Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio 60

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Studio 60 Reply with quote

Figured it best to move the chit-chat on Studio 60 into its own thread. And so...

Science Schmience? Pimp My Trike?? Rob Reiner??? Yikes.

The problem might be not just Sorkin's lack of sketch comedy know-how, but also in the gap from production to broadcast. Unless he films episodes week of air, he'll never be able to let his show-within-a-show be as topical and edgy as it would be in real life.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only watched the first two episodes....really terrible and contrived and just completely out of the loop...TBS has a better grasp on comedy, and that's sad. Don't see this show lasting long, it's uber lame. Maybe even Cop Rock lame.

There's just something about this show that screams "Demographic Study".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to watch, but that Whitford guy has annoyed me since "The West Wing." Nothing I can explain, he just bothers me. On a tangent, I was reading an old People magazine in a doctor's waiting room last week. It quoted Matthew Perry as signing on to "Studio 60" because "the script was so good and 'The Whole Ten Yards' was so bad." If cancellation talk continues, he might have to sign on to an "11 Yards"!
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just got picked up for a full season. A few episodes shorter than Sorkin wanted, apparently, but not a cancellation.

Not sure if if deserves it, though. It loses me more with every passing week.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I go the other way. I looked forward to Studio 60 all week long, starting from when the previous episode finished and not letting up for seven 24ers.

I agree the show-within-show comedy isn't the highlight, but then I don't watch it for an SNL hit, I watch it because I REALLY love the writing, I dig the dialogue, and 90% of the characters totally gel with me.

I'm saying it's a slow builder. Watch it work up to a head of steam and take root West Wing style in the next half season.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The Christmas episode has me excited for it to come back. I enjoy it heartily, flaws and all, and I hope as it finds a stride that people will take a second look.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the in-show skits aren't the draw either- I believe we are supposed to suspend our disbelief that whatever they pop up is the next big thing in comedy, while we're really supposed to be paying attention to the character interplay as they work under the gun to deliver the goods week to week and juggle their various lives.

Whitford and Perry talk over most of the skits anyway- its about getting the complexities and comedy of getting the show together, not the content. Perry taking out an entire glass window with an unintentional backswing is funnier than anything happening on the stage.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, sadly, missed last week's return episode, as for whatever reason, nobody ever promos this show - ever.

Added to that, the TV Guide on my local cable listing does this fucking annoying thing where they don't show you what is on at 10pm - instead they just show whatever was on at 9pm as being two hours rather than one.

Interestingly, this only happens with Studio 60. It happened all last season, and it's now happening again.

Heck, I missed the first ten minutes of THIS week's show, because it wasn't listed as being on. Thank god South Dakota's Most Dangerous Creatures went to an early commercial break, allowing my channel flicking button to kick in.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it wasn't on last week, unless Canada is now eight days ahead of us Studio 60-wise as opposed to just one.

Steven Weber has just been owning the last couple episodes, though, which is not something I expected; he initially came across as just the evil suit to contrast to Amanda Peet's character.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that, too, how he didn't have much to do at first. I imagined he had assurances that his character would flesh out in interesting ways. This ensemble is just so amazing, in terms of talent, so you know people we don't see much one week can easily step to the forefront in the future.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you guys - at first, I really didn't like his character, but they pulled a 180 and he's actually now my favorite guy in the series.

And who knew PJ Hughley had it in him?
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say it.

This week's Studio 60 - best so far.

It's picking up steam. Hopefully it can pick up a viewer or two at the worst timeslot of the week.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also the last on NBC for a while; I don't know if it'll still get shown in Canada.

It's starting to really look like it's going to be one and done for this show.
Todd
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bigwig at NBC said it was coming back. At the very least, they'll have to bring it back to burn off the rest of the episodes. My guess is that they're hoping something else will stick in the post-"Heroes" slot and they can move it to another night (much like how "Boston Legal" was temporarily pulled to see if "Grey's Anatomy" would work after "Desperate Housewives"). I don't think "The Black Donnelly's" is going to make it. I can't remember the last time I saw a less appealing promo. Looks like I'll have an extra hour on Monday nights. Anyone want to play Boggle?

Brand spanking new blog!
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one ever says "we're pulling it for good", but I read that affiliates have been told it's not in the network's plans for next fall.

I also think it'll be somewhere else when it returns, but I'm not sure where. Sunday night looks like it could develop a hole or two, I suppose.
Todd
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell? I mean, honestly. First they cancelled my beloved Sports Night and now they're probably going to cancel this (or just not renew it or something like that). Sigh.

Brand spanking new blog!
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen it promoed since it started, so it's kind of odd that they'd say anything other than, "bad luck," since they haven't exactly given it a mighty shove.

That said, plenty of shows have found their audience on a new night. The West Wing wasn't the #1 show on TV when it kicked off, but boy howdy, did it get some viewership once it was allowed to find its feet.

If it is cancelled, and The War At Home continues, I'll fucking stalk someone at Blackrock.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. What did they expect? A lot of crossover viewers from "Heroes"?

Brand spanking new blog!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: