Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2006 MLB Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phils Pitcher Bashes Bonds

Yay.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Phils are on a 4-game winning streak, btw, and one game under .500. Tonight we play the Braves and tomorrow Barrrrrreeeeeee comes to town for 3.)
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's something weird. A week ago, I actually predicted that the Phils would sweep a pair of 2-game sets (one against Florida, the other Atlanta), which would bring them back to .500 just in time for the Giants' visit to Philly.

Well they did precisely that. And by beating SF last night, they moved to one game over .500 -- and here's the icing on the cake:

Quote:
After a day off Thursday afternoon in Milwaukee, Bonds was back in the cleanup spot Friday. He heard it from Philadelphia's notoriously harsh fans before every at-bat, though the reception probably wasn't as vicious as many expected. One sign in the stands read "CHEATER" and fans in left field chanted "Just retire! Just retire!"

"I thought it was fine. Nothing wrong with it. The fans create a lot of energy. It helps much more than you might think, and I think it helped our team tonight," Manuel said.

Cameras flashed in the crowd of 37,269 every time Bonds swung. He went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and an intentional walk, staying stuck at 712 homers -- two behind Ruth for second place on baseball's career list. The slugger fanned against reliever Aaron Fultz leading off the eighth.

Bonds' best swing was a hard liner that landed foul down the right-field line. He popped up to shallow center with a runner on first in the first and grounded into a rare 3-5-4 double play against an overshifted infield to end the fifth.

He barely budged from the batter's box on the fly ball, holding onto his bat the whole time until he retreated to the dugout. Bonds hesitated out of the box and jogged slowly on his fifth-inning grounder, allowing the Phillies to turn two. Howard started it with a difficult but accurate throw, and Bonds slammed his helmet down in frustration.

Bonds was intentionally walked with first base open in the third. Alou followed with an RBI single.

"I feel it's very difficult to pitch to him with a base open," Manuel said.

Heheheheeeee.

For the Phils: 2 dingers from Utley, 2 from Howard, and 1 from Rowand. My boys are now on a six-game winning streak, with two more against San Fran -- and they just lost Alou for two weeks. Dude tripped and sprained his ankle.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philly fan getting excited about booing someone and climbing above .500. I guess you take what excitement you can get.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. When did I piss in your fuckin' Cheerios, Seaver?

Fuck you and your damn chowder.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I just find the self-righteous attitudes people are taking toward Bonds kind of repellant. All those fans sneering at him probably have a player or two on their favorite team that is just as guilty that they don't know about (or, if they live in, say, New York, just don't care about). His acheivements don't come in a vacuum; he's hit home runs of juiced pitchers and the record he's chasing can probably be partially attriubuted to the easy availability of amphetemines in every major league clubhouse.

But, hey, enjoy the schadenfreude. Lord knows I giggled maliciously when Derek Jeter got doubled off after overrunning second on Monday.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Bonds even bothered showing up. Didn't he sit out an extra game after getting beaned? I figured he'd turn that into an excuse to sit out the entire road trip, to avoid the booing.

Then again, can't wait to see him come to Cincy - we boo our own players, so we'll be extra rude when Barry steps up.

Dave
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Surprised Bonds even bothered showing up. Didn't he sit out an extra game after getting beaned? I figured he'd turn that into an excuse to sit out the entire road trip, to avoid the booing.

You know, I can't say I've ever gotten the impression that Bonds really gives a damn what people think of him.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'm not at all self-righteous. I fuckin hate Barry Bonds and I have always hated that smug, classless bastard. The fact that he's now a cheater makes it even worse.

And yes, I was a huge HUGE fan of Lenny Dykstra, until I read some things that pretty much proved (to me, anyway) that he was juiced to the eyeballs. He has since been removed from my Phillies Heroes Hall of Fame. Cuz he cheated.

And yeah, the Phils got off to a rough start, but won six in a row to finally break .500. I'm sorry if that seems pathetic to a Red Sox fan. Talk about self-righteous.... I guess one WS win every two centuries gives one a sense of smug superiority. Good to know.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From whiners to smugness - how one World Series can change a city.

The way I look at the whole Bonds thing from a personal stance:

Bonds has been the biggest jerk in the neighborhood ever since you grew up. He may not have lived on the same block, but you went to the same high school. Years go by, you gain perspective but Bonds continues to be an ass. Then this character has the greatest success of his life, so it stings a little bit - maybe even in a "why not me?" kinda way. But then, a few years later, you find out he raped your sister.

And this is coming from a Chicago Cubs fan who at the time of the 1998 season thought I was seeing one of the greatest seasons I had ever witnessed as the home run chase was going on. The night McGwire hit #62 at Wrigley Field, I was watching the game live. Steve Trachsel was pitching. When Sosa came out and hugged him I actually had tears in my eyes.

Those tears have somewhat hardened over the years with everything we've come to find out about this "era". At the time, it wasn't much of a thought. Sure, it was in the moment but McGwire was ALWAYS a major home run hitter. (49 in his rookie season if I'm not mistaken, for god's sake) - so the idea of him hitting over 60 was not all that unfathomable.

Then along comes this cunt Bonds who never hit 40 dingers until he got to the Giants in '93 (when he hit 46.) In the same amount of games just 4 years earlier he hit 19. He hit 40 three more times with the Giants - 42 in '96, 40 in '97 and 49 in 2000 - just one year before the infamous 2001 - where he had something ridiculous like 37 by the All-Star break. Back THEN I was crying foul about this sudden burst of power. What we've found out now is that Bonds likely did more self-enhancing illegal drugs than the weightlifter in the old SNL skit about the All-Drug Olympics who pulled his arms off trying to do a clean-and-jerk. Appropriate considering Bonds is far from clean and most certainly a jerk.

Granted the same could be said of Sosa and his consistency hitting 60 in a year, but even a loyal Cubs fan like myself realizes something could just as easily be amiss during those years. Then again, it could have also just been a corked bat.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the line about celebrating .500 may have been out of line, although I still think you save the crowing for when your guys have done something really exceptional, not reached break-even. But still... If watching sports is bringing out the worst in you, you're getting excited about someone being booed or taking delight in his fall... Well, gads, are you really enjoying it in that case?

(This also applies to celebrities. I really don't get it when someone talks about how much they hate bad actress A or B; they probably haven't done anything worse than annoy you, and even then, you're paying attention to celebrity gossip; you're doing the toxic thing to yourself).

Quote:
But then, a few years later, you find out he raped your sister.

Yeah, that's gaining perspective. Because someone trying hard to win in a way that can only potentially harm himself is like being a violent sexual predator.

I don't know, I'm finding it hard to get terribly worked up about him having used steroids. He's not the first person to cheat, he won't be the last, and in ten or twenty years we could very well look at steroids as the equivalent to Gaylord Perry's spitballs, Bob Gibson pitching from the taller-than-regulation mound his team's owners had the groundskeepers build, or the Tigers not cutting the grass so that their speedy players can leg out more infield hits. It's all stuff we look back fondly on - ah, they were just trying to gain an edge anyway they could. They were competitors.

And I'm kind of OK with Bonds being a jerk. Baseball would be tremendously boring to follow if every player was a Jeter-like cliché-spouter, and I tend to think that the people who create the jerk perception are sportswriters who I've long since thought of as lousy sources.

Again, I don't approve of steroid use, but I don't like the way Bonds has been singled out or how people use him being a jackass as a justification for acting like jackasses themselves much either.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaySeaver wrote:
Quote:
But then, a few years later, you find out he raped your sister.

Yeah, that's gaining perspective. Because someone trying hard to win in a way that can only potentially harm himself is like being a violent sexual predator.

Yeah cause that's the leaps and bounds I was trying to make with my analogy. Whittle it down more to something you love with all your heart - like baseball - being taken advantage of by someone who has made himself stronger by cheating.

And we go after who's on top because that's the way things are done. A lot of politicians have cheated too. That doesn't mean President Bush shouldn't be held accountable.

And, I don't think Scott in any way, was trying to crow about his team making .500 - in that the Phillies are better than anyone else. He's just happy that the team he supports who started off the season struggling has broken even and may be on track to righting the ship.

I take no offense in that. Even as the lowly Cubs have scored 5 runs in their last 7 games.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching the Phillies vs. Giants right now. Here's what I've seen:

1. Bonds hits a fly ball and doesn't even JOG towards first base.

2. Bonds hits into another double play, because he cannot run.

3. David Bell hits an easy single into left field, but gets a double out of it because Bonds has to wander over to get the ball.

All this so a cheater can break someone else's well-earned record.

If that doesn't make you disrespect the guy, and the team he plays for, then I don't know what's in your head.

And I'll explain this one more time, Jay:

I am a huge Phillies fan. Win or lose, good squad or lame, on year or off, 20 games up or 30 games down (yikes), I've always loved this team.

So when a team that this city has some real confidence in gets off to such a mediocre start, I get worried. I'm still enjoying the games, but I see a bunch of losses that really should have been wins. So they win six in a row, crack .500 for the first time this year, and look to be playing with a lot of confidence. Color me psyched.

This is not me "crowing." This is me "happy."

You seem to subscribe to the widely-accepted (and frankly moronic) myth that if one is a Philadelphia sports fan, then one is also a cockhead. That disappoints me. You wanna talk shit about Philly again ... at least wait till the Sox, the Pats, the Bruins, or the Celtics come to town.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phils won again last night, 4-1. They turned four double plays, all different ones, too: 6-4-3 / 6-5-3 / 5-3 / 4-5-6-5. They were fun to watch. Phils have now won seven in a row and close out the SF series tonight with a nationally-televised ESPN game.

Yay.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again.

8 wins in a row.

And yes, we gave up one homer to Bonds. Evil or Very Mad

Regarding the Philadelphia fans "Dodger Stadium was worse than here," Bonds said. "This was light. This was nothing."

Also, the guy who caught the home run ball? A Bonds fan. And the slugger refused to sign the ball for him.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if the Sox and Yankees are already playing four hour games with a million stranded baserunners in May, I hate to think what games in October will be like should they meet then.

Matsui goes out with a nasty looking injury; I don't think the human wrist is supposed to bend that way. Not cool to see at all.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phils lost to the Mets yesterday, snapping their streak at 8 wins.

But then tonight we stole a mega-chintzy 2-0 win after five innings. Thanks, rain!!
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in late:

You wanna know why steroids is worse than spitballs? Because nobody ever died from spitballs. Nor from long grass. Nor from high mounds or short right field fences, or even a cleat to the ankle.

But I've spokent to minor league rookies who will tell you straight out, they took roids in high school and college because they have to compete with a spot with that asshole in San Francisco.

Yeah, my team had roidheads. McGwire, Canseco, Giambi - but you won't find those guys getting cheered if they show up at the Coliseum, because they're all three cocks. They pissed on the fans, pissed on the records, pissed on the history of the game.

Bonds can die in a flaming plane crash for all I care. He's shown nothing but selfish arrogance and low class ethics. he's made every offensive record worthless.

and yeah, he's not alone. Giambi is a cock, but at least he admitted his use and apologized for it. Sosa? May he forever be kept out of the Hall, that muscley foreheaded motherfucker. McGwire can burn.

And I'll take it further - I think there's a warm place in the afterlife for Batflipper Boone, Juan Gone, Raffy the Roider, and even as far back as Brady "40 dingers out of nowhere and never more than 20 after that" Anderson. Caminiti, Sheffield, Schilling, they can all get fucked.

And you wanna know why? You wanna know the real reason all this matters?

Because I watched Cal Ripken break the ironman record and thought it was just about the greatest moment I've ever seen in sports. And now, in hindsight, I reckon Ripken broke the record because he was on the juice.

That's why I'd punch Bonds if I saw him in the street; he made me doubt Cal. And for that, nothing can ever be forgiven.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see Aaron Rowand break his nose catching that ball in center field yesterday? I hope you guys appriciate him over there, that guy will bust his ass for you every single day. We miss him here, but not enough to give Jim Thome back Wink
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that on Extra Innings after the Sox game. Ouch. Not quite as sickening as the Matsui injury, although it makes up for that with blood, but still a pretty nasty day to be in the outfield.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Rowand was becoming a big favorite before that catch. Now he's a hero.

Till his average dips under .260, anyway. Wink
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and it will drop below .260 - he's not the world's greatest hitter, but he'll flash some leather and come up with enough clutch hits to keep the love flowing.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone still hasn't seen Rowand's stunning catch ... click here.

The catch occurs about 0.4 seconds before the kid's nose explodes into a bloody lump.

Oh, and the Phils swept the Reds over the weekend, which makes it 13 wins in the last 14 games. Mets are sweatin' a little. Smile
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
Oh, and the Phils swept the Reds over the weekend

Which reminds me:

Hey Scott! Go fuck yourself.

That is all.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
TheAngryJew wrote:
Oh, and the Phils swept the Reds over the weekend

Which reminds me:

Hey Scott! Go fuck yourself.

That is all.

Not to stir shit up, but just out of curiosity, how was Curt Schilling received when he came back to Philly with the D-Backs? He seems to annoy people everywhere he goes, but he was with the Phillies a long time. I seem to recall Francona not being terribly popular there, either.

I suppose they'd logically be past caring by now, but then, fans are weird.

--sigh-- Man, I wish Mike Lowell could play somewhere in the middle infield. It would make these upcoming interleague series much more comfortable.

(Jay's pipe dream for interleague: Ortiz to first, Youk to third, Lowell to short or Lowell to second, Loretta to short, with the Gonzalez locked away for late inning defense.)

(Heck, replace "Ortiz" with "Choi" in that pipe dream for AL and I'd be happy.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: