Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gilmore Girls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Gilmore Girls Reply with quote

Any thoughts of the exit of the series creators for next year?

On the one hand, no one can do the dialogue so unique to the Gilmores like them. On the other, I have hated the direction of the storylines this year. Maybe a new perspective can refresh the whole enterprise.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good or bad, isn't Lauren Graham leaving at the end of her contract (next season?) I think the Palladinos' departure will allow some new blood to fresh things up.

-M

p.s. I have a ton of "Shut Up Rory" t-shirts if anyone wants one, email me.

-V
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Gillian ever wore t-shirts with words on them, I'd totally go in for one. She watches GG every so often, and I'll often hear "oh, just shut up, you annoying little cow" emanate from the living room when she does.

Don't watch myself. Can't deal with the way too quick dialogue, even if it's witty. I mean, if there was just half a second gap between one person saying one line and the next saying the next, I might believe it... but...
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eck, if it weren't for the unbelievably fast dialogue, it wouldn't be Gilmore Girls. You take it or leave it I guess.

I had no idea the show's creators were leaving or that Lauren Graham's contract is almost up. When GG is over and done with, 'think the WB would do like a spin-off show with just Rory?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's both the girls or nothing.

Lauren Graham and co. are signed through next year, which was part of the sticking point. The Sherman-Palladinos wanted a two year deal.

I would consider watching a spin-off with the elder Gilmores, though. They make me laugh more than anyone.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview with Amy & Dan at TVGuide.com

Amy Palladino wrote:

My biggest frustration, actually, was the fact that there was no dialogue. It was like we went to them and said, "This is what we would like," and they came back and said, "This is what we'll give you take it or leave it." There was no chance for Dan and I and the studio to talk about what any of that would mean. And that's a little sad, a little frustrating, but you know what? It's business...

This has been an awful, heartbreaking thing. When a deal falls apart because somebody wants a gazillion dollars and I demand that my parking space be painted pink and that every time I show up somebody sings "Once in Love with Amy," then fine, walk away. But what we asked for from the studio had nothing to do with money. Dan and I never even got around to discussing price, because we just wanted our other issues to be talked about first. We earned that, we deserved that, we should've gotten that and we should've been coming back next year. And that's my feeling. I'm very, very sorry we're not. This show has been my heart and my soul for six years. I dragged Dan away from a lovely room of boys doing fart jokes over at Family Guy to come play with the girls and, between the two of us, we have kept this show as fresh and alive and as hopping as it has been. And we have done nothing but devote every single aspect of our lives for the last six years to this show. We haven't had time to do anything else. We haven't breathed anything else. It never occurred to us. And now that it's over, we're very, very sad. But I need it very clear out there that we did not walk away. And what we asked for was absolutely, ridiculously within our rights to get. And I feel like without it, the show really would've not done well next year because we just couldn't have maintained this high-wire act that we've been on for this long.

-M

-V
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eck, if it weren't for the unbelievably fast dialogue, it wouldn't be Gilmore Girls. You take it or leave it I guess.

Of course it isn't going to be for everyone, but that's what makes it an entertaining show for me as well. I like the witty, reference filled banter that comes at you really quick; it may not be realistic but the strong writing makes for good comedy.

This is also interesting about the show's new runner, David Rosenthal, who has had a few hits under his belt, although I'm not so sure about a play he did in 2001:
(Source: Defamer)

Quote:
Rosenthal had in fact written a play called "Love" about his quest to get supermodel Heidi Klum to have sex with him. Reviews of the play, which apparently contained so many profanities that it rated an NC-17, were not kind. The New York Times called Rosenthal's play "not only offensive but incompetent" and said that the way that Rosenthal talked about Klum--whom he had met during a guest stint on Rosenthal's show Spin City--was "as cruel and disgusting as actual stalking."

The New York Times reviewer wasn't the only one perturbed by Rosenthal's play. Rosenthal had sent copies to his then agents at Endeavor--Ari Emanuel and Richard Weitz--who promptly dropped him as a client. His rabbi father, after reading the play, had Rosenthal briefly committed at UCLA Medical Center.

Kooky.

And I've love one of those Shut up, Rory t-shirts anyway. Sometimes she makes me angry, but in a good way. Smile

Jason
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Gilmore Girls, didn't you LOVE the Scrubs where we found out that JD and Turk both watch it!
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody been watching?

I missed last week's episode, but this week's ep and then the one before last week's I thought were as-always-funny but also surprisingly poignant. I smell a pretty grand season finale coming up, not followed by a season 8 next year... not because the series has been fading (it's really perked up lately), but because the writers sure are making an effort to round out all the characters and their relationships.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, it's been a pretty lousy season. A lot of times, I think David Rosenthal just doesn't know these characters at all, and the bulk of the season has been tied up with Christopher, which is just lousy writing because it exists for the specific purpose of being undone.

The last couple of weeks have been better, and I suspect that the show may be back next year - I think Lauren Graham's producer credit is meant, in part, to entice her to return - but I have to admit, I'm secretly hoping that the sitcom pilot Amy Sherman-Palladino is shooting for Fox tanks and Warner brings her back.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I don't know how anybody could not adore this season. It's been funny, touching, smart, it's just as good as it ever was -- if not, better. The last episode totally knocked me out and I loved the one before that too (I had a back-to-back DVR marathon of the last 2 eps). Brilliant!!! From the tiny details that remind you the show is grounded in reality (Rory's journey at college is the most believable one on television that I've ever seen) and written by writers who personally relate to and love the characters they created to the rampant, unfettered, witty wordplay and pop culture references and comedy... I'm in love with the Gilmore Girls.

And (spoiler) I was so sad for Rory when she got the rejection letter. I've become so attached to these characters! Sigh.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHILL!!
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

: *(
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest bummer about not being able to get a new season is that the Palladinos obviously didn't get to write/direct the send-off, unless that's why Amy Sherman-Palladino has had the Executive Producer credit for the last few months.

The other big bummer is that the show has been on an upward swing lately. David Rosenthal actually managed to write a good episode this week! I still think the whole Christopher storyline this year was a mistake which chewed up far too much of what everybody knew coming in was probably the show's last year.

Hopefully, there's a silver lining in CW having five hours to fill on Sunday & Tuesday nights means that they pick up Veronica Mars, FBI.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree about the Christopher storyline, if only for that climactic scene where Lorelai and him talk about how she really did want it to work and if only to break up her and Luke, so they could awkwardly try to be friends again at the car lot. Razz And I think it's suitable and makes sense that she went back to him after the thing with Luke.

This entire season has been written well in my opinion. When Paris is reading her acceptance letters to grad school -- classic!!!!

I think one reason my age group loves the show SO very much, is because a lot of people take for granted the realism of the characters... they love or hate it for the stylish dialog. But I suppose because I am the same age and on the same track as Rory, all of her experiences ring true for me. Paris' explanation for why she broke up with her boyfriend made so much sense, it was weird. It's like I know these writers have kids that go to Yale or some other university. It's obvious.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: