Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Venture Bros.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: The Venture Bros. Reply with quote

Does anyone else watch this show? I just finished watching the first season on DVD, and though the first few episodes started off slowly, I have really come to love the show and find it hysterical.

Just wondering if I have any Venture bretheren.
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the avatar. Smile

Love this show. It hit its stride midway through season one and hooked me. Season two was phenomenal as well.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've begun taping episodes- out of much of the Adult Swim lineup, its certainly the most coherent and aware of what its trying to do. Its also damn entertaining and amusing if not balls out funny. Well, that's a lie- Hank and Dean's date night was fucking hilarious, with one accidentally setting his crotch on fire and the other furiously beating at it- helping and hurting at the same time.

I will admit to being incredibly disturbed by Dr. Girlfriend- that body... that voice...

And who doesn't like Patrick Warburton- this guy can take any voiceover and spin gold out of it.

I'd be more into it if I could figure out Cartoon Network's irritating method of shuffling the shows I'm interested in and then drenching them in Anime- a subset of cartoon that I actively despise save for perhaps Myzaki's works.

And I'm still angry at them for the loss of Justice League Unlimited. I think I'm going to kill a Japanese person in retailation. How 50 kajillion Anime shows virtually indistinguishable from one another swimming in incoherence can exist for the drooling masses and JLU not make the cut is unfathomable and unacceptable.
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan_A: Great avatar... "Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!" Classic.

Kand El: I agree with you about current anime. I used to love anime, back in the days of Akira, Vampire Hunter D, and Record of Lodoss War, and I still enjoy the occasional movie like Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away. But for the most part, anime now is, as you said, indistingushable. I would much rather CN show repeats of the great adult swim shows it has.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup- Princess Mononoke (benefitting from a translation by Neil Gaiman of all people), Spirited Away, Warriors of the Wind- that's my guy!

This next statement should probably go on the "My Unpopular Opinion" thread, but I'll take those three over "Akira" any day. As for the rest- its Pokemon inspired horseshit that legions of 13-16 year olds zombify themselves into believing is hip and relevant, even if there is no discernable sense or plot despite occassionally compelling visuals (that lose even that aspect when, like CGI, its overused to the point that "Special" effects aren't all that "Special" anymore.

Of late, I'm not altogether happy with Adult Swim either. Venture is a standout, Aqua Teen can still get a laugh out of me (Master Shake is perhaps one of the greatest, most original, best vm'ed characters in the last decade- his closest contemporary is Bender, an equally self-absorbed sociopath with perhaps a bit more conscience in Futurama)- but man, the rest of the shit you have to sit through to excavate even the smallest amounts of gold... Squidbillies, Mouse and something or other, squiggly crap that purports to sacrifice good animation for good writing yet accomplishes neither, and of course Tom Goes the the Mayor- a show so relentlessly unfunny and so taken with itself that I truly feel I could commit murder on its perpetrators, so disgusted am I by their inflated sense of assurance in their "cleverness". God I hate that show.

For me, after Family Guy and Futurama reruns, its Venture, Harvey Birdman, the occassional ATHF, Boondocks, and that's about all she wrote for Cartoon Network which has sunk under the weight of its despicable Anime pandering and its willingness to give a time slot to anyone who can make a cartoon flip book and get their pause filled dialogue somewhere in the vicinity of what some might hear in Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

But hey, that's just me.
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of truth in everything you wrote. Family Guy is one of my favorite shows on TV, though I don't quite lump it in with Adult Swim because it is not one of their originals. I guess the same would go for Futurama.

I am actually a fan of Robot Chicken as well. A lot of it is pure garbage, but at least once per episode they will hit me with something like the "Phone Call by Darth Vader to the Emporer" segment that had me floored.

Something else that I have enjoyed recently have been the occasional rerun of Pee Wee's Playhouse. It is so weird to see this show now, though I was never a huge fan even as a child. I laugh whenever Laurence Fishburn shows up.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the Robot Chicken front: 95% agressively unfunny and easy, 5% approaching greatness, but why put in the time?

I think the only things Seth Green has ever done of value is his role as the young Richie Tozier in "IT" and the voice of Chris Griffin (which lost a point from me when I discovered his original intention was to make him sound like Ted Levine as Buffalo Bill, and then gained it back once he'd honed it into a real character- besides, how can I fault the guy when Stewie is simply and unabashedly Evil Rex Harrison?) I'm pretty sure a trained orang-outang could play Scott Evil and still get the same result.

I think Harvey Birdman is supposed to be brought back, and I hope so. That's some great stuff. Hell, Gary Cole, Stephen Colbert- no surprise that its got the yuks.

And isn't Futurama getting another shot a la Family Guy? I love that show so much- its 50 times more clever and complex than The Simpsons and there's no "Lisa" or "Marge" episodes- every character shines and can carry a plot.
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point we should probably just start a new topic, with the tangent this is going on, but is Gary Cole one of the most underappreciated comedic actors in Hollywood or what? He seems to upgrade everything he is a part of. It is a wonder to me why he is not used in more comedies.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Cole is an excellent comic and dramatic actor - absolutely love him in American Gothic.

Ooooh, I'm so damn tempted to start a topic about that now...
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
I think Harvey Birdman is supposed to be brought back, and I hope so. That's some great stuff. Hell, Gary Cole, Stephen Colbert- no surprise that its got the yuks.

And isn't Futurama getting another shot a la Family Guy? I love that show so much- its 50 times more clever and complex than The Simpsons and there's no "Lisa" or "Marge" episodes- every character shines and can carry a plot.

Birdman's been back with new episodes for at least three weeks on Sundays at (I think) 12:45. It's after Squidbillies. They did off Phil Ken Sebben (and Reducto) two weeks ago, though, so I wonder if Colbert's out.

Futurama will be reborn on Comedy Central starting in late 2007/early 2008. They'll get all the rerun rights as well as 13 new episodes.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Sunday nights are tough for me with the 5:55am wakeup. I haven't checked that out yet.

I'm sure Stephen Colbert's plate is pretty full these days- no surprise to me he can't swing the vo.

And I'd rather obstruct my airway with a used gym sock than watch Squidbillies.

As for Futurama ... HOOORRAAAAY!

Everything's coming up Zoidberg!
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
Yeah, Sunday nights are tough for me with the 5:55am wakeup. I haven't checked that out yet.

Last week's episode is still streaming on AdultSwim.com. And there's clips here, too.
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both seasons of Venture are linked here, although I don't know how long those will last. No Birdman yet, but they do have Duckman...
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer. Thanks for the link, Ryan. I know what I am doing tonight after work...

I think I peed a little when I saw Duckman on there. I loved that show when it was on.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: