Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veronica Mars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Veronica Mars Reply with quote

I know a ton of you guys watch this show. I was wondering if any of you had, oh, I don't know, TiVo'd it or taped it, or something. I'd like to watch it, but I'm not about to watch a first season show and not start from the beginning. And I'm not seein' any thing about it coming out on DVD any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - it gets wiped from my TiVo as soon as I watch it. But it was very recently announced that the show has been picked up for a second season, which makes it very likely that some DVDs will hit the shelf before the 2nd season starts next fall. Especially since the ratings are still not where UPN wants them to be, and I imagine they'll do everything they can to gain viewers for that 2nd season.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine get deleted weekly, too. They do recap the important stuff you need to know before new episodes, though. I've missed a couple, which I hate doing, but I can always catch up with the mini-recap. They also have a great website to help new viewers catch up.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oct. 11 everyone

natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad UPN isn't really giving potential new fans the chance to catch the show from episode one on through this summer, especially since season two will have started by the time the DVD set is out, right?
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I watched the pilot and was all set to catch up - then I realized they are playing the episodes out of order. WAY out of order. MORONS!
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik The Movieman wrote:
Yeah I watched the pilot and was all set to catch up - then I realized they are playing the episodes out of order. WAY out of order. MORONS!

Actually, they're being played in order, but some of the early macrostory-light episodes are being skipped so that reruns don't extend into November.
Paulapalooza
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: bandwagon Reply with quote

After managing to avoid VM during its first year, despite the solid reviews and my love of a good mystery, I caught up with the DVD set and am now hoping for rebroadcasts of the first few eps of season 2 so I can TiVO those fuckers.

I love how it's moving away from the hyper self-aware youth of Kevin Williamson and, to a lesser extent, Joss Whedon.

Also, I would totally watch a Keith Mars solo spin-off.

P.

-THE DUDE
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I figured I'd try to get something going, seeing as the season (and potential series?) finale airs tonight. At the very least, people need to watch this to make sure that the kids running the CW know they NEED to include this in the new lineup. So...

- Who's responisble for the bus crash?
- What will be Duncan's returning role?
- How much will Keith get to hurt Woody?
- How screwed is Logan, now that Daddy Echolls has been acquitted?
- Will Veronica get the scholarship? Or is she (clearly) going to miss out and end up at Hearst with Wallace (and probably Logan and Mac), and within shouting distance of Keith?

My brother sucked me into this show in a very ridiculous fashion (all of season 1 within about 40 hours time), and now I love it. It'd be a huge shame to see it die.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.

That was what you call some high-quality television.

Next time some Lost or X-Files fan tells you that the journey is more important than the destination, show 'em Veronica Mars. Two years, two examples of just how fantastic endings can be when done right.

Didn't see it coming, but man, it all fits.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really fits! Plus, I loved the little CW wink.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which was just total serendipity, because there's obviously no way they could have been thinking that when they introduced Clarence Wiedman last year. Just shows how on-the-ball these guys are.

Would it have been beach weather in Australia, though? If it's June here, isn't it the start of winter there?
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was awesome. They dropped three or four "holy shit" moments in a row, with no warning, and then they showed how they made perfect sense when they were pieced together. And that little scumbag... grrrrr...

JaySeaver wrote:
Would it have been beach weather in Australia, though? If it's June here, isn't it the start of winter there?

According to weather.com, Perth, Australia is supposed to hit 80 today. So might be hitting the end of beach season, but still beach season nonetheless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the answers they had for everything, but I'm not sure I went along with how it was presented. Particularly, I just don't see Beaver, with his baby face and skinny chest and doormat personality, as being this stone-cold killer. And the scene on the roof where he unveils his psychopathy failed to convince me. I think the actor just couldn't pull it off.

And why make him Veronica's rapist? That whole issue was settled: She wasn't raped at all; she had sex with Duncan, remember? That "mystery" didn't need any further resolution, and making Beaver the rapist was just piling on. What else? Did he drive Veronica's mother to alcoholism, too? Maybe HE killed Lily Kane? Come on.

It was a very elaborate season's worth of mysteries, and I admire that they had it all planned out from the beginning. But I was little underwhelmed with how it all turned out. Oh well.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that they said he raped Veronica. It did its part, I suppose - it established that he didn't just jump to multiple murder, but had done creepy, nasty things before. Still, I'd liked how "A Trip to the Dentist" had been a hammer to Veronica's self-centeredness: It wasn't about her, and wasn't even an attack on her; it was just something awful that happened with two judgment-impaired people. I guess it's still not about her, but it's not a situation where there isn't a villain anymore.

I did think Kyle Gallner rocked that scene on the roof. The contrast of him crying as he ran the bus off the road and just having no remorse by the time he was blowing up the plane showed how he was a guy where getting away with murder is emboldening, even why he's still a kid worried about approval. Which kind of fits in with the rape bit - if he hadn't gotten away with raping Veronica, does he have the stones to send a bus full of kids off the road? Probably not.

So, what's set up for next year? Supposedly they're working on the premise of three uinterrupted storylines - eight episodes September to November, seven January to March, seven more April to May. I imagine two will be the mystery box and the unresolved rape from the campus visit. Jackie, Duncan and Cassidy come out of the opening credits; supposedly Lamb and Mac will be replacing them. Michael Cera's also in talks for an arc, and I gather they want Alia Shawkat to come back too.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been re-watching season one and marvelling again at how great the writing is on this show. I get why Joss Whedon jumped on the Rob Thomas bandwagon, because finally he had a kindred spirit approaching his league. I love it with nearly the same fervor with which I would talk about Firefly, for example.
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mseaver wrote:

My brother sucked me into this show in a very ridiculous fashion (all of season 1 within about 40 hours time), and now I love it. It'd be a huge shame to see it die.

That's what Ben and I did. It was awesome.

I thought both seasons hinging on Beaver was overkill, though.

That was one of the great things about season one, too. There were so many different people doing different things. The Kanes covered up Lilly's murder because they thought Duncan did it when reality Aaron did it. But this season, EVERYTHING happened because of Beaver.

I'm thinking the reason they made Beaver Veronica's rapist was for when she attends Hearst next year. Obviously she's going to investigate the rapist there, so now she's going to have a "personal stake" in it. Seriously? Tired of the sexual assualt angles.

But, oh how I loved the first season.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
froggit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen a few episodes of Veronica Mars. I just can't get over how pretty Kristen (Veronica) looks.

Edited: No seriously, stop posting links to shit no one cares about.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a late comer to the whole Veronica Mars thing. Did the whole Season One on DVD and then I've been watching the reruns of Season Two all summer. Lucky me that the Season Two DVDs came out this week, so I got to Netflix the last two discs and watch the last four episodes.

I gotta admit - the ending was a shocker. And I give props to Snider as I remember back when we were covering CineVegas - Kyle Gallner had a movie there and after Snider had seen him he was recounting the tale and basically asked if I knew who he was and if I watched Veronica Mars. He could have EASILY let slip - "yeah Kyle, the dude from Veronica Mars who killed everyone last season." So mucho props on not being the spoiler.

And it seems pretty clear that they knew what they were doing all along with Beaver. They probably added the rape angle as an afterthought, but it did fit into Beaver's sexual issues throughout the season due to the molestation. Much more consistent than the first season which felt they came up with the Harry Hamlin guilt in the final stretch. Just what do the writers have against stars from the 80s? Who's next? Robert Hays as a schizophrenic assassin?

They really did pack a lot into that final episode though - although I hate it when the villain gets suicide as an out and the plane conveniently in view for them to see was a bit ridiculous (especially since I don't think anyone watching believed Keith was on it.) I actually preferred the smackdown dragout of Keith and Aaron. THAT was a great season finale. This one was a great wrapup, but I didn't feel quite as much as I did for the obvious love Keith has for his daughter (literally going through fire to save her in season one.)

And yes, Kristen Bell, really is that cute in person.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: