Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Look ma, I have an expensive DVD!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> OOPs: Or, Why DVD Collectors Are Suckers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Look ma, I have an expensive DVD! Reply with quote

Nicely done on the article, Rob. A friend of mine parted ways with his copy of Salo for over $600 a while back, and I believe he purchased it new for $40 or so.

The only collector items I have are several signed DVD's and a copy of the original, discontinued "Giant" DVD. I ain't selling 'em. The copy of X-Men signed by Bryan Singer and Stan Lee might net me a few bucks, but I like it on my shelf. Smile

If you REALLY want to see Salo, don't bother with shelling out massive coin for the disc. Just download it off of Emule.

Another person I know has a sealed copy of the pan-and-scan VHS releases of the first pressing of the Star Wars Special Edition. Yes, campers, it's on VHS tape. Not the originals. Not in the correct aspect ratio. It might get you $10 at a pawn shop or possibly a deal with an insane Star Wars collector. But those tapes still sit on his shelf, thinking that "they might be worth something someday".

Jason
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Look ma, I have an expensive DVD! Reply with quote

Jason Whyte wrote:

If you REALLY want to see Salo, don't bother with shelling out massive coin for the disc. Just download it off of Emule.

Or just buy one of the many import discs that sell for far less.

"Oh, pfft, of course not. If it isn't the original Criterion printing with the white ring I'm not interested."

That's when you know it isn't about the flick, it's about owning something that few others own.

We've all probably got treasures we didn't know were treasures I was surprised to find out about some of this stuff (that I own) when I hit eBay to research the piece. I'm tempted to sell that Twin Peaks set. eBay seems evenly divided between buyers who want Season 1 and aren't aware that Paramount will probably re-issue it (along with the pilot episode) within a year or so, and sellers who are aware of it and are taking advantage of it.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Look ma, I have an expensive DVD! Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
I'm tempted to sell that Twin Peaks set.

Do it, because, as you guessed, the reissue is indeed due within the year.

Oh, and excellent article.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip (and the feedback). I just put it up on that there eBay.

----------
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you worry, though: No matter how elitist Criterion is, I suspect they're not above basking in the publicity an extremely rare release of their grants them. Sure, they'll re-release "Salo", but why am I expecting them to slap "the reissue" in large bold letters at the bottom of the cover design just to make the original item still the object of attention from collectors with too much money?

And $155 for "They Might Be Giants", a DVD I picked up in the bargain section and did not particularly enjoy.... Hmm...

Jason Whyte wrote:
The only collector items I have are several signed DVD's and a copy of the original, discontinued "Giant" DVD.

Would that be the Canadian-only edition? I think I have it, but it might be a later release.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Paquin wrote:
And $155 for "They Might Be Giants", a DVD I picked up in the bargain section and did not particularly enjoy.... Hmm...

Someone is asking $155. Whether anyone answers remains to be seen...

----------
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD edition of "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie" truly IS out of print, has been since shortly after its release, and probably will be for some time to come. This was good news for me, because I bought it when it came out, and recently sold it (in near-mint condition; I'd only watched it a couple times) for $80 on eBay. It's possible I burned a copy for myself first, since it's the movie I care about and not the packaging, but it's also possible that I would never engage in such acts of piracy.
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not piracy as long as you keep the copy within the confines of your living quarters. In that regards, it's "A backup copy for your own archival use." Wink

Quote:
Would [Giant] be the Canadian-only edition? I think I have it, but it might be a later release.

I have the first pressing of the Canadian version, a release that wasn't supposed to happen. It has an anamorphic transfer in 1.78, while the in-print Warner version is 4x3 letterboxed at 1.66:1.

So basically, the disc is wanted by people with 16x9 displays. When Warner re-releases the Giant DVD in anamorphic (and I'm sure they will), the Canadian version will most likely have zero value.
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great column- and its really the same issue across the board with any other hobby.

I learned a looong time ago through the comic collecting world that there really isn't much around these days that's considered a true collectors item unless its an item from at least as far back as the 60's- this is primarily because many items today are produced with the collector's market in mind, meaning its already being overproduced- the stuff that's worth the money is the stuff that wasn't created with the idea of resale value twenty years down the line- it was made for an owner's enjoyment of the thing. Even some of the more expensive comics from the 70's have come down so much in price I can pretty much finish up my X-Men collection within a couple of hours and never go over $50.

Stuff is produced at such a large rate and with such speed that there's nothing that can't be reproduced and mass produced down the line from when it was considered "special". I remember my friends in college bragging about their various rare laserdiscs, but really, who's going to pay top dollar for those unwieldy relics now?

The two DVD purchases I went a little more on were both in the interests of getting the most out of films I really enjoyed- the out of print Robocop (is it criterion? I think so) which included the extra grue and commentary by Verhooven pared down to a bare bones release not even a year later, and a non-letterboxed Brit copy of Croupier which was about a year from seeing a letterboxed US release, which was unacceptable to me as I watched it at least 5-6 times prior to that release and still haven't upgraded to the more current version. But in both cases, resale was never an issue, it was content. I could never see the point even before ebay and mp3 burning- stuff on video is just so easy to replicate, how do you maintain value?[/i]
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Look ma, I have an expensive DVD! Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:

Do it, because, as you guessed, the reissue is indeed due within the year.

Just unloaded it for $135.

----------
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> OOPs: Or, Why DVD Collectors Are Suckers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: