Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More love for Arrested Development.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
Yes. And here it is: The average American is functionally retarded.

You guys? Not so much. But you're not average.

I'm just curious. I'm sure when you ask these people the question, their answer isn't "I'm an imbecile".
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.

'Imbecile' is a word that is a little beyond their range.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news of the demise of "Arrested Development" and "Kitchen Confidential" is harder to swallow, as the article I read about it also mentioned a full season pick-up for fucking "Freddie."

Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARGHH

-M

-V
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't we start a new TV for smart people?
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Developmentfans, I suppose we are looking at the last hurrah of our brilliant little show that nobody watched.

I seriously don't understand it, tho. Just about everyone I know watches the show; I have conversations (in real-life AND online) with people about AD all the time. So how is the viewership so amazingly low??

I think we should all just deal with it and be grateful we got, what: 22, 18, and an eventual 13 episodes. That's 53 20-minute nuggets of brilliance. Forever enshrined on my DVD shelf.

At least we got that much....

(Fingers still crossed for a miracle that's not likely to arrive.)
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, neither we, nor the people we know, have ratings boxes.

People who watch Everybody Loves Raymond and Jay Leno have ratings boxes.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the show. But It is a crime that something universally praised gets dropped, along with shows like Over There, while shit like Freddie gets renewed and The War at Home gets ratings. Just what is the IQ threshold of the Nielson families anyway?
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second - BACK UP!

MOTHERFUCKIN' FREDDIE GOT RENEWED FOR A FULL SEASON!!!???

The world has officially gone retarded.

Let's get the letter-writing campaign started for Arrested Development. Only let's include violent threats to both the Fox executives trying to kill the show and anyone watching CBS on Monday nights. Or Freddie. Or reality shows.

Where is HBO? They weren't there to pick up Action. They should be moving on Arrested Development immediately. Start calling HBO!!!
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that we even have to fight to keep a show this good on the air is an indication of how little TV executives know about their business.

Charlize Theron is on the show right now... ACADEMY AWARD WINNING CHARLIZE THERON! Yet where are the billboards? Where are the 24/7 ads? Where is the PR campaign?

Morons. Total fucking eedjits.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on the S2 DVD set, but I thought it was worth posting here.

Cross' Rant
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I know they're generally pointless, but here's a petition for us all to sign. And I'll be checking names, too! Twisted Evil
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilting at windmills, but you never know.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only Arrested Development that's getting the axe.

Quote:
WB Says '7th Heaven' Is Ending Run
Nov 11, 2:05 PM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The Camden family is passing into TV history, with the WB network announcing Friday that "7th Heaven" will end after 10 seasons.

"7th Heaven" was quietly the most popular show in the WB's history, even as the relentlessly hip network trained its spotlight elsewhere. Nineteen of the 20 most-watched shows in the WB's history were "7th Heaven" episodes.

Series creator Brenda Hampton said she anticipated this would be the last season, but it was still difficult to break the news to the cast and crew.

"At this point, we're all very much a family," she said. "However, just like the Camden kids, I think we've all grown up and it's simply time to leave home."

No one gave a reason for the cancellation, but production costs tend to increase as shows get older and salaries rise. Contracts for most of the people involved in "7th Heaven" reportedly run out at the end of the season.

The show also proudly proclaims itself the longest-running family drama in TV history, with this final season enabling it to pass "The Waltons" and "Little House on the Prairie" in longevity.

This season, "7th Heaven" stands as the WB's most popular series after "Gilmore Girls." Its average of 5.1 million viewers a week is only slightly down from last season's 5.3 million, according to Nielsen Media Research.

It began in 1996 with actor Stephen Collins portraying the Rev. Eric Camden, the patriarch of a family of five children that expanded to seven with the birth of twins in 1999. Catherine Hicks played his wife, Annie. "7th Heaven" suffered only one cast defection — Jessica Biel, who was the oldest Camden daughter.

"In a million years, I never thought I would play some sort of iconic image of fatherhood. I'm tremendously grateful for it," Collins told The Associated Press earlier this year.

The WB hasn't announced a date for the finale; the ratings "sweeps" month of May is most likely.

"Brenda Hampton has already begun work on scripts for the second half of the season," said David Janollari, WB entertainment president.

These episodes will be filled with emotion and life-changing events."

It looks like curtains, too, for Fox's comedy "Arrested Development," which never translated its Emmy Award and critical raves into a broader popularity.

Fox didn't announce the end of the show, but said it wouldn't order a full season's worth of 22 episodes. Barring a miraculous turnaround, that usually means a series is kaput.

Critics loved the quirky comedy starring Jason Bateman, and it won the Emmy for best comedy last year. But its already paltry ratings dropped precipitously this season, averaging 4.3 million viewers on Monday nights.

Fox also decided against a full season order for "Kitchen Confidential."

It's really strange that a show gets so much praise yet notoby (according to Nielsen ratings) seems to, or doesn't care to watch it.

Anyways, too bad.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If HBO doesn't pick up Arrested Development, they don't deserve to be in business. You can't tell me they wouldn't enjoy 4 million viewers every week.
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
If HBO doesn't pick up Arrested Development, they don't deserve to be in business. You can't tell me they wouldn't enjoy 4 million viewers every week.

Of course, they wouldn't get 4M views/week; a large chunk of folks might like it enough to watch, but not enough to pay for. I mean, I love Arrested Development, but I'm not dealing with an extra $20/month on my cable bill and interfacing the box with my DVR. I'll wait for the DVDs.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that the whole "let another network have it" is not going to happen too often anymore. I mean, say Fox let HBO take the show and it became a real success. Fox would have egg all over its face, and I don't think they're willing to let that happen.

I'm not admitting defeat just yet, but I'm planning to be content with the three(ish) seasons that we got. Considering it's Fox we're talking about, 53 episodes is at least something substantial.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that Fox has any hold on the show if they don't renew contracts. Granted, HBO wouldn't automatically pick up those viewers, but they know how to promote (and stick with) a show, so they might hold half the viewers, and bring aboard a whole lot more who have HBO but don't currently do Arrested Development.

That and, as we all know, HBO replays everything to death, which also helps rope in more viewers and boosts the hell out of a DVD release.

We know what'll happen. Fox will kill AD, then release the DVD of the last season which will sell through the roof, and then they'll say "oh, who knew?"
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
I'm thinking that the whole "let another network have it" is not going to happen too often anymore. I mean, say Fox let HBO take the show and it became a real success. Fox would have egg all over its face, and I don't think they're willing to let that happen.

I don't know that Fox would be too concerned about pride or appearances when there's money involved. If HBO (or, more realistically, Showtime, since HBO hasn't had outside-produced original programming since, what, Dream On) were to pick up Arrested Development, News Corp will happily accept their money, set a DVD release date, and bide their time until they've got enough episodes to strip it on FX.
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Die-hard 'Arrested Development' fans already feeling sting of loss

Author Tim Goodman wrote this article (posted all the way back at the beginning of the thread) and has been a pretty vocal supporter of the show, so much so that his name was listed as a pull-quote for Les cousins dangereux (“a ‘relative’ masterpiece of complex eroticism.”).

Topics include a potential move to Showtime (HBO won't take cast-offs, and hasn't since Dream On, as Jay mentioned, and Goodman thinks the show would be a good fit with Weeds), how Fox has given creator Mitch Hurwitz the go-ahead to shop the show around, and how it's not technically cancelled (yet). Good read.

Also, for those curious: FOX Broadcasting Viewer Comment Line: (310) 369-3066. Be nice.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Showtime gets it, not only will I start watching Showtime again (I can only take so many shows about how to get the most out of my sexlife), but I'll also give Weeds a chance.

And anything else they have.

EVERYTHING else they have!
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new tonight?
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wait a minute, that was your trick, right?"
"No. That wasn't my trick, Michael."

Fade to white.

NEXT TIME ON ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. "THAT WAS MY ILLUSION!"

Awesome. That may have been the best ending to an AD episode ever.

Multiple Monster references. Being There reference. The George Michael Star Wars tape. Buster singing Mr. Roboto. "They're not expensive." Tobias's dolly. "The fact that you call it 'pop-pop' proves you're not ready for it..." and "The fact that you call it 'sexual relations' proves you're ready for it...". The little bitty teddy. "WHY AM I NOT SINKING. FOR GOD'S SAKE, WHY AM I NOT SINKING!?!?" And the return of "I've made a huge mistake."

I'm gonna miss this show.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So damn funny.

Lindsay's wink just KILLED me, even before Michael commented on it. Smile
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was really top-notch. all i hope for is that they had enough time to do something really great for a final episode, but they probably didn't get enough notice. Sad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: