Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV Reviews to the database?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: TV Reviews to the database? Reply with quote

Ok, don't think this has been discussed for a while and I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

How do people feel about adding tv reviews to the database? We already have a number of Twilight Zone episodes here, as well as something like The Hamburg Cell, so are tv reviews something we could be adding too?

Maybe if people don't like the idea of adding whole series of sitcoms (like Friends, Frasier, Arrested Development etc, although there's scope to review either on an episode-by-episode basis or by a season overview basis), then how about one-off programmes? Stuff like V or Threads.

I just think it would be kinda cool to have reviews for stuff like 24 or The Shield.

Thoughts? (and no spoilers in this thread please!)
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about this before and we're never gonna do it so fuck you for asking and just shutup and drop it!

JK, inside joke.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I'm not you!

Seriously though, any takers for this idea?
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a helluva lot of coverage if its done ep by ep. I'd certainly be up for perhaps reviews of the series by season- perhaps those that are out on DVD.

Its funny, I was thinking the same thing about Video Games this morning, but is that really "Hollywood" enough? Granted, I do like to shoot Michelle Rodriguez and David Cross in their faces when they show up in Halo 2.
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
Its funny, I was thinking the same thing about Video Games this morning, but is that really "Hollywood" enough?

If it's not yet, it's getting closer and closer. Mainstream actors are doing the voices for the videogame adaptations of their movies or TV shows, and some are taking them on as independent projects - look at the voice cast for True Crime: New York City or the latest Grand Theft Auto game.

Or you could consider how much money the rights to the Halo sold for. Or the mainstream press coverage for E3. Slowly, video games keep inching into the mainstream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Charles Tatum

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"24" somehow got into the film database, and I have reviewed individual "Twilight Zone" episodes along with Chris. Maybe we should keep TV reviews to season DVD reviews on the article pages, there is a whole lot of TV out there!
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So judging by the general lack of response to this thread is this an idea no-one's really interested in, and it should just go away quietly and die?
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested, but I'm kind of wondering how relevant they would be. Reviews of TV seasons would obviously have to be at the end of the season, which leaves a few months between the end of the TV run and the DVD release... plenty of time for people to stop giving a shit. Maybe if they were timed to the DVD releases?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't have a problem with this at all. I started reviewing the Twilight Zone episodes, simply because they're like one-hour films a lot of the time, and star a litany of Hollywood actors.

But I wouldn't suggest we should do episode reviews of everything - that'd be a nightmare. Stick to either shows, or seasons.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
But I wouldn't suggest we should do episode reviews of everything - that'd be a nightmare. Stick to either shows, or seasons.

I think the IMDB's kind of got the right idea with how to do have TV in the database now - entries for episodes, seasons, and series. It would be great to be able to have that sort of grouping functionality here, although it's a potential nightmare on the back-end.

(And not just for TV, either - I'd like to be able to do a review of "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" or "The Timothy Dalton James Bond Movies" as a unit. Sure, we can do features, but they're not searchable with the regular reviews)

And I don't necessarily think anyone should try to do episode reviews of everything they see - just trying to stay on top of movies is killing my reading/other writing time! - but I think there's value in being able to review individual episodes. It's more obvious in the case of Law & Order than 24, but even the most serialized shows are more granular than one might initially suspect (and vice versa).

I'm not sure how we'd aggregate the star ratings. Would an episode review be worth 1/22 a season review when calculating the season rating, or would that skew the season's rating too far toward the most-reviewed episodes? It's something I might like to play with, though, to see if I could come up with a fair accounting system.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Oz, theoretically if I pm'd a request asking for a season/series of something to be added, it could be done?
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be discussed. I'm not sure if it could be done - that would depend upon the discussion.

Regarding episode reviews - if we did do this, I'd suggest you'd be advised to make mention of noteworthy episodes within your season review.

Maybe down the line we could do something more - maybe - but it isn't really the focus of the site. And quite frankly, I don't think you guys could find the time to review enough of them to really do it justice as a section of the site in its own right.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Although the stuff I was considering was going to be relatively stand alone stuff like the two mini-series of V or the BBC's Threads. Very much like films in their own right.

Doing reviews for like, 11 seasons of Frasier or something, wasn't something I was going to pursue.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest the movie page to appear of a whole season. Here's how I would do it:

Example The X Files: Season One

You then start as usual and your first thoughts about the season.

The body of work would then consist of short reviews, concise and to the point of every single episode and with a Final Verdict line in each paragraph.

Then the last two paragraphs you sum up your conclusions and closing sentences.

That's how I've seen several others do it as well, so I think it's a good idea that can work.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: