Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Shows: Fall '06

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: New Shows: Fall '06 Reply with quote

NBC

http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/index.shtml

Looks good: Heroes, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Jury's still out: 30 Rock, Friday Night Lights, Kidnapped

Looks weak: Twenty Good Years (I do love Lithgow and Tambor, but the gags in the trailer are WEAK.)

Anyone else wanna do ABC and CBS? Wink I know Ray Liotta has a new show somewhere...
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you Netflix Studio 60 and Kidnapped, Scott? I don't know if I can give Kidnapped the time committment that it'll probably need, but I like the cast and premise.

The only thing I didn't like about Studio 60 is I don't know if I can buy Amanda Peet as a network head. But Perry and Whitford worked for me, and the Sorkin dialogue didn't hurt, either.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Studio 60, I kept thinking "wow, the old West Wing is back." That Sorkin vibe is something special. Loved it.

30 Rock: Promos are heeeelarious.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundays:
ABC-
Brothers & Sisters - Drama? Comedy? My alternative is Without a Trace (whatever) Sunday Night Football (not unless the Eagles.) Looks like I'll be sticking of network with PBS Mystery!/Masterpiece Theater combo at a similar hour.

CW-
The Game Looks like a take-off on BBC's Footballer's Wives as done by Kelsey Grammer.

Thoughts on Amazing Race making the big move to 8/7c, opposite ExM:Home Edition?

Monday:
CBS - The Class, following How I Met Your Mother, this show has a chance to score big. It looks intriguing.

NBC -
Heroes Jess is back and he can fly, take THAT Frots.
Studio 60 - Very excited about this one. I never got into West Wing, so I consider this my Sorkin redemption.

FOX
Vanished (Meh, I don't have the time to invest in this.)

CW
Runaway There's a Wahlberg involved.

Tuesday:
ABC:
Knights of Prosperity - I like the premise of the show, if it can overcome a somewhat handicapping title. It's Donal Logue--come on!
Help Me Help You - Ted Danson. Again.
Fox:
Standoff - I like Ron Livingston, you like Ron Livingston, but I'm not so sure about this one.
CBS:
Smith - I've heard that despite the star quality (Liotta, Amy Smart, Virginia Madsen) the execution stinks. I'm willing to give it a shot because my alternatives are SVU and Boston Legal.
NBC:
Friday Night Lights - While I might be nominally interested, I'm never going to pick it when it comes to....

Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars - finally, a pairing that makes sense. IMNSHO, the rest of the night gives it up to these two.

Wednesday:
ABC:
The Nine
CBS:
Jericho Meh.
NBC:
30 Rock
20 Good Years
Kidnapped

Althought Tambor and Lithegow sounds like comedy heaven to me, the buzz is that 20 Good is poorly written. I'm a little sad about the potential since the show will be written off by a generalizing industry as people unwilling to watch mature performers. Nothing could be further for me, however, it has to be WORTH watching no matter who is actually appearing in the show.

Fox:
Justice

NBC is really making a play for Wednesday nights, trying to take on ABC's comedy night. CBS is skewing older for the night with procedurals and The CW is going young and hip with ANTM with One Tree Hill. The Fox pairing of Bones with Justice makes sense--if we can swallow a more glib Victor Garber.

Thursday:
Hot damn, what did they do to Thursday!?
ABC:
Ugly Betty - I'm very, very curious. America Ferrara is freaking adorable.
Six Degrees - could be ok, haven't heard much. ABC is going crazy sticking Grey's at 9/8, sandwiching the two new series with a grabber.
NBC:
The Black Donnellys won't premiere until the New Year in ER's spot.

Frankly, I'm surprised by the decisions to move Deal or No Deal, a totally family friendly show, to the 9/8 spot while moving BACK Earl and The Office to 8/7. It smacks at a bid to the 80s/90s glory days of NBC comedy, but I don't think it's a good idea. Putting Earl & The Office against Grey's is a better idea--a more masculine skewing counterpoint to Grey's. Time will tell, but I think the juggle was stupid. It also looks like I'll need a DVR to deal with Thursdays.

Fox:
Til Death - the newest Honeymooners rip-off. How much mileage have they got? What say ye?
Happy Hour - Ugly Betty, The Office, Survivor, Smallville. This sitcom has NO chance.

Friday:
ABC - Men in Trees.
Fox - Wedding Album (New Year.)
Once again the networks decide that Friday night is a graveyard and premiere almost nothing new or interesting. Probably a good move to adjust Ugly Betty to Thursdays.

-V
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars - finally, a pairing that makes sense.

I'll admit that from a business (and fan-based) sense, this pairing is genius and should work well for the new network.

But from a Dave sense? It's a glimpse into my personal hell.

Dave
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
Sundays:
Thoughts on Amazing Race making the big move to 8/7c, opposite ExM:Home Edition?

Is Extreme Makeover: Home Edition some kind of juggernaut? I figured it for having a good cost:ratings ratio, as opposed to a bona fide hit. Seriously, if The Amazing Race can't win the slot it always should have had with football and 60 Minutes leading in, it probably doesn't deserve an 11th race.

Quote:
Monday:
Studio 60 - Very excited about this one. I never got into West Wing, so I consider this my Sorkin redemption.

I never watched The West Wing either; I think that at first, I figured a half-hour of Sorkin dialogue a week was just enough, and then never made the jump after Sports Night ended. I'm excited, though - one heck of a cast on this.

Quote:
Tuesday:
Knights of Prosperity - I like the premise of the show, if it can overcome a somewhat handicapping title. It's Donal Logue--come on!

And it had a good title. A fun title, which described what the show was about and stood out from the crowd. I would be interested in Let's Rob Mick Jagger; I don't know about this generic thing.

Quote:
Standoff - I like Ron Livingston, you like Ron Livingston, but I'm not so sure about this one.

Whoa... People like Ron Livingston? Seriously? Why? He's among the blandest actors working today, and no amount of Gina Torres is going to get me to watch a show with him in the lead.

Quote:
Smith - I've heard that despite the star quality (Liotta, Amy Smart, Virginia Madsen) the execution stinks.

Ooh, so not what I want to hear.

Quote:
Thursday:

Ya missed Shark, starring James Woods and Jeri Ryan with a pilot directed by Spike freakin' Lee.

Quote:
ABC is going crazy sticking Grey's at 9/8, sandwiching the two new series with a grabber.

It makes some sense - Thursday 9pm is probably the most valuable piece of real estate on the prime time schedule, and Grey's Anatomy is probably their most popular show.
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'll be watching... err... putting on the DVR to be watched sometime in the hopefully-not-so-distant future...

Mondays:
8 PM - Prison Break - Jay sucked me into this one with the premiere last week. I'm hooked.
9 PM - Heroes - Looks like an awful lot of fun, but come September, it gets bumped to second place behind the Jack Bauer Power Hour!
10 PM - Studio 60 - I got the premiere off Netflix. Definitely going to be fun. Perry and Whitford are gonna nail this. Sorkin's stuff isn't quite as perfect as he was on Sports Night, and I never got into that other show, so hopefully it'll pick up a little.

Tuesdays:
8 PM - Nada. Maybe I'll actually get some homework done. (Probably to be filled by stuff I didn't get to the week before, no doubt)
9 PM - Veronica Mars - Oh yes. I love me some Kristen Bell. House gets the DVR treatment, and the spots in between VM's short spurts.
10 PM - Smith - I figure, Ray Liotta gets 2 or 3 episodes to sell me.

Wednesdays:
8PM - 20 Good Years/30 Rock - Jeffrey Tambor bludgeoning John Lithgow would make a great premiere. Just sayin'. And Tina Fey gets a shot as well. If I can catch up on previous seasons, Bones might get a look too.
9 PM - Yeah. Nuthin.
10 PM - Kidnapped gets another shot - the premiere was underwhelming, but I really liked Jeremy Sisto, so if he can hook me, I'll stay.

Thursdays:
8 PM: Though I've heard interesting things about Ugly Betty, nothing here grabs me.
9 PM: Meh. Maybe I'll try Grey's Anatomy again. Maybe
10 PM: Shark gets a few episodes. I like James Woods

Fridays:
... are a giant hole, apparently.

Saturdays:
I won't be around on Saturday nights anyway, so it doesn't matter that there's not shit on.

Sundays:
The only thing I really care about is The Amazing Race.

So that's what I'd like to watch. The chances of all of those hanging on are not good. Veronica Mars, House and Prison Break will definitely survive, and I've got good vibes for Studio 60. Once 24 comes back, it's all over...

By the way, handy-dandy breakdowns all over the place, but I specifically used the Metacritic one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
Jericho Meh.

Ya know, I'm really, really hoping this won't suck like it looks like it will. I'm a huge fan of apocalypse storytelling, so the premise just sounds incredible. Please, please, please don't let this one blow.

Dave
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the NBC SHILLS have started showing up on the site, maybe I don't want to watch ANY of their new shows.

-V
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
Now that the NBC SHILLS have started showing up on the site, maybe I don't want to watch ANY of their new shows.

it's not a surprise, since they're part of universal now. universal was the biggest culprit of the shilling on our site a few years ago. and they're still the worst at it -- doing the posting from their corporate IP addresses. at least some of the other companies have the good sense to use other ISPs... not that we're stupid enough to fall for that, anyway.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time for new shows - too many favorites already coming back. Especially my beloved LOST!
smrtpants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Everything makes more sense now. Reply with quote

Upon scanning your expert thoughts I was surprised at how few of you were fans of 'West Wing'. Even fewer made mention of 'Boston Legal'.

If only for the dialogue 'West Wing' was always worth taking the chance of falling into a valley of depression over being only Canadian; so close and yet so far away.

'Boston Legal' is another favorite on account of being another clever and quick dialogue deliverer, as well as an admitted 'thing' for James Spader (even though he is playing a variation of so many characters that he mastered so long ago). There's also the askew music cues. Yes, sometimes too many of the shots and editing are a bit 'cute' [and nauseating...nothing compared to the first season of CSI: New York though], but kudos to William Shatner for spending so much time in make-up, and Candice Bergen for allowing the wardrobe department to stray from full neck/décolletage coverage.

'Gilmore Girls' gives good banter when I'm feeling nostalgic in an 'After-school Special', squeaky clean, sort of way.

You guys are the pro's, but I know what I like and usually why I like it...things make more sense now.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm a huge Boston Legal fan- its Ally McBeal minus the titular annoying character, which was 90% of my dislike of that show, which actually featured some funny stuff from the supporting cast. Shatner is turning in his best work in at least two decades- who knew that feeding his rampaging ego and actually playing to what were formerly considered his weaknesses and then filming it would produce such gold- he's magnificent. He's also come up with the drama chops when needed, which keeps the character from simply consuming itself- its so damn good I pretty much have a big ol' smile on my face during the episode entire.

And love the Spaderman. Does whatever a Spader can.

This is pretty much David Kelley's best work- an entertaining soapbox for his writing to stand on voiced by colorful figureheads that doesn't bother to pretend its anything else... Except a legal show that is.

I just wish they'd give Rene Aberjounois more to do. He's so damn talented, and now they've got him back in a Claytonesque character- the stern control freak.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: BIG SMILES. Reply with quote

Yeah baby!

I do (pretty much) the same thing, and sometimes clap my hands out loud despite that it is another legal episodic drama 'in a general drama of' painstaking programs about oddly clever and cleverly odd lawyers.

[I find it hard to fathom that D.E.K. is (/was?) married to Michelle Pfeiffer and her lips.]

And with the extremely less FX budget they can afford the pricey regulars and a few phenomenal guest appearances...Tom Selleck must have been a 'gift with purchase'...jk...just was never much of a fan of his...not scary-lookin' enough...
smrtpants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: SHARK bite. Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of James Woods [among other 'yummy-uglies': Willem Dafoe, et al.], as an actor...not so much as himself [after catching him on Conan when he was in the height of promoting his gambling game site ventures and proceeded to pull out and wave a wad of cash...].

So, Thursday, Shark...

For the first ten minutes it reeked of 'House'-type dialogue and character-structure, but persistence paid off and soon thereafter it seemed to take on a life, style, and character of its own [and I don't recall it ever resorting to the equivalent of a shadowy half-lit operating room involving easy-peasy speculative spinal chord/brain surgery...].

Maybe I'm just a sucker for 'in-your-face-asses' who end up delivering, but when all was said and done I enjoyed it and will definitely watch a few more episodes.

{Disclaimer: I love 'House' - just don't think many can pull off that kind of character as well as Hugh Laurie...I can't wait until he's in pain again and stops smiling so much...}
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am disappointed in the new season so far. Studio 60's second episode was great... until we saw the "big hilarious opening sketch," which really wasn't funny and only fed into Sorkin's Gilbert & Sullivan fetish. (Keep the comedy off the show, and the show will be good.)

Didn't even make it through the whole craptastic Jericho pilot. And halfway through a DVR'd Heroes, I'm extremely underwhelmed.

Snooze.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I watched the second episode (My first episode) of Jericho, admittedly with my laptop nearby, and kept thinking to myself "wow, somebody managed to make nuclear war boring." Amazing. The best part of the whole trudge was the money shot at the end, watching the dude who had access to the radio pop the red pins all over the US map in silence.

Oh yah, I forgot, Spoiler above.

What? Nobody cared? Exactly.

I have been enjoying Studio 60, and I was surprised they didn't simply cut away from the show within the show to leave it to imagination. I think I would have preferred to see the infamous "Crazy Christians" skit attempted. The S&D number was cute, not funny- actually it was perfect SNL fodder.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely digging Studio 60. The pilot was about as good as any I've ever seen. Keeping the actual skits on the show to the imagination will work for awhile, but eventually he's going to have to bust out and do some edgy stuff to boost the show-within-the-show.

My cable box screwed me on the pilot for Shark, but I got to see the second episode today and I dug it. If for no other reason than to just watch James Woods just rip with the dialogue. Wouldn't you love to see this guy get to do some fast-talkin' His Girl Friday type of comedy?

I've got the second episode of Smith on the Tivo. I thought the pilot wasn't bad. Good cast and pretty well directed if a bit familiar.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik The Movieman wrote:
Keeping the actual skits on the show to the imagination will work for awhile, but eventually he's going to have to bust out and do some edgy stuff to boost the show-within-the-show.

But therein lies the problem... Sorkin is the best TV writer around, but he just can't write sketch comedy. Which is why keeping the show off the show, so to speak, is the only way for the series to work. (And I refuse to believe SNL would ever have a skit simply titled "Crazy Christians." That screams "generic name provided by a guy not into skitcom" and takes me out of the drama every time it's mentioned.)

My Sorkin love wants me to hold on, but that finale was so limp that it's going to be a struggle.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Erik The Movieman wrote:
Keeping the actual skits on the show to the imagination will work for awhile, but eventually he's going to have to bust out and do some edgy stuff to boost the show-within-the-show.

But therein lies the problem... Sorkin is the best TV writer around, but he just can't write sketch comedy. Which is why keeping the show off the show, so to speak, is the only way for the series to work. (And I refuse to believe SNL would ever have a skit simply titled "Crazy Christians." That screams "generic name provided by a guy not into skitcom" and takes me out of the drama every time it's mentioned.)

My Sorkin love wants me to hold on, but that finale was so limp that it's going to be a struggle.

I seem to recall reading they'd hired Mark McKinney to help Sorkin with the sketch part of the show, since Sorkin doesn't have any expertise in that area. I'm guessing McKinney came in AFTER last week's episode, where the sketch, as has been noted, blew.

As for the "Crazy Christians" title, I bet that would be the name of the sketch if the sketch was constructed as a fictitious TV show called "Crazy Christians." On SNL, I suspect the "Morning Latte," "Wayne's World," "Celebrity Jeopardy," "Dog Show," "Nat X," etc., etc. sketches were always just called by their TV show titles. Maybe "Crazy Christians" was a parody of "The 700 Club."
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTinkles wrote:
As for the "Crazy Christians" title, I bet that would be the name of the sketch if the sketch was constructed as a fictitious TV show called "Crazy Christians."

I've been hoping it would be something like that, as it's the only believable reason for such a title.

And McKinney working for Studio 60 would be a godsend. Just finished watching the second season of Slings & Arrows, which he cowrote/costarred. The man's a writing machine.

Here's a question for all your writer types: How would you have opened the show-within-a-show? I'd have planned a skit mocking the ex-boss' interruption - you know, every few seconds someone else runs in to stop everything and complain about the show. Your idea would be...?
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
How would you have opened the show-within-a-show? I'd have planned a skit mocking the ex-boss' interruption - you know, every few seconds someone else runs in to stop everything and complain about the show. Your idea would be...?

I like that. I was thinking, have the cold open begin the same way the previous week's had (a Bush/Cheney thing, I think). And have it interrupted the same way, this time by the new bosses. Only instead of complaining, they go on this big "tirade" about how awesome TV is, how it's classy and intelligent, how they love everything about their network, etc., etc.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Studio 60 late bloomer: Reply with quote

Saw my first S60 this week...

Yes please, more please.

Found it to be 'clever-witty' from a dialogue p.o.v., hilarious from a[n insider] Production p.o.v., well cast, and all that is captivating and makes me giggle and, admittedly, clap my hands [out loud,...again] in delight to be tickled in that precarious funny bone-connected to the-mind bone, kind of way.

[lately it's only been Jon Stewart who could do that for me...i am not too proud to say...]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: