Worth A Look: 9.24%
Just Average: 21.01%
Pretty Crappy: 17.65%
7 reviews, 77 user ratings
The Core is a stupid, dumb-ass film, not necessarily because of the whole scientific crap that half the audience won’t understand, but because the story of the movie has been done so many times, been played out so many times, and altered so many times that trying to make a review of this is like going through an exercise in masochism. Lets just simply say in one word that it SUCKS! Just SUCKS!Quick overview. Earth’s core stops rotating due to the fact that the government has been developing a weapon to cause earthquakes hence why it is susceptible to electromagnetic discharge storms due to the sun’s radiation which have caused several catastrophes everywhere in the world, and the only way the Earth can be saved from this is by jump starting the earth’s core. Interesting subject, a bit far-fetched but this is a summer movie so a bit of suspension of disbelief is welcome, until the formula machine jumps into overdrive with the following series of clichés
"For a movie about going into the deep, this one is horribly superficial"
1. The government being responsible for nature’s recent breakdown
2. The required famous known landmarks blown to hell (Roman Coliseums, The Golden Gate, etc)
3. The main character Dr. Josh Keyes (Aaron Eckhart) whom has the unfortunate task of discovering the problem and finding a solution
4. NASA’s incompetence to cope with the problem and then relying on some scientific junkie Dr. Brazelton (Delroy Lindo) whom happens to be black, and his untested design of a machine that can dig deep into the earth’s core (Armageddon anyone?)
5. The equally brilliant but arrogant counterpart of Keyes: Dr. Zimsky (Stanley Tucci looking like a younger version of James Cromwell, I’m serious!)
6. The French guy, Sergey Leveque (Tcheky Karyo) whose the weapons expert and ultimately has to die so it can satisfy our hate for the French these days.
7. Your typical hard-ass commander, Col. Iverson (Bruce Greenwood)
8. And your not so typical hard-ass pilot, whom happens to be a woman, Rebecca “Beck” Childs (Hillary Swank)
9. The “you’re our only hope” line
10. Whenever the gopher machine encounters a problem, someone ALWAYS has to be sacrificed in order for the mission to go on.
11. The “why wasn’t I told about this?” line
12. The “because you didn’t need to know” line
13. The computer geek that has to fuck up the government’s alternate plan so it doesn’t fuck up the original mission.
14. The part where there seems to be no way out, and then suddenly our main man figures a way out even if it’s the most preposterous bullshit imaginable.
15. The ultimate love liaison between Keyes and Beck
16. The emotionally manipulative ending of “remember our heroes”
And not only that, the whole physics of the movie is so atrocious and ultimately absurd that it makes that Bill Nye hack look totally legit. And don’t get me started with the FX since it looks so fake and so outdated it seems that the FX guy totally forgot to update his software equipment from Windows 3.1 to Windows XP; the buildings look so fake and the cars look like the toy cars that they are. Hell, for an FX driven movie, this is just moronic bullshit from their part, and I can’t believe director John Amiel approved this crap, let alone MAKE this movie. I have to admit that I somehow got entertained by this movie despite it’s shortcomings maybe because there was a bit of fast-paced action I enjoyed or because I was amused by how stupid this movie was turning out to be. I won’t even go with the acting, since everyone here is on autopilot.Ultimately, the cliché repeat here is: this movie blows, there are better films out there, save your money. 1-5
link directly to this review at http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/review.php?movie=7383&reviewer=235
originally posted: 05/09/05 16:22:44