Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index Hollywood Bitchslap
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And the Oscar host is...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: And the Oscar host is... Reply with quote

Jon Stewart.

Hot diggity damn!
SonicXtreme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure this news can be trusted? It did say

Quote:
two unidentified insiders

Still, this would ten different kinds of awesome if it were true.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news has been floating around in increasingly credible sources, and considering a) they are scheduled to name the host today, and b) nobody else's name has popped up in any of the gossip, it seems like the real deal.

Unfortunately, the show will be produced once more by Gil Cates, which means we'll be stuck with a show just like Stewart's last one: plenty of hipster humor watered down with shitty production ideas. But I think this time, Stewart will win out over any Catesisms.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official. best line: Im thrilled to be asked to host the Academy Awards for the second time because, as they say, the third times a charm, said Stewart.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I dig Jon, Colbert would be a riot.

Can you imagine all the plugs for Tek Jansen and all the finger-wagging at the liberal Hollywood tree-huggers?

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: so who... Reply with quote

so whow's [=who+was] your favorite?

regardless of anyone else's judgement, i still think that billy crystal was right up there...

that said, who would you have suggested instead of the [oh so 'sponge-worthy'] mr. stewart?
SonicXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can actually understand what you just said. Weird.

Anyway, I'd take Robin Williams. I like him.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Jon Stewart. I am thrilled.

Craig Ferguson might be an interesting choice someday. Maybe now that Letterman and Oprah are so chummy, they could co-host.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever gets tapped to host the Oscars doesn't matter, it will be the same thing as usual -- pretentious self-congratulation, claims of excellence in Hollywood while everything negative is lightly dismissed amid toothless wisecracks because you still need to work with those guys the next day (remember when Weinstein was the bad boy?). And don't blame Cates either -- he's just the latest franchise author, the play's pattern was set down back in Bob Hope's days, perhaps even earlier.

Anyway, since the number of theatrical releases I've seen in 2007 is close to zero, it's not like I have a reason to watch the Oscars, except if I suddenly started craving for vacuous speeches and kitschy grandeur.

And Jon Stewart... well, from what I've seen of him and Colbert, it's not like they do anything more groundbreaking than Rick Mercer was doing in his heyday a decade ago, before he started shmoozing with the very public figures he used to lambaste. A satirist's worst enemy is popularity, and when Stewart gets tapped to host something like the Oscars just means he's very close to falling into that trap as well.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Paquin wrote:
Whoever gets tapped to host the Oscars doesn't matter, it will be the same thing as usual -- pretentious self-congratulation, claims of excellence in Hollywood while everything negative is lightly dismissed amid toothless wisecracks because you still need to work with those guys the next day (remember when Weinstein was the bad boy?). And don't blame Cates either -- he's just the latest franchise author, the play's pattern was set down back in Bob Hope's days, perhaps even earlier.

Anyway, since the number of theatrical releases I've seen in 2007 is close to zero, it's not like I have a reason to watch the Oscars, except if I suddenly started craving for vacuous speeches and kitschy grandeur.

And Jon Stewart... well, from what I've seen of him and Colbert, it's not like they do anything more groundbreaking than Rick Mercer was doing in his heyday a decade ago, before he started shmoozing with the very public figures he used to lambaste. A satirist's worst enemy is popularity, and when Stewart gets tapped to host something like the Oscars just means he's very close to falling into that trap as well.

Translation: "I don't go to movies, and I don't watch the Oscars. Hence, I have nothing to contribute to the discussion and am writing this post just to hear myself write."
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTinkles wrote:
Translation: "I don't go to movies, and I don't watch the Oscars. Hence, I have nothing to contribute to the discussion and am writing this post just to hear myself write."

As I said a year ago or so, I completely withdrew from watching films, except what I can see for free on television. Ninety percent (I guess) of what is playing doesn't even interest me, and I have better things on which to spend what little money I have. As for the Oscars, I think I've watched enough ceremonies (and read enough about them) in past years to be able to say that it's always going to be the same thing, regardless of who hosts it.

As for "hearing myself write", I don't type that loudly. I don't have that type of ego, either.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, considering that participation and interaction on this forum is minimal at the best of times it's probably a good idea that we don't jump down other people's throats and stomp all over their opinions simply because we don't agree with what they say or how they say it.

Just a thought.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Bartley wrote:
Ya know, considering that participation and interaction on this forum is minimal at the best of times it's probably a good idea that we don't jump down other people's throats and stomp all over their opinions simply because we don't agree with what they say or how they say it.

That's ok, maybe what I posted should have been more diplomatic, but I was not intending it to sound arrogant; sorry if that's how it came across. I know that since I decided not to write here anymore and (more importantly) that my interest in film has dwindled to practically nothing I don't really have much of a reason to continue reading these forums, let alone posting here, and I can see I'm overstaying my welcome (that's why I have considerably curtailed my own activity here; I used to read these forums every day, now it's maybe once a week unless there's a hot thread).

Nevertheless, I fail to see how "groundbreaking" Stewart and Colbert's shows (which we do get here in Canada, but past midnight) are. In fact, I believe the comparison with our own Rick Mercer (who has been at it since 1993 with similar formats, and I suspect similar concepts have existed in Britain and elsewhere long before that) can be made. Mercer has moved from satirist to cheerleader (of politicians and, especially, the armed forces), and I see the same things happening on Stewart and Colbert's shows (especially Stewart): the straight, serious interview with more than occasionally softball questions that a satirist should stay away from like the plague. When I see Stewart hosting something as intrinsically phoney like the Oscars (and last year was painful, though I watched only maybe the last hour of it), I can only say that he's lost his edge.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Poopy Pumpkin Trouper Review Quelled... Reply with quote

Alex Paquin wrote:
MP Bartley wrote:
...considering that participation and interaction on this forum is minimal...good idea that we don't jump down other people's throats... *

That's ok, ... I know that since I decided not to write here anymore and (more importantly) that my interest in film has dwindled to practically nothing I don't really have much of a reason to continue reading these forums, let alone posting here, ... I used to read these forums every day, now it's maybe once a week unless there's a hot thread).

Nevertheless, I fail to see how "groundbreaking" Stewart and Colbert's shows (which we do get here in Canada, but past midnight ** ) ... When I see Stewart hosting something as intrinsically phoney like the Oscars ..., though I watched only maybe the last hour of it ** ), I can only say that he's lost his edge *** .

* well, this soft/cushy approach would have been wellcomed [=well+welcomed] when i first started posting and was met with increasingly critical response...better late than never, i guess

** oh dear, past midnight, not in my cdn time zone, but nonetheless have you declined to master the fine art of 'recording'...?

also, weren't you the trooper to stay up late enough to watch the last hour of last year's ceremonies...you phony finger-pointing fogey...

*** could it be that he's gained a plane as opposed to having lost an edge...

...speaking of edge, 'if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space'...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hollywood Bitchslap Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: