Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been searching for this movie poster for ages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: I've been searching for this movie poster for ages Reply with quote

I just had to pop in and talk about my find at the one place where I figured a few folks would empathize with the need to purchase obscure movie posters for home decor. I finally found a cheap, full size reproduction of my favorite poster and bought it immediately. SO happy... I have been searching for this poster for a long, long time- in fact, its one of the reasons I happened onto the HBS site at all during a prolonged internet search...

At last. This is one of my favorite images- says everything about the film in a unique way. Love it. My wife, on the other hand, will be appalled when it shows up and I'll probably have to painfully negotiate some wallspace for it. She still hates the other Werewolf poster I have- a pulp painting done by Frank Frazetta.

But I figured one or two of you guys would appreciate this one- particularly the horror buffs.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about a link to where you got it? Very Happy

when you say "reproduction", do you mean they print you up one from a picture of the original?
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a rabid movie-poster collector. Still have a very-rare poster of Aliens, which was pulled right before its theatrical release. Has Ripley holding Newt in the queen's egg lair. Bought it for $50 back in '87, and I wonder how much the poster is worth today.

Incidentally, it's almost always the rule rather than the exception that foreign movie poster are better than U.S. ones. Ours are so bland, while theirs have a lot more imagination. Turkey, in particular, has some of the best.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2mckay wrote:
How's about a link to where you got it? Very Happy

when you say "reproduction", do you mean they print you up one from a picture of the original?

Its a quality reproduction (no nasty creases or folds) digitally printed on 11 X 17 heavyweight glossy photo paper. Poster is sealed in a clear plastic bag and includes tab for display. Item is shipped flat with cardboard and bubble wrap for protection and mailed in a moisture resistant triple layer polyethylene mailer.

I thought it was a pretty damn clever idea, especially considering how cool some of those old painted posters are that get so damn expensive even before framing- I've literally searched for this particular American Werewolf one for years.

Dude, it was on ebay- every now and then I do random American Werewolf searches and see what turns up. That and Absinthe. I tell you what, I'll send you a link to the guy's store on the pm's rather than a link here- after yelling at these fucktard shills I'd hate to seem like I'm encouraging the practice (even though I'm clearly not)- I'm just really happy to have found this, on my birthday no less, and finally have one to proudly hang in my home. Thanks for the interest guys- to me this is a true treasure find for me, and not many folks would agree except perhaps those with HBS sensibilities.

And yes Jack, the international ones can be so damn creative and just vivid and lush- sometimes, like the above one, they create an image that so thoroughly encapsulates the meaning and purpose of the film without even having a single actor in the shot, its just beautiful. The fact that I can get one for like 14 bucks total with shipping is fucking fantastic.

The guy's got some pretty cool stuff I think. Jack if you want the link I'll pm it to you as well.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me this doesn't make you drool with nostalgia:

Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I own an original of that Laughing
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this one...

http://www.impawards.com/1985/warning_sign.html

...and it proves just how pathetic our posters are. I mean, the title is Warning Sign, so what do they put on the poster? Just a biological warning sign and a few sentences. Ah, genius, I tell ya!
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collected movie posters regularly up until 2000 when I left my last video store job. Still have well over 300 of them, some dating back to 1984. I would go around to all the video stores in the area in the mid'80s and take whatever posters they would give me. I also used to order from a company called Cinema City out of Michigan. I think my most prized poster possession is my 4 set for U2: Rattle and Hum, one poster for each band member.

CS
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, Kand El. Can you PM me the link to that dude's store as well. I'm always in the market for hard to find movie posters.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Ebay, but damn, you can find some nice posters on there.

My favorites are the Thai posters...generally, any of the posters that are handpainted by artists in the region. Check out the Thai poster for 'They Live' sometime, awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dander G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Grinch wrote:
I hate Ebay, but damn, you can find some nice posters on there.

My favorites are the Thai posters...generally, any of the posters that are handpainted by artists in the region. Check out the Thai poster for 'They Live' sometime, awesome!

Please link.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: