Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How I Met Your Mother

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: How I Met Your Mother Reply with quote

I'm taking bets on how long this one'll last. Take into consideration:

1. It's the worst sitcom ever.

2. It's on CBS, a network that does not seem to cancel its terrible sitcoms as quickly.

3. It's the worst sitcom EVER.

4. It's sandwiched between King of Queens and Two and a Half Men, two shows that are, for some reason, popular enough to keep people around watching this.

5. MY EYES! MY EYES! SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN, MY PRECIOUS EYES!!!

My wife thinks it'll be gone within a month or two. I'm convinced its sheer badness will mean it will go a full two seasons.

Dave

PS: Also taking bets on the mildly uninteresting Kitchen Confidential. It's on Fox, so I'm betting on no more than five episodes.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, are you insane? Yes, Dear is still on CBS. By your reasoning, How I Met Your Mother will be on the air longer than Frasier. May I remind you that one of the worst sitcoms of all time, Step By Step, stayed on the air for an astonishing seven years.

I couldn't adequately judge How I Met as my TV decided to treat CBS like a red-headed stepchild named Cody.

-M

-V
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having seen it, I'll guess How I Met Your Mother lasts one year and then quietly disappears. CBS doesn't order very many backup comedies, so it will survive just on the basis of the network not having another half-hour show to plug into the slot.

Kitchen Confidential amused me, but I don't know about it seeing the other side of the baseball playoffs. Fox's comedy schedule looks to be more of a bloodbath than usual, and neither it not Arrested Development has a spot reserved on the schedule in January. I tend to think that the Michael Rappaport atrocity goes first, Arrested moves back to Sunday, and Kitchen winds up in limbo.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't mind "How I Met Your Mother" so much. Doogie Howser made me laugh a few times, and the rest of the characters were likable enough, if not especially funny. I don't think I'll watch it regularly, and maybe not ever again, but it's far from the WORST comedy ever. It's not even the worst new comedy of the season, which would be the aforementioned Michael Rappaport atrocity, "The War at Home."
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug "Confidential," although it didn't really make me LAUGH. I'll give it a few more weeks.

Last night I dug "My Name is Earl" -- and the "Office" premiere was frickin' hilarious!
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the 05-05-05 party and the tsunami 'fun'-raiser. I loved it!

I had read good reviews of How I Met Your Mother, so I watched. I agree that Neil Patrick Harris was the best part. Next week I'm switching to the Kitchen and giving it a shot.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are far worst sitcoms on TV - but what I saw of How I Met Your Mother didn't look promising. And I only watched because Cobie Smulders is just too damn adorable.

Plus the show completely pissed me off with its first big "twist" in that this relationship between Ted (the actor was horrible) and the cute brunette was practically driven into our subconscious with the ads for the last two months - and the show ends by telling us that she actually becomes his sister-in-law. Kiss my ass, show!

But I agree - My Name Is Earl was terrific and The Office (while one of the funniest things on TV for its initial six episode first season) finally showed signs of what made the original so great. We hate the boss, but come to feel sympathy for what a sad sack he is. His humiliation coupled with the office crew coming to his defense was just beautiful.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! Forgot to schedule The Office to record. Again: DAMMIT!

Mother is indeed the worst ever - the first fifteen seconds I watched of that show (I came in about five minutes late) contained: obvious, overplayed punchlines; terrible acting (even from my beloved Hannigan - nothing can save that writing); dialogue to make one squirm; and the most obviously fake laugh track money could buy. It was as if somebody chewed up every last thing that's terrible about a run-of-the-mill sitcom and then threw it up on my TV screen.

Dave
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much longer will it be until the multi-camera/laugh track format is completely dead? With "Raymond" gone, there aren't too many successful shows using it anymore. All the buzzed about comedies these days are single camera.

And while I don't really watch any multi-camera shows (with the exception of "King of Queens" - what can I say, it makes me giggle), there is something oddly comfortable about the format. It's probably just the nostalgic part of me that wishes I was still 10 years old and sitting in front of the tube, watching the wayward adventures of Alex P. Keaton.

There is, however, the upcoming multi-camera Louis C.K. sitcom that is going to be on HBO. Louis C.K.'s stand up act is absolutley hilarious, and I guess the show is gonna be R-rated. I'm very much looking forward to it.
bibbybob

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: How I met Your Mother Reply with quote

I would have agreed with you after watching the pilot episode. But after giving it a chance, I can honestly say I watch this. Yeah, it isn't stellar, but it is starting to find itself. And there aren't too many new shows out there for the twentysomethings of use to watch right? A lot of people have been comparing it to friends (which also struggled early on). I see some similarities (better in some ways, worse in others). All in all, I think it is worth a second chance for all those that bailed after the dismal pilot. [deleted for shillery] is saying that CBS grabbed it for another year so you'll have a chance to watch it come fall.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You FUCKIN' SHILL WHORE!!!!!!!
lake1951

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

( blatant shillery )
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this is the only 30 minute sitcom on TV I regularly watch now. Everything else I see is a one hour procedural, a soap disguised as primetime fodder, and Lost or Lost imitators.

Despite really disliking the milksop main character, everybody else is pretty funny, and Neil Patrick Harris has found his niche. Yes, its formulaic and may never escape the Friends comparisons, but its actually funny and there is some wit present.

Cue everybody yelling at me for not watching The Office. Actually, cue no response at all. Yeah. That's sounds about right.
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but my "noob" sauce is leaking...

What is "shillery"?
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shillery = spam; in this case, oh-so-cleverly disguised as something like "hey, I like How I Met Your Mother, too!!!! Did you know it comes out on DVD on whatever day!?!" They shill their product so they can get a t-shirt or whatever, we delete it outright or edit the message so as not to break up the thread.
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see... the cloud has been lifted, thank you Ryan...
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
Cue everybody yelling at me for not watching The Office. Actually, cue no response at all. Yeah. That's sounds about right.

S'ok. I don't watch The Office either. Yeah! Fuck your moms! And I fucking hate it when everyone asks me repeatedly if I watch it, even after I've told them time and time again that I don't. Guess what? I've even watched an episode or two (or a half, whatever), so I'm wagering I'll NEVER watch it. I HATE YOU, THE OFFICE! AND YOUR STUPID THEME MUSIC. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I love you just a little Catwoman.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: