things with his family.
A touching story of a man coming to grips with his looming demise, and setting right the facets of his life which have been wronged one way or another.
Susan and the man set to take over Parrish's corporation part ways, and that's where the relatively cheesy love story comes in (as well as a corporate espionage subplot). It's not THAT bad, but it's definately one that would be better if you were watching it with your significant other. It's very unoriginal. The idea of Death falling in love is an interesting one, but the way they did it, it just comes off as a blatent attempt at tears. The ending is sweet, although is very influenced by dairy products, especially those of the CHEESE variety.I enjoyed about 85% of this film, the other 15% was overlookable. And the editing (the shots, not for time, obviously, as the film clocks in at 178 minutes) was awesome. The first encounter between Pitt and Hopkins, the editing is so tight. Rent it with your better half.