Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future-ama?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Future-ama? Reply with quote

Quote:
"Futurama" may live to see the year 3000 after all.

Talks have begun at 20th Century Fox TV to revive the animated skein, which takes place in the next millennium, much in the same way "Family Guy" found new life after cancellation.

The studio is in early discussions to put "Futurama" back in production and create a limited number of episodes of the Emmy Award-winning skein -- although it's too soon to tell where those segs might end up. A rep for 20th Century Fox TV declined comment.

The final original episode of "Futurama" aired on Fox in August 2003. But since then, the skein has found new life -- and fans -- via DVD releases and repeatedly high-rated airings on the Cartoon Network.

"Futurama" remains popular enough that Comedy Central even stole away off-net rights to the show's repeats late last year; it will switch to the laffer cabler in 2008.

A similar resurgence in interest for "Family Guy" persuaded 20th Century Fox TV to revive that show, which has produced two seasons of new episodes and a DVD since coming back from the dead. "Family Guy" now resides as Fox's Sunday 9 p.m. tentpole.

"Futurama" scored three Emmys in its five-season run, including the 2002 award for animated series. But it lived an unusual existence on Fox, with short seasons, late launches and long gaps between airings. That allowed Fox to air five seasons of "Futurama," even though technically only four were produced.

"The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening and "Simpsons" vet David X. Cohen were behind "Futurama," which bowed on Fox in March 1999. The animated skein revolved around Fry, a pizza delivery boy who's accidentally frozen for 1,000 years. He wakes up in the year 3000 and befriends cyclops Leela and cranky robot Bender -- all of whom work for the intergalactic delivery service run by Fry's distantly descended nephew, Prof. Farnsworth.

Before "Futurama" comes back into being, however, 20th first must secure deals with the show's production team, as well as voice stars including Billy West (Fry), Katey Sagal (Leela) and John DiMaggio (Bender).

Meanwhile, even after the cancellation new "Futurama" stories have continued to be churned out via the "Futurama" comicbook, published by Groening's Bongo Comics imprint."

Source: Variety
---

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't tease me, you stupid jew.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sporky, look! It's that girl that you are!
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be so fucking awesome. I love this show- better than the Simpsons and the only show that stands head to head with Family Guy in animated comedy these days- this is something I watch every night on Adult Swim, and I'd love to have it back on.

I'm sure Billy West is excited as hell- he loved doing this show- would pretty much do it for life, he liked it so much. Shame that Fox fucked it over again and again and again as per their policy on musical chair programming.

I hope this pushes through- this stuff's quality.

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP ZOIDBERG!

MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Fox, no wonder they call you Fox, for you are crafty indeed.

First you cancel the greatest sitcom in the history of television ("Arrested Development"), then give the fans a finger in the eye by taking even the remaining four episodes off the schedule.

And just when I think I will hate you forever ... you bring back "Futurama," and I have to love you again. Damn you!

(Note: Does not apply if "Futurama" does not, in fact, return. In fact, if it doesn't, I will hate Fox EVEN MORE for having gotten my hopes up.)
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like they're on a six year delayed reaction to all external stimuli, doesn't it?
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You honestly think they're not going to show the last four episodes of AD?

Oh, the humanity!

-M

-V
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Futurama' lives on at Comedy Central

Laffer net brings back Fox toon

By DENISE MARTIN

"Futurama" lives on.

Comedy Central has resurrected the former Fox series, ordering 13 episodes to debut in 2008. Pact builds upon the cabler's acquisition of the 72-episode library last fall.

Discussions about a revival of the half-hour began in earnest earlier this year (Daily Variety, Jan. 20) between "Futurama" producer 20th Century Fox Television and series creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen.

Now-resolved sticking point had been bringing back the cast, which hadn't worked on new episodes for the show since it left the air in August 2003. Thesps Billy West, Katey Sagal and John DiMaggio are onboard for the new segs that will continue the story of the pizza delivery boy, accidentally frozen for 1,000 years, who wakes up in the future.

"There is a deep and passionate fan base for this intelligent and very funny show that matches perfectly with our audience and it is great that we can offer them not just the existing library, but something they've never seen as well," said senior VP of programming David Bernath.

"Futurama" has traveled a course similar to that of animated skein "Family Guy," which also was cancelled and later brought back after DVD releases and off-network repeats grew a new fanbase.

What's more, "Futurama" has proven a cash cow for 20th since its cancellation. Studio has fetched major coin for the reruns, first from Cartoon Network, which spent a then record-setting $10 million in 2002 for cable TV rights to the series.

Comedy Central last October laid out almost $30 million for the next five-year window, set to begin in 2008 after the license with Cartoon's Adult Swim expires.

Twentieth recently relaunched production on another animated franchise, "King of the Hill," which had been let go by Fox and had shut things down until an 11th-hour change of heart at the network.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&a=VR1117945773&c=14

Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUZZAH! ZOIDBERG LIVES AGAIN! Someone get me some live bait and we'll have a toast!
Samantha906

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...so much to say about this show.... so little words to describe it. lol. Honestly, i think the show was great, but i'm not sure if it overdoes the simpsons.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: