Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seven Samurai Remake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Seven Samurai Remake? Reply with quote

Whoa . . .

Quote:
Smith fighting 'Samurai' for Miramax redo
Jan. 16, 2003

PARK CITY -- Screenwriter Scott Marshall Smith, who penned "Men of Honor," has been tapped by Miramax Films to write the mini-major's upcoming untitled contemporary remake of "The Seven Samurai," based on the late Japanese auteur Akira Kurosawa's classic 1954 picture. But don't expect another "The Magnificent Seven," the 1960 Western version of the Kurosawa classic that was directed by John Sturges. Because MGM -- which holds the rights to the 1960 feature that starred Yul Brenner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson -- is not involved in the new version of the Kurosawa tale, its protagonists probably won't be sitting tall in the saddle. Widely considered a masterpiece of the action-drama genre, the original "Samurai" centers on a poor Japanese village that is besieged by marauding bandits. The villagers must recruit seven samurai to help them defend themselves. The film was nominated for two Oscars upon its U.S. bow and was subsequently remade as "The Magnificent Seven." (Ian Mohr)

This could either be awesome or an unmitigated disaster. I've been wanting a QUALITY remake of TSS for years, one that gave props to the original screenplay while making it more action-packed like the Samurai flicks of the 70's. I'm just wondering if this is going to be a "real" remake (set in feudal Japan with an Asian cast), and not some piece of action tripe in a contemporary setting that just happens to incorporate the same themes. I'll be watching this one closely. Any of our people in Park City heard anything more on this?

hey, between this and this year's The Last Samurai, the Samurai flick could be making a comeback! Now if we could only find someone with the skill of Wakayama Tomisaburo, or the poise of Toshiro Mifune - Oh what a wonderful world it could be!
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: ----------- Reply with quote

Samurai, kung-fu -- all that shit bores me blind. Would rather see a 21st-century, R-rated remake of Where the Boys Are starring Pamela Anderson, Kari Wuhrer, and Alison Eastwood!!!
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd rather see them starring in a volume of Where the Boys AREN'T - but thanks for contributing Very Happy
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, nobody else has an opinion? This is THE SEVEN SAMURAI, people! I know Oz is gonna chime in on this one (although I believe he said that if anyone ever remade TSS, he would give up on film altogether Shocked )
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess I should rescind that being as the flick has been remade about nine times.

Tarantino's upcoming flick, Kill Bill, looks like it's going to be heavy on the samurai sword play. Though I don't know if Uma Thurman has the same samurai cred as Toshiro Mifune.

I guess most of us are just worn out by the non-stop remake mania that's taking the place of original thought. While on a Sundance shuttle, Scott met the girl who's remaking Freaking Friday. While coming home, I read about Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's possible Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid remake. It seems nothing is sacred, so all we can really hope for is that they don't pull a Rollerball and make a film that is exactly what the original film was protesting and prophesizing about.

Alas.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, the flick has been remade several times - but never as an actual Samurai movie. I would feel better if it was being remade by a Japanese cast and crew, but I'm going to be uncharacteristically optimisitic and hope they won't be stupid enough to turn one of the world's most revered films into another Rollerball fiasco. I'm anxious to see who gets tapped to direct.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: