Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why doesn't Terry O'Quinn have an Emmy yet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Why doesn't Terry O'Quinn have an Emmy yet? Reply with quote

Just sayin'. Pisses me off, it does. Dude's got the goods. Granted, awards don't mean shit, but goddamit this guys been turning in solid work for as long as I can remember with no sign of slowing down.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Lost (ptui!) pretty close to his first regular work? He was a guy that a lot of people liked using as a guest star, but before Lost, I don't remember him as a part of a regular cast aside from Harsh Realm, which ran for three episodes.

And, on Lost his character is aggressively stupid - or at least was up to the point where I bailed on it.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was an award necessitated by screen time reoccurring or not? Look at Alan Arkin- in Miss Sunshine for all of 20 minutes, Judy Dench? Oscars, I know, but isn't there but isn't there a similar award category in the Emmys? I remember Robin Williams scoring a win for a guest spot on Homicide. Not seeing the point there.

He was a regular supporting cast member in Millenium, yes, he's turned up in a great many non-regular supporting roles- he's had a number of film performances and I've always liked his style.

As for Locke's choices- well, a character that behaves stupidly isn't a reflection on a the talent of the actor playing them- look at the terrific performance of the man playing Gaius in Battlestar- a loathsome, stupid man who seems to make all the headslappingly wrong choices, but a terrific performance. Whatever Locke's questionable choices and seemingly counterintuitive acts, Terry has always put his best foot forward and is an impressive presence on any screen big or small- I friggin love the guy.

I also don't know if I'd call Locke that stupid- he's a guy exploring unchartered territory both literally and figuratively and he's going with what's worked for him- I can't say I'd do the same things, but I also haven't been through what that character's been through- I'm taking last night's episode into consideration, since you've dropped it you are coming from a different place in your understanding of the character- and I can see your frustration with the fact that the show asks your patience in sticking with it up until last night for certain answers. Me, I'm okay with that.

FYI Jay, evidently he feels the same about Locke in some respects as you do:

"I've told the producers that I miss the old John Locke. I wish he hadn't found those damn buttons sometimes. But these ups and downs reflect everybody's. You can't always choose the way things go. That's life."
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are different ways for actors to get slotted in the Emmys - where the Oscars have "lead" and "supporting", the Emmys also have a "guest performance" category. I'm not sure exactly what the cut-off is - I think it's something like "lead" and "supporting" being for people in at least half the episodes broadcast, and "guest" being for less.

Plus, it's the Emmys, which are just messed up in the selection process. Producers only submit a couple episodes of 22-episode series, and the voters tend to suck - winners and nominees get entrenched, and the guest star award is more likely to go to a big star who gets an episode written around him than a pro like O'Quinn who just comes in and does a great job.

And what annoyed me about Locke in the one year and one episode I watched was that as good as O'Quinn is (and, yeah, I love the guy too), he can only be as good as his writing, and no character on that annoying show pissed me off more than Locke. I can't remember how many times that idiot charged in head-first and made things worse for everyone, eventually getting Ian Somerhalder's character killed, and he Just Would Not Fucking Learn, doing some new reckless, counter-productive and stupid thing within a couple of episodes.

Honestly, the way that character was written was a big part of why I stopped watching. Even O'Quinn couldn't convince me that he would jump down some mysterious hole (despite saying he would wait) just days after doing something similar got someone killed.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you're coming from but at the same time Locke has his selfish reasons- he's not a perfect character in the least bit and that's a draw- will he finally wise up? Will he pay for his selfishness, his carelessness?

O'Quinn's performances in his flashbacks cement it for me- they are simply heart-rending and wonderful and I just think he's long past due for some solid recognition.

Of course, putting food on his table by being a regularly working actor is plenty of recognition for anyone in that profession. Last night I just found myself frustrated that the man has not been singled out for his talent- he can bear his soul without stopping the storytelling dead, he's a great performer.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same as I watched him last night. Plus, he has such a cool look about him, a lot of it in the eyes. His face compels me to watch him and seems to radiate energy.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tashers always has my back!

Yeah, I was just sitting there Wed. night and just watching this actor blow me away with the horror, desperation, and incredulity baking off of him, and I just then started to recall that I've always seen this level of commitment from him in so many things but just so damn good here, and I found myself actually angry that the guy hasn't gotten some props.

But then again, he's on one of the major must see shows and will never be at a lack for work, so I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't need me worrying about it.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why has he never won an Emmy?

Simple.

He's always Lost.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame "baldist," in the same way Rosie O'Donnell coined the term "weightist" as prejudice against fat people. Everything that has ever gone wrong in my life is not my fault, it is because people are baldist and weightist. Now, I feel better. Fight the good fight, Terry!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: